Favre Botch 2010

Last year, I had to plant my foot squarely in my own mouth when I wrote a series of opinion pieces about how signing Favre was going to end up being a business decision that negatively affected this team on the field.

It is beginning to look like my hack blogger prophecies are beginning to come true, albeit a year later than expected.  But believe me when I say I enjoyed being proven wrong last year, as the Vikings were wildly successful, and I find Favre’s ill timed decline incredibly frustrating and unfortunate.

The honeymoon is over when it comes to Brett Favre, whether you are a fan of his or not.  Favre has turned the ball over 14 times in the first six games on the way to a 2-4 record.  The four losses were decided by an average of 5.5 points per game, and each was within reach.

Favre currently has a quarterback rating of 68.0 which is good for only 30th in the league.  Six players with higher quarterback ratings have, at some point in the season, been on the bench because they were deemed not good enough to start by their coaches.

Now, news comes out that Favre was indeed NOT faking an injury on Sunday night and that he is injured.  He now has two fractures in his surgically repaired left foot.  This can be added to an injury list that includes both tendinitis and hyperactive tear ducts.

Just like two weeks ago when I suggested Favre met any and all criteria for why a coach should bench a player, Childress is again presented with an opportunity to make a change at quarterback without public scorn, thanks to the latest news of Favre’s extensive injury.

Believe it or not, a week from today, we might just be breaking down Tarvaris Jackson’s performance against the Patriots instead of Brett Favre’s.

And that might be a good thing.  After all, Favre’s only two wins came against teams that are both currently 1-5.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

26 Responses to “Favre Botch 2010”

1. Adam Warwas says:

I wish the archives at OAV weren’t closed. I’d love to go back and find some of Fred’s meanie-pants comments to me when I suggested Ryan Fitzpatrick would be a good backup for the Vikes. Fitzpatrick currently has the second best QB rating in the league 🙂

But, I also said Jimmy Clausen was Pro-Ready… so… 50% isn’t bad?

Critical analysis some might say, Others might say meanie pants.

3. Ole says:

would rather lose with T-Joke than win with favre

• Brett says:

Yeah that brings up a good point. I am also sick with Favre in this Sterger thing. What a horrible guy man… even if he DIDN’T send the pictures… which I think he did now… he STILL left this chick voicemails when his wife is DEALING WITH BREAST CANCER! Brett can wear all the pink he wants but.. well, yeah.

Growing up, as a Viking fan, I used to despise the fact that my name was Brett. I’m starting to feel that way again =/

• Fragile Freds says:

Easy Brett, don’t let Favre soil your fine name. There is a long proud history of people named Brett that helped make this great nation what it is today. No shame my friend, take the time to learn about all the wonderful contibutions made by Bretts. For example, let’s look no further than Brett Somers. What would Match Game have been without that Brett? Stand strong old pal!

• Fran the Man says:

I think favre is a douche too, but come on man!

Tjizzle’s popularity has gone thru the roof. If Favre is down do they sign a scrap heap back up?
    Tjax hasn’t exactly been an iron man.

So? We are ready to roll with T-Jack?
    I think a change of pace at this point could be a good thing. Favre is running on empty, a week or 2 of rest would be great. BUT, we ARE talkin about Tavaris Jackson here people. Maybe we should think this thru.

• Fragile Freds says:

No, not ready to roll at all.

It seems like most can agree Favre’s turnovers are the most consistently obvious reason we are at 2-4. T-Jack has been inconsistent, but that means he is not consistently awful, which is what Favre has been for a third of a season now.

Never in Jackson’s career has he turned the ball over at the rate Favre is doing now… at least not for more than a three game stretch.

I know Jackson isn’t ideal, but with this team holding on by little more than a thread, why not try something different and hope for the best?

Jackson’s worst stretches of football came in 2007. Bobby Wade was our top reciever that year. Favre has Moss and Harvin and is’t getting it done.

6. CalVkg says:

i have a sinking feeling that denial is a possibility here
    and that it just ain’t our year

At least we aint Cowboy fans.

8. Norseman66 says:

I posted after the first game of my impression of this team. I said they were a 8-8 or 9-7 team at best. I got blasted by other readers. Well sports fans, guess what? I may have set the bar too high for this team. 8-8 may be the absolute best they can do. QB play sucks, run defense is leaking like a sieve, DB play sucks and there is no pass rush at all. Does Jared Allen even play for the Vikes any more?
    The only good news is that the Vikes will draft higher than they have in years! But, based on what they did on this last years draft, really not much to get excited about.

9. krugjr says:

if the season ended today, we’d be picking 7th……..that would get us a piece of clay……BUT. I’d prefer a new head coach to mould that piece…..

GO VIKES!!!!!

10. Jon says:

11-5, or 10-6 is very possible, we have yet to be dominated by any team. It’s always down to the wire. With TJ in I feel like less turnovers will be made.

Most of favres 14 turnovers came from being sacked or hurried, with TJ’s speed he’ll have more time and our guys will be open. We know TJ can throw the ball, he just needs a more than good offense for him to shine, which he finally has now. I think we can light up NE’s secondary like everyone else has been doing, and with all our deep threats than you have AP, and a mobile QB, it’s going to be interesting.

and like I said before, I’d rather expect nothing and get something, than expect something and get 14 turnovers. 🙂

11. ericthered says:

i think jackson can definitely be successful, let’s keep in mind he will be throwing to randy moss not bobby wade this time around