Vikings React To Second Loss

Below are various quotes from various Vikings about starting off 0-2:

BRETT FAVRE

“One of the biggest reasons I wanted to not play [this season] was dealing with losses,” Favre said. “I love the guys, I love to win. … To me, you multiply it by 10 hundred times when you lose. That’s how it feels.”

Favre also faced questions about his chemistry with Bernard Berrian and the possible decision for his team to trade for Vincent Jackson.

“I put it where I wanted, put it that way,” Favre said of his intercepted pass in the red zone. “Guy made a play. I was trying to make a back-shoulder throw. We didn’t have much end zone. Now, I look at the picture on the sidelines — Shiancoe’s wide open. We had a double-stick call with a fade backside. Obviously, I hit Bernard on that play earlier. … The primary read on that is the double-stick. But I’ve completed a lot of balls to my secondary and third receiver when the other guy might have been open. I just play off instincts. I wish I would have thrown it to the tight end.”

“I think Bernard’s heart is in the right place,” Favre said. “I believe in my mind he did all he could do. If I felt otherwise I wouldn’t throw it to him. We go to bat with who we got, me included. That’s the way it is. I’m not going to look out to my left or look out to my right and say, ‘I’m not going to throw it over there.’ I’m not going to play that way. That’s the way it is.”

“I’m not going to sit here and play Monday morning quarterback,” Favre said when asked about his take on the playcalling. “Do I think other plays would have worked? Who am I to say? We tried just about everything in the playbook during the course of the game.”

“You guys are going to be the ones who can print that a little clearer. I know this — 0-2 is not good,” he said.

“It’s like this — I came back to give this team a chance to win, be a part of it,” Favre said. “My hope is that we still do that. I know it’s going to be tough, I knew it was going to be tough to begin with and all I can ask of myself and this team is effort, great effort.

Unfortunately, that last line sounds like a guy that may have already given up.

“It’s a 14-game season right now, and we’re sitting at the bottom of it,” Favre said. “What we do with it from here remains to be seen. Won’t be any easier.”

ADRIAN PETERSON

“It’s very frustrating, especially when I’m put in a position to make a play on fourth and 1,” Peterson said of being stopped on the goalline on fourth down. “I feel like I’ve got to come through and make it happen no matter what. By all means, I’ve got to get in there. I fell short so I’m putting that on my back, on my shoulders.”

“If I have to carry it 50 times, I’m in for that,” he said. “Whatever it takes for this offense to win and be productive, I’m all in. That’s my mentality. If they want to give it to me 10, 15 plays in a row I’m going to do my job and be productive.”

PERCY HARVIN

“I wouldn’t say hit the panic button just yet, but there’s a sense of urgency that has to come real quick to get this going,” Harvin said. “The thing about this team is we’re not scared to work.”

“It’s sore, it’s hurting,” Harvin said of his re-aggravated hip injury. “We’ll re-evaluate it [Monday] to see what’s going on.”

“It just grabs some,” he said. “I can’t really get to the top of my speed. It kind of grabs me a little bit and it’s hard to stop and go. It’s just something I’ll keep treating and hopefully it gets better sooner than later.”

“We’re running basically the same plays, it’s just sometime when you have 6-5 receivers, sometimes you can just throw it up to him whether he’s covered up or not and he can make a play,” he said of Sidney Rice’s absence. “From that standpoint, we won’t be able to fix that or find another receiver to replace him, so we’ve just got to come up with different schemes to try to get people open.”

KEVIN WILLIAMS

“You’ve got to play the game,” the normally quiet defensive tackle Kevin Williams said. “You can’t just show up, no matter how many guys you have returning, who’s at quarterback, who’s on the defensive line, who’s at running back. It don’t fricking matter. You’ve got to play the game. When we realize that, we’ll be a lot better. We can’t just show up and think we’re going to win games.”

“I don’t know what’s going on. Everybody needs to check themselves and we’ll go from there. You’ve got to play the game. This is the National Football League. Every team has good players. You’ve got to play the game.”

