The Defense Played Well, But Not Well Enough

In the first half of Sunday Night’s loss, the Vikings gave up 14 first downs, 268 yards, and 14 points.  The also came up big with two red zone interceptions, one from Jared Allen and one from Madieu Williams, keeping the team from being behind at halftime.

In the second half, despite three interceptions from Favre (one that went for a touchdown) setting them up with short fields, the defense only allowed 6 first downs, 111 yards, and one touchdown (not counting the pick six.)

Even at the end of the game, the Vikings defense pulled through by forcing the Packers to turn the ball over on downs, albeit with a little help from the refs.

Still, the lack of a pass rush and an outmatched secondary made the defense look a little more suspect than we would normally expect from them.  In the end, some holes on defense combined with Favre’s turnovers caused the Vikings to lose by less than a touchdown for third time this year.

“Coulda, shoulda, woulda. We’re a team of almosts,” said defensive end Jared Allen who only registered one tackle outside of his interception.  “The offense almost scores. We almost get touchdowns. We’ve got to find a way to get something positive going right now. We’ve got to start taking care of the ball and getting more turnovers.”

Even with the loss, the Vikings have the 7th ranked defense in the league, and rank 11th in fewest points allowed.  All things being equal, that isn’t too bad considering that Favre has turned the ball over 14 times in six games.

8 Responses to “The Defense Played Well, But Not Well Enough”

1. hookem says:

I honestly believe our defense is playing as well as they can right now. The problem is that our crappy offense doesnt move the ball which forces the defense to not get rest. So they are always taking the field being tired. The pass rush isnt there but watching the game last night I noticed about 80% of time Allen was being held, maybe they dont call the holds from that side (even thought ref is right there.)

The NFL has come down to QB pressure and turnovers. The Vikes lost both battles last night. What concerns me defensively is that we are now giving up 7 instead of three when a team gets a drive going on us. Had even one of those Green Bay TD drives ended in a FG last night, we’re kicking instead of throwing at the end of the game.

Adam – It sure seems to take us a lot of time to “get going” in our games this year. Two three-and-outs for the offense and two long drives allowed by the defense. That leaves us playing up hill all night. Are we talking preparation issues here?

• Zag says:

I would agree with the “preparation issues” idea. As I stated after the first game of the season, throughout the offseason it just didn’t seem like a lot of the guys were working very hard, if I may say so.

I’m assuming that lack of preparation has manifested itself in the regular season as well.

You can tell who has worked hard: All of our linebackers, Kevin Williams, Letroy Guion, Husain Abdullah, Winfield, AP, Hutch, Herrera. But just because these guys were more dedicated doesn’t mean anything.

The team is not as together as it was last year. There is a sense that they are going through last year’s motions, and it obviously isn’t producing the same results. I don’t see spark from many players, and it just doesn’t feel cohesive.

• Fran the Man says:

That’s a good point Coach. Up until the last couple of games, even after a turnover and the opposing team getting the ball in the Redzone, I never got real nervous, as I felt our “D” would handle the situation. Not any more.
      Now, I get nervous as hell whenever we don’t have the ball (And everytime Favre drops back and heaves one)

3. Jon says:

14 turnovers in 6 games…that just makes me cringe 🙁

4. Sb says:

I feel somyhing that has been overlooked yhis year is the play at right tackle. Phil loadholt has been extremely disappointing this season. His rookie season seemed very promising, but his development has halted even regressed this year. I don’t know if it’s his mental focus or being on worse shape but he continually gets burnt by speedrushers resulting in far too many penalties and pressures.