Chargers say ‘No’ to Vikings for WR Vincent Jackson


The Chargers have been offered a second-round pick and a conditional pick in 2011 by the Minnesota Vikings for wide receiver Vincent Jackson, three sources said Tuesday, but that deal looks dead because the Chargers have asked for a second- and third-round pick for 2011.

The Vikings, who are willing to sign Jackson to a one-year deal worth approximately $6 million, would throw in the conditional pick for the Pro Bowl receiver if they signed him to a long-term contract. Jackson would replace wide receiver Sidney Rice, who will miss at least the first half of the season after hip surgery in training camp.

The Chargers are asking for the second- and third-rounders based on the price the Denver Broncos got for wide receiver Brandon Marshall in April. The Broncos received two second-round picks for Marshall from the Miami Dolphins, however, the Dolphins made the deal after agreeing to a five-year, $47.5 million deal with Marshall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Vikings Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to del.icio.us  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

14 Responses to “Chargers say ‘No’ to Vikings for WR Vincent Jackson”

  1. Fran the Man says:

    A couple high draft picks, 6 million bucks for half a season’s work? I’m now thinking I don’t like this deal.

    If the same Favre from last season was still with us, I’d feel better about this deal but that guy is gone, leaving us with no one to take advantage of V. Jackson’s talent.
    I just can’t see giving up 2 high draft picks next year when we have so many needs that can be addressed in the draft. Not to mention the 6 million bucks.

    I think we’re going to need that 2nd round pick next year if we do the right thing and move up to get our QB.

  2. Fran the Man says:

    45 minutes to go. Will we make a deal??

  3. Fran the Man says:

    45 minutes later. . . No deal.

    • CalVkg says:

      yeah, and harvin’s not practicin’, favre didn’t need practice in the pre-season, sullivan and rice couldn’t, whatever. i think of this season so far as the allen iverson year, “practice? practice? we talkin’ ’bout practice here?” keeeeeriiiiisssttttt!!!!!

      i still think we should’ve taken housh for $850K, or walker after the first game. cheap, cheap, cheap to try them out, then if they’re not worth it, c-ya; might’ve helped, but now we’re 0-2. the chargers’ FO are known around here to be buffoons, so this doesn’t surprise me about vj. at least our FO made a move and got hank, fwiw. we’ll see

      judd and chip said the team isn’t the same, that the spark is gone. this sunday IS a must win, imo

  4. Brett says:

    …and news of more “Harvin Headaches”….

  5. Purple Charlie says:

    I would haved liked to have seen Jackson, But what the Chargers whated was alittle too much…

    2nd was fine. Plus Two 3rd round picks!!!

    Not so much…

  6. Fran the Man says:

    It sounds like the GM of the Bolts is a complete idiot.
    Apparently he torpedoed this deal just to spite Jackson.
    Incredible.

  7. phil says:

    damn it. we shouldnt draft a qb joe webb will be the next vick

  8. Jawsers says:

    Wasn’t worth the picks. I am glad we didn’t trade for him. We need these picks to re-tool this team, maybe trade up draft day for one of the qbs this year.

  9. Lost Viking says:

    Unfortunate Spielman couldn’t work a deal. V Jackson at 27 is one of the top fifteen NFL receivers. How much did his extra baggage weigh on the asking price?

    Now we can question decision to put Jaymar Johnson out for season on IR. Don’t believe he can make it back after game six.

    Signing V. Jackson may have required Vike to make a decision on Berrian. Not sure the option existed to keep Rice V. Jackson and Berrian.

  10. Zag says:

    The Jackson trade would not have been worth it. I could care less about Zygi’s money, but we need those draft picks, especially considering the number of free agents we have.

    Giving up all those picks to sign a guy who will only play 2/3 of the season? No thanks. Plus, this whole ordeal shows that he’s kind of a douche, so screw him anyways. Whatever happened to character? Because I’m not seeing much in the NFL.

Leave a Reply