BRAD CHILDRESS

“I don’t think any of these guys are panicked,” coach Brad Childress said. “But I do feel like the urgency will definitely pick up.”

“You don’t want to cut down that aggressiveness, because if you get tentative or cautious, it’s no way to play the game,” Childress said, sounding oddly content with Brett Favre’s performace. “Typically, if he’s shooting it, you want him to keep on shooting it, and (if) somewhere somebody makes plays around him … you might end up with a turnover.”

“I just thought we had good momentum right there … and was trying to play off that,” he said of his decision to go for it on fourth down on the first drive.  Apparently getting 8 yards on three downs is considered “good momentum” which is a scary thought.

“Same old deal — you’ve got to hold onto the football,” Childress said of his decision to pull Bernard Berrian off of punt return duties and replace him with Greg Camarillo. “That’s what we’re all fighting over.”

“They were close,” Childress said of Chris Cook and Cedric Griffin. “They more got probably a good workout. Probably more of a next-week idea.”

BERNARD BERRIAN

“I was getting ready to jump for the ball, and he just gave me a little shove,” Berrian said of the interception on which he was double covered on a deep route.. “But whatever. No call, that’s all right.”

“When you look back and you see, usually if the cornerback is side-by-side with you, you’re probably going to get a back-shoulder throw,” Berrian said of the other interception that resulted from a pass thrown his way, this time in the red zone.

JARED ALLEN

“I thought we rallied well,” said Jared Allen. “They came out with that big pass and we gave up that opening-drive touchdown, and we fought back.”

“It’s hard, because you fight and fight and fight and keep getting the ball back,” Allen said. “We’ve just got to score points. We need to win the turnover ratio. That’s what it comes down to.”

VISANTHE SHIANCOE

“It takes time to get some cohesiveness,” Shiancoe said. “It’s all part of the process. We have to go back to work. That’s all we can do. All we do is control what’s inside the circle. We lost the game. They’re a good team. It was a winnable game. We gave it away. That’s no disrespect to that team. That’s a good team. But we don’t need to give these games away.”

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

49 Responses to “Vikings React To Second Loss”

1. Favre needs to have more confidance man.

2. Fran the Man says:

Adam, good report as always.
    One quote that you missed from Childress was this one;

“I thought we played about the kind of football that we wanted to play.”

I am SO through with this turd.
    How Wilf doesn’t see this huge mistake is beyond me.

3. CalVkg says:

the d has been good. maybe we’re relying on favre magic too much. all we’ve needed is conservative, mistake-free offense, taking three points when it’s there, and plenty of AD wearing them out for the bigger fourth quarter runs, which we didn’t try to let develop in NO

it’s been a weird start for a lot of teams

Favre said- “We can’t make excuses. There will be what-ifs or shoulda-coulda-wouldas — that’s just part of it. But you go down swinging and you win swinging. You do all you can do, and if we don’t make it, we don’t make it.”
    Adam, you say-

Unfortunately, that last line sounds like a guy that may have already given up.

I dont see that he is giving up, how do you?
    Its frustrating, but lets not point fingers. I think Favre needs to play better, better reads, better throws. But I dont see him throwin in the towel.

That is a good point, as always, carter. I didn’t mean to say he has or will throw in the towel, I’m just saying he sounds like a guy that has.

As we know, what Favre says is not the same as what he thinks. And what he thinks is not the same as what he feels.

But I do know this… he did not sound like a confident leader of men after that loss.

The absence of Sidney Rice is a far greater issue than many of us might have thought, not only physically and strategically, but to Favre’s psyche as well. I posted this a few days ago, Berrian is not a competitor. He has the skills, but not the “fire in his belly”, as I describe it. He’s the guy in the office doing the required amount of work to continue to get paid, but is really not doing anything special to help achieve success. He is the classic opposite of a Wesley Walker.

I’m not feeling the need to defend Favre, he did not play well. But he looks rushed, and he is on most plays. We simply do not give our QB the kind of time needed to look over the field, whether it is Favre or TJack or whoever. On any given play, some defender seems to break through early and force the passing decision.

