Ray Edwards Thinks NFL Hates The Vikings

With a losing record comes frustration.

With frustration comes complaining about the officiating.

Ray Edwards, who is never shy about giving a quote that makes him look foolish, recently took issue with the NFL’s decision to fine him $15,000 so far this year.

“I think they just hate the Vikings,” Edwards said on Monday. “Me personally, I’m watching games, guys getting holding calls. We watch our tape — we get held more than anybody, but we don’t get those calls. So, I guess because we’re the outlaws, I guess that’s just how it goes.”

Edwards is certainly right that there has been some blown calls in their first three games.  However, each of the other 31 teams could claim the same tragedy for every game they have played… or ever will play.  The Vikings lost two games because of their inability to score points, not because of missed holding calls.

Most recently, against the Lions, Edwards was fined five grand for hitting quarterback Shaun Hill in the head and also for shoving guard Rob Sims which helped to start an on field brawl between the two teams.

“I was the only guy to get fined out of that whole situation,” Edwards said, “and I don’t see how that’s the case when a guy hit my man and I’m protecting one of my guys. So, it is what is. … I’m going to try to get my money back, though.”

Edwards plans to appeal the fine for starting the fight and also one for a late hit against the Seahawks in the preseason.

As we noted yesterday, Edwards isn’t the only Vikings defensive end frustrated with the league, as Jared Allen was warned that he’d be fined and flagged for going to the ground during his “rope a calf” sack celebration.

“I wouldn’t be too mad, but it’s the 15 yards that really get you,” Allen said. “It’s the (unsportsmanlike conduct) penalty. The fine? I’ll eat the money.”

Allen joked that he would slide a piece of cardboard under his knee so he could claim that he never fully went to the turf during his celebration, but it sounds like he’ll be content just to revise his celebration a bit.

“They decide to tell me Week 3 after seven years of doing it. … Whatever. I just won’t put my knee on the ground.”

9 Responses to “Ray Edwards Thinks NFL Hates The Vikings”

In order that I might not make expressions I would later regret, I think it best I not offer an opinion on this situation. Please don’t feel free to be a spokesman for our Vikings, Ray. I want to have your back as a Viking player, but there is a limit…

2. Zag says:

Oh Ray Edwards… I can’t wait until you are part of a trade package to Philly for which we get Mike Vick in return.

• vikingfan1490 says:

no to vick we already have a vick like player in webb not to mention webb is stronger and bigger ..i say we trade ray edwards to a team that needs a de for a pick that way we can build threw the draft becuz the vikings have to many holes …

3. starrc10 says:

I say no thanks to the Vick trade.

I just really want Jumpin’ Joe to become a great QB. Maybe he can learn something from Favre’s success AND Tarvaris’s lack of success.

Ray Ray’s big mouth is the reason I’ve never really liked him and the fact that he thinks he’s ten times better than he really is. Dude is a real live jackass. No offense meant to all the donkeys of the world.

• Fragile Freds says:

Hey Bjohnny,

Where ya been?

Ray Ray is just “keepin’ it real”. What ever the hell that means. Freds thinks it means that when your mouth can’t keep up with your playing ability you “keep it real”.

Regarding Vick, no thanks.

Freds thinks Don McNabb will be wearing purple next year, in the event that he does, Fred will be saving his wrath for Childo. Freds does not want McNabb in Minnesota, not playing football, taking vacation, flying over the state, on a Greyhound bus or any other form.

Glad your back BJohnny we missed your comments here in the blog, and I hope bail wasn’t too much to get you out.

I hate to disappoint ya Freds but your old pal wasnt in jail. I’ve been working way too many hours and found out I’m no spring chicken anymore. How do you keep up working with guys 20 years younger? If only I could have been a shut down corner.

Well, that is good news because Johnny Cocoran is well, not available.

Hang in there BJohnny!

Freds, the old saying ” all work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy ” is very appropriate in my case I assure you.