Packers’ Grant Done For The Year

I never cheer for an injury to a football player no matter which team he plays for.  However, part of the job is realizing that injuries are all-too-often a reality in the NFL and understanding that depth is an important attribute for a Championship caliber football team.

A few weeks back I had a little preseason trash talking fun with the PackerRanter.  Here is one line I wrote that has suddenly become a reality:

“If Rodgers, Grant, any offensive lineman, or one of your ancient defensive backs gets injured/suspended/arrested then Packers fans will be screaming the ‘sky is falling’ and rightfully so.”

Well in the wake of Ryan Grant suffering a significant ankle injury that will reportedly keep him out for the year, the sky is officially falling in Packer Land.  This is news that was unwelcomed in Green Bay, particularly after they had already found out that defensive lineman Justin Harrell will also miss the entire season after suffering a torn ACL.  Defensive end Johnny Jolly had already been issued an indefinite suspension prior to the season, so the Packers are suddenly looking thin along the defensive line and at running back.

Here are a few telling comments from Packers fans around the internet:

“Bring back Ahman Green.”

“I would say look for TT to sign a veteran…perhaps A. Green from the XFL or Shawn Alexander as a emergency backup”

“I think to rely on unproven players to come through is a big mistake. I think it would be worth the risk of giving up a decent draft pick to bring in somebody proven. Especially as the season goes on and the weather gets colder we’ll really need a solid back to carry the ball.”

“Well, at least now we don’t have to get our hopes up about going to the Super Bowl.”

There is still plenty of talent on that Packers team to respect them as our top divisional foe at this point, but the rash of injuries they have suffered will be one more hurdle for them to jump over on their way to the Super Bowl win that everyone in the media had already bestowed upon them.

The Vikes play the Packers in weeks seven and eleven.  The absence of Grant will only be an advantage, as he has always performed fairly well (not great) against the Vikings defense.  Backup Brandon Jackson is a decent pass catcher, but his three career starts come nowhere close to the experience that Grant had.

The Vikings week three opponents against the Lions also may have become a little easier as they reportedly lost starting quarterback Matt Stafford for a month or so

Our week five opponents, the Jets, lost starting defensive lineman Kris Jenkins for the season due to a torn ACL.

The Vikes take on the Cowboys in week six and they have entered the season with no suitable solutions to their woes along the offensive line, and continue to tweak it around.

Meanwhile, the Vikings continue to get healthier.

[UPDATE:  The Bears decided to get in on the injury action, too.  Linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer is reportedly done for the year due to “illness.”  If my memory serves me correctly, Hillenmeyer was the cause of three of Adrian Peterson’s seven regular season fumbles last year.  It was at least two.]

[UPDATING THE UPDATE:  Okay, I stopped being lazy and looked it up.  Hillenmeyer indeed forced Peterson to fumble three times in the ’09 season.]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

16 Responses to “Packers’ Grant Done For The Year”

1. Norseman66 says:

Adam,
    I don’t mean to nit pick, but don’t your mean Justin Harrell and not Cullen Jenkins who plays for the Jets?

2. Zag says:

If the packers lose a linebacker and a receiver, which is definitely possible, the team will have officially imploded.

Hopefully Favre and Camarillo can work out a good connection before next week.

And hopefully Brad Childress gets hit by a bus and Leslie Frazier takes over as head coach.

Sorry, Zag. I, for one, do NOT hope that BChild gets hit by a bus. Lets not lower ourselves to the level of some fans around the league who shall go unnamed at this time.

Having said that, I do hope that our leader is able to see that we have backed ourselves in a corner personnel wise, and that a solution is needed very soon to save a season of very high expectations. It will be at least week 9 before Sidney can be considered the weapon he was a year ago, and the season could be over by then.

Is it just me, or does Berrian lack in the area of “competitiveness”? Talented, yes in terms of running, hands perhaps, but a good receiver not only can catch the ball, but “wills” himself to catch the ball when necessary. In watching him now for a couple years, I really question if the guy is competitive enough to go get the ball, take the hit, and be the guy Favre wants to throw to. I don’t think BerBar has that in him. Call me out if you disagree.

5. CalVkg says:

bush, bwaaaaa

givin back the trophy

bwaaaaaaaaaaa

6. Fran the Man says:

I just picked up Brandon Jackson for both my fanatasy leagues. Other than Chris Johnson,who I have on both my teams, I was a bit weak at RB. Hope the Packers stick with him!
    Too bad about Grant.

And I’m with the coach, I wouldn’t want to see Childress hit by a bus either. . .unless I can be the one driving the bus 🙂
    Just kidding Coach, relax.

7. wtfvikesfan says:

Vikes ready to make a move?
    2:28
    PM ET
    Minnesota Vikings
    TopEmail

The Minnesota Vikings’ need for a wideout was well-documented prior to the season-opening loss to the New Orleans Saints, and it was clear afterwards to anyone that watched the game unfold. Given some comments from team owner Zygi Wilf on Monday night, they might be ready to do something about it.

“We built a team that we expect to go all the way,” Wilf said Monday night, per Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “We’re not holding back right now. … We pretty much feel that we’re all in. We’re going to try our best to fulfill our goal.”

As Zulgad points out, that seems to be a clue that they’ll make a play for WR Vincent Jackson, who will be ineligible for two more games or five more games based upon what an arbitrator rules this Thursday. Asked about the possibility of trading for Jackson, Wilf said, “I wouldn’t comment on anything we plan or anything like that.”

Maybe not, but given all the smoke we keep seeing on this one, it appears that there’s a fire in the North Star State.

– Tim Kavanagh

8. wtfvikesfan says:

Stafford could miss just a week
    8:43
    AM ET
    Matthew Stafford | Lions
    TopEmail

Monday was a particularly busy day in the NFL’s injury ward, and one of the more devastating injuries was to Detroit Lions’ franchise QB Matthew Stafford. One report indicated that the Lions feared he could miss up to eight weeks, although that seemed a bit extreme to those close to the team.

On Tuesday, Dr. Stan Sczecienski of Garden City Hospital appeared on WDFN-AM in Detroit (per Tom Kowalski of MLive.com), and indicated that Stafford’s shoulder injury wasn’t as bad as it was originally thought. Although he hasn’t examined Stafford, Sczecienski thinks it could just be a contusion, and not a separation based on the nature of the hit and the fact that Stafford said there was no labrum injury.

Here’s the best part: if it’s just a contusion, Stafford will only miss a week or two.

Stafford has plans to visit with Dr. James Andrews this week for an official diagnosis.

– Tim Kavanagh

9. fozz44 says:

Grant is out for the season with an injury. And I’m ecstatic.
    The Vikes should now be the clear favorites in the Norse division….but not likely.

10. Zag says:

I’d say we’re clear favorites. But you’ll never hear an analyst say that. The packers o-line isn’t good enough to hold up against a good pass rush, and Rogers still has issues with holding the ball too long.