Favre To Bench Himself?

On Monday I suggested that the Vikings should bench Brett Favre based off of his poor performance, injury status, and off the field concerns.

Apparently Favre himself might agree with one of those reasons to bench him.

“You’re not going to make every throw but I would have made some of those throws,” said Favre on Wednesday. “From that standpoint, I don’t want to play just to play.”

“I’ve been fortunate to not have arm issues in 20 years,” said Favre. “I had the biceps a couple of years ago but as far as just nagging. Pitches get it all the time, as a quarterback it’s a lot like a receiver or a running back, you get nagging issues or your legs or whatever that poses a problem. I had tendinitis [in 2000] and I was out all of camp.

“Prior to that if you had told me tendinitis would keep me out I would have laughed at you because I always looked at it as, ‘That’s kind of a wimpy injury. It was painful. Very painful and for people who have had it lifting things is a problem. So throwing 50-yard bombs is even tougher. We’ve been treating it, it’s been there for several weeks. It hasn’t gotten any worse but it really hasn’t gotten better.”

“It would probably seem maybe a little more logical that 20 years and having played through a lot of things that you would say, ‘OK’ … ” Favre said. “I don’t know for sure in answering that question, but I would think they would, Brad [Childress] and Darrell [Bevell] and those guys, would trust in me that if I felt like one or two throws a game [you can’t make that is one thing] but if I feel like there’s more than that on a consistent basis where, ‘Boy, he makes that throw,’ I should be able to address that with them and I believe I would.”

I highly doubt that Favre will end his consecutive start streak by sitting out of Sunday’s game against the Cowboys, but the threat is there that he conceivably could sit or perhaps play only a part of the game on Sunday.

This means that Brad Childress will probably be milking this for all it is worth between now and then, trying his best to get the Cowboys to split their focus and try to prepare for two quarterbacks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

9 Responses to “Favre To Bench Himself?”

Banjo will never take himself out of a game. Dude is waaay to self centered.

There is no better time to bench this guy than right now IF he isn’t physically healthy. No one at all would be pissed at the coach (except Farve) if he said, “ummmmm, we play the guys, who, ummmm give us the best shot to win on any given Sunday……ummmmm.” Not even Deanna Farve would be pissed at Childo.

To hell with the streak. If he has to start, fine, then the first time this richard throws a 15 yard pop fly to a receiver who was running a 10 yard out then grips his elbow, he needs to sit next to Dugan or Erin Henderson or some other pine gatherer.

If Brett came back for the Team, And has trouble during the Dallas game, He needs to really pull himself out for the Team…

I’m with Freds about the streak…

3. wtfvikesfan says:

PM ET
    Sidney Rice | Vikings
    TopEmail

The last time we updated you on Sidney Rice’s recovery from preseason hip surgery, we noted that the Minnesota Vikings’ trade for Randy Moss did not appear to be a move signaling that Rice wouldn’t be able to return in 2010.

That still appears to be the case, as the Pioneer Press reports that Rice insists his going on the injured reserve is not an option for this season. However, there was also some less optimistic news: Rice added that it was unlikely he’d be ready to play by the Vikings’ Oct. 24 matchup against the Packers.

That means it’ll be at least two more weeks before we see Rice on the field, and that it could end up being even longer than that.

4. CalVkg says:

a week ago somebody, somewhere prolly thot, “wow, we got moss, we’re gonna win every game now”, ain’t happenin’. maybe we turned the corner in the 2nd half on Monday, but if favre’s arm is hurt, we in trouble, boys

After watching this video, Freds now thinks that Banjo has a pretty good idea what we felt like after his NFC championship interception and and his games this Monday past.

The best part is that nobody helps him after he goes down. Freds thinks it was coach of the year Brads showing that he could even hit a guy as wide open as Farve was.

Freds just can’t watch it enough.

• Fran the Man says:

That’s a clasic for sure Freds.
      It wasn’t Brad throwing the ball though, if you’ll look at the video, just before he gets the ball in the balls, Childo is right in front of Farve. He almost blocks the camera’s shot.
      (Guy just can’t get out of the way. . .)

6. Fran the Man says:

IDK, is anybody else getting tired of Favre’s long-winded replies to guestions?
    GadZooks! can that guy go on and on, or what!

“Yeah, I have a real wimpy injury, It’s painful, VERY PAINFUL but being such a incredibly tough guy and all. . .”

Just shut up Favre and throw some TD’s instead of pick-sixes.

7. kaoldre07 says:

I think this all boils down to Favre being a diva. Everyone points fingers at wide receivers around the league especially Randy Moss and accuses them of being selfish babies, but Brett Favre has gotten more media attention in the last 3 years than any arguably any football player ever. Everyone knows that he’s going to play on Sunday especially Favre and Childress. The difference is that Childress is using this strategically and Favre is doing it for more media attention.

If by some act of God we are forced to put Tarvaris in is anyone else shitting their pants? I’ve always said and I’ll say again Tarvaris has absolutely no talent as a quarterback. He is essentially a human victory cigar that we can put in with two minutes left in the fourth quarter when we’re up by 24. I can honestly say I would feel more comfortable putting “Jumpin” Joe Webb in the game because at least he’s got some ability, albeit unrefined ability, but ability nonetheless. However, when it comes down to it there’s no way that Favre is going to ruin his streak that it took him 20 years to accumulate.

8. Jawsers says:

Reporters should just call him Coach Brett from now on.