The coaches should take two issues on their shoulders. 1) passing up the FG in the 1st qtr was not smart regardless of how the game played out. BChild should know better. Miami is a much different team if they have to play from behind. 2) They have wrongly assessed the level of our receivers, again, and left us weak there. Obviously Percy is hurting, but we just are not capable enough at the wideouts, and waiting for Sidney to return will be FAR too late. The Lion game is now a MUST win, and we will need to play better to get that done.

The comments by Jared and kevin are quite telling, the defense is getting more than just a little pissed at the offense and I dont blame them one bit.

johnny, I’m gonna say that Kevin’s comments are sent in two directions… the OL and BerBar. What do you think?

But he should be careful… Where was the DL when the Saints abused us with the run last week?

I’m also gonna say here and now that I expect more from Jared Allen than we are getting in these first two games. I wish he would worry less about crowd noise and more about QB pressure and run-stopping.

• starrc10 says:

I agree, Jared Allen could play better.

I also agree that a defense might expect to win when only giving up 10.5 points per game. Then again, if we ever got ahead, opposing offenses might take some risks and score more. Maybe the defense is actively becoming over-rated.

Agreed coach as the old saying goes, people who live in glass houses shouldnt throw bricks or something like that. I figured Jared would have a tough time against Jake Long though.

Yeah, and comments taken in a losing locker room right after a game should be taken with a grain of salt. They will get into meetings tomorrow and be reminded that we win and lose as a team. Offense, Defense, Special Teams, coaches and even individual players can all find times when they could have won that game yesterday.

IF Load and Shank block that D-end properly in the end zone, we likely win the game. What IF we don’t let Ronnie Brown run for 50 from inside their 5 yard line? What IF Percy catches that ball on the goal line instead of letting it deflect? What IF Chili takes two field goals on 4th downs? We just did not make enough “plays”. (At least AP didn’t fumble!)

• starrc10 says:

Aw random, irresponsible, speculation, you had been missing most of last season, then back you came during the fallout of the NFC Championship game. And here you are still.

8. Zag says:

I absolutely love what Kevin Williams says here. I think it’s obvious that the Vikings didn’t work as hard as some teams in the offseason. Call me out if you like.

The way I see it, hard work always trumps undisciplined talent. Throughout training camp and the pre-season I saw a Vikings team LOADED with talent, but they didn’t seem to be working to hard. We only had a few full-pads practices, a lot of cancellations, a lot of absences, and most of our guys got VERY VERY limited work in the preseason. Is it any wonder that they come out and look rusty?

For a team that lost in the NFC Championship last year, I expected to see more of a chip on their shoulders during camp.

Cameron Wake obviously punched his timecard this offseason, as did Jason Allen.

For the Vikes, I think Madieu Williams did. So did Husain Abdullah, EJ Henderson, and Chris DeGeare.

Did Bryant McKinnie? Did Phil Loadholt? Berrian? Jared Allen, even? These crucial players have been all but invisible in the first two games.

I am 100% questioning the Vikings’ preparation for this season.

I could be in for at least 80% of that Zag. You can only cheat the unwritten rules of the game to a certain degree. We may well have cheated them too far. Yes, preseason has a purpose, especially with the sophisticated level of today’s game. Regardless of the reason for losing, its still losing. I have always taken the positon that every game is a loss until you do something to make it a win.

• Zag says:

Definitely. That’s why I love what Kev Williams is saying. This is the National Football League. Anyone can beat anyone.

I’m thinking of changing my name to Zig. Then we could have these discussions under the heading of… well, I think you see where this is going. I wouldn’t do it without your permission of course, Zag, as well as the advisement of Mrs. Grant, I think.

• Zag says:

By all means…

9. Fergy says:

The good news is we play the Packers and we play the Bears two times every year. That’s 4 wins for us and 2 losses for them. We start winning and keep winning and we are good to go to the playoffs. I’m hoping we get V-Jack and set the pass up with the run. Peterson’s a freak and we need to get teams to start focusing on stopping him once again, so Favre can start slinging it around. He is giving the receivers plenty of opportunities to make plays – they just need to take advantage of them!

Berrian – that was lame when he sat there and expected a call. You can not do that in the NFL or any league for that matter.

• Brent says:

How do you assume that you are going to beat the two undefeated teams in the division while you are the complete opposite in the fact that you have not won a game. Not only that you have had a high score in a game of 10. I understand why but what is happening to fix it. The lions Packers and Bears are all scoring in the 30s and 40s and your scores have been 9 and 10.
      Explain to me how that equates to at least we play the Packers and Bears so that is 4 wins?

10. fozz44 says:

They better get some urgency, and fast.

After the Lions….they’ve got the Jets, Cowboys, Patriots, and Packers.

They need to beat the Lions, and then two of those four to even have a shot of sniffing the playoffs.

11. krugjr says:

with every loss we’re one step closer to picking a real QB in round one….then, in 2 or 3 yrs, we’ll be competitive, I’ll be retired and can watch games, and childress will be given a 10 yr extension….what more can a life-long Purple fan want?

12. CalVkg says:

19. Minnesota Vikings (No. 4; 0-2): If the Vikings drop any faster they’ll get the bends.

ouch!

13. Fran the Man says:

I just clicked on my bookmark for vikingsgab and it looks like a differnt site! Is it just me??

It doesn’t say anything about Vikingsgab other than in the browser.

14. CJ says:

Not to worry Fran, we were just making some design changes, and you happened to visit in the middle of things. 🙂

Everything’s been updated now. What do you guys think of the new look?

Yeah, Fran, thought I clicked on the wrong link – bee known to do that. It’s nice, CJ, although I had no problem with the previous look. I’m not a big “chamge” person, so don’t go by me. It looks good.

• Fran the Man says:

Looks good CJ. By the way, who are you CJ??

15. Brett says:

Like the site redesign…

Wow. Love the new look.

Speculation is Viking have made the trade for Vincent Jackson.

My guess….Ray Edwards is part of the compensation package to Charger. Just my guess

17. Norseman66 says:

I love the the new look to the website!!!! Hopefully it will change the Vikings luck also. They need all the help they can get!!!

Hate the new look.

• c.carterhof says:

Just kiddin, its very cool.
      I do hate being 0-2, its a real bummer.

However, being the optimist that I am. There have been some good teams that started 0-2. There were 3 just last year. The year before that the Giants did it and won it all. In 2003 the Eagles were and ended up going 12-4.
      Or, it could be that I am a incurable homer.

• c.carterhof says:

That should have said-

There have been some good teams that started 0-2. In 2008 there were 3 that made the playoffs. The year before that the Giants did it and won it all. In 2003 the Eagles were and ended up going 12-4.-

Geez, I need a Colt 45. And a Viking victory, or two. Or two beers and one win.

Wow, I thought I just entered the twilight zone. Kinda cool though but I’m like Coach on the change thing. CC, its probably a little of both for you. Vikes need to give us a little optimism pretty quick tho.

So when the Vikes start 0-2, Tomb & Freds go into their hole, or what?

You guys aint gonna believe this.

Report: Baskett to sign with Vikings
    Posted by Judd Zulgad

Last update: September 21, 2010 – 8:48 PM

The Vikings haven’t traded for Vincent Jackson, but they did move to add a wide receiver on Tuesday.

Hank Baskett, who got his start with the Vikings, will be signing with Minnesota after being let go by Philadelphia, according to the NFL Network.

Baskett, 28, was released by the Eagles on Tuesday so Philadelphia could sign running back Joique Bell off the Buffalo Bills’ practice squad.

Baskett was active for the Eagles’ first two games but had no receptions. He has 76 career receptions for 1,080 yards and six touchdowns in four-plus seasons.

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Baskett will give the Vikings some much needed size in their receiving corps.