No More Calf Roping

For a long time, we have enjoyed watching Jared Allen rope an invisible calf after he sacks an opposing quarterback.

Apparently, the NFL has somehow never previously noticed that Allen’s sack celebration is directly prohibited by an NFL rule that states that players cannot go to the ground in celebration.

If Allen continues to do the celebration as he always has, however, then the NFL will now fine him and also give the Vikings a 15 yard penalty.

With no mullet, no calf roping, and only one sack that was barely even a sack at all, Allen may hardly be recognizable by the end of the year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

8 Responses to “No More Calf Roping”

1. Ole says:

too bad about the calf roping thingy

it was good to watch the Bears get the snot beat out of them today

Good. It annoyed me every time he did it, so count me pleased. Now go get some sacks, money boy!

3. Zag says:

I love his calf rope. The reason he isn’t doing so hot this year is because he cut his hair, obviously.

Here’s my thing about Jared Allen…

1. Unless “cheerleader” is in his contract, I don’t need him spending time motioning for the crowd to cheer. He has formations to check, keys to be reading, and defensive changes to listen for. Focus on playing well and give us something to cheer about. If a guy with that kind of contract has one sack after three games, the last thing he should be worried about is crowd noise.

2. The calf rope thing reminds me of Carlos Jenkins taunting over a guy who just caught a 13 yard pass to keep a drive alive. The games are not about one play, or one man’s stats, they are about the final result. A “sack” is simply tackling a relatively easy target, so I’m not sure it warrants such a show. If it ends a drive or a game, OK, a little extra fist pump or something, but come on, Jared. The game is not about YOU! I prefer the guys who simply do what they are expected to do, then go back to the hudle and get ready to go do it again.

I’m sure I’ll take some shots for this, but that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.

• c.carterhof says:

Ill take a shot Coach.
      The way I see it this game is supposed to be fun, F-U-N. When it stops being fun for you its time to quit.
      Its a tough game, violent. It takes alot of hard work to succeed at this level. And its fun to be good, and when you’re having fun sometimes you gotta let it out. Celebrate.
      When my teammates celebrate I think its great and I wanna celebrate with them. I dont think they are being selfish, they are having fun. It is just a sack, but sacks are a big deal, drive killers. And if you can get one a game, thats very good.

I have always maintained that “fun” comes in the form of winning, cart. Team success. I question that in someone when they are celebrating a tackle in the first quarter. Besides, a DE’s job includes stopping the run and pressuring the passer on every play. I don’t deny the player the personal satisfaction of a tackle or a sack or a defended pass, but why the showboating for doing what you are supposed to do? Is the QB allowed to do a “calf rope” every time he completes a pass? There is too much thinking to be done in a football game to be puttin’ on a dog and pony show.

It doesn’t stop at Allen for me. End zone dances, chest pounding, gorilla struts, all that stuff is a bunch of BS in my book. I want the other guy to know it was no big deal to knock him on his ass, because it most likely will happen again real soon, and its no big deal to be in the end zone because we’re planning to come back here several more times today.

Just me, guess I gotta learn to live with it.

Jared will still do the calf rope thing, he just can’t put the one knee on the ground is all. He’ll hold it just above the ground.

Buds, for the most part, Fragile agrees with you. It gets old seeing the celebrations. Yesterday Freds saw some jackass lineman after a sack, pretend to hit himself with a stun gun and began to shake and quiver like he was being electrocuted. What a complete A hole.

Freds like Carters does like to see celebration between teammates after a good play, it does fire up the group, but this pre planned “dance and show” crap is for the birds. And a note to the defense…if you give up 6 yards but lay a good hit, you still got beat so don’t celebrate.

6. Brett says:

Worrying about what Jared Allen will do after a sack is like worrying about what Berrian will do after a reception (or maybe even better yet, a touchdown!)… it hasn’t happened nearly enough yet to pay it any mind. Jared has been manhandled one on one so far this year – he needs to keep his head in the game like ‘Coach’ says up there and FOCUS (or maybe we should just trade McKinnie to the Jets to allow him some big numbers one week)…