Potentially On The Hot Seat, Childress Is Making No Friends

With hard times come frustration.   With frustration comes consequences.

Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports mentioned in a column that people from within the Vikings organization were under the impression that a loss to Dallas would result in Childress also losing his job.  Judd Zulgad of Access Vikings disputes the report, saying that Childress was safe at that point.

Safe or not, there is no denying that Childress is currently the captain of a sinking ship and instead of leading his crew in an effort to keep the boat afloat, Childress is firing the cannons at every possible target including his first mate.

Mystery surrounds Childress’ willingness to call out his starting quarterback after Sunday Night’s loss.

“It still goes back to taking care of the football,” Childress said. “You can’t throw it to them. They have to play within the confines of our system … you can’t give seven points going the other way, not in a game like this.”

Perhaps Childress sensed that Favre’s popularity is currently at an all-time low and he was trying to make a play to regain a locker room that, by all appearances, he currently doesn’t have.

Childress didn’t stop with Favre when it came to taking shots, and the officials were up next.

“That’s the worst officiated game I’ve seen,” Childress said following Sunday’s loss. “That referee came over and apologized to me for not calling a hold on the scramble by [Packers quarterback Aaron] Rodgers. And I’ll tell you what, that’s his job. Protect the quarterback and look at the left tackle. Look at the left tackle hold his tail off.”

“The umpire standing on that side, they called a penalty, the guy hadn’t called a penalty all night long and then I don’t know if he got religion or what happened but Bruce [Stritesky] whatever his name didn’t make a call all night long,” Childress said. “Now we’re going to get a facemask. I mean c’mon now. C’mon.”

Additionally, Childress told the media that he had been called by the Director of Officials Carl Johnson and was informed that the league felt that the officials got calls wrong on at least two touchdown plays.

I knew as soon as I heard Childress’ initial remarks that he would be fined, and he had to know it as well.  In the end, Childress will be $35,000 lighter in the wallet, and has not made any friends in the league office in the process.  Childress was lucky not to lose his privilege of speaking with Johnson after disclosing the content of a private and confidential discussion.

While Childress was willing to live in the past for a day or two, he has now begun to look forward, but he has not stopped shooting that cannon.  With these shots, I fear that he might be waking a sleeping giant.

I’m not sure what it is between Brad Childress and Bill Belichick, but I get the feeling the lack of respect is mutual.  Childress once annoyed Belichick by publically calling out Belichick’s attempt to call Childress and prevent him from taking Garrett Mills off the Patriots practice squad.  Then, Childress publically bragged about “outsmarting” the Patriots by being able to snag Percy Harvin in the NFL Draft before the Patriots could do it.  How these two ever worked out a trade for Randy Moss is beyond me.

Perhaps Childress simply despises Belichick for the butt whooping that was planted on his team on Monday Night Football the last time they played.  He obviously thinks the 41-14 score didn’t represent any sort of talent gap between the two teams, but rather it was a sign that something sneaky was going on.

“I’m mindful of the last time we faced [the Patriots] here on Monday Night Football,” Childress told reporters on Monday. “It was like a surgical procedure. That’s back when we used to signal [plays] and things like that. I remember having a conversation with [then-defensive coordinator] Mike Tomlin about that. These were some of the all-time great signal stealers. In fact, that’s what was going on. They were holding, holding, holding. We were signaling from the sideline. They were good at it. It’s like stealing signals from a catcher.”

While Childress is clearly focused on the past, Belichick was not willing to take the bait.

“Right now, we’re just trying to focus on the Vikings, to go and get ready to play them,” Belichick said in response.  “Not really worried about any other games that have happened in the past or any ones that are coming up on the schedule.”

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady (pictured here) not only said his coach would never call him out publically the way Childress did to Favre, he also gave a focused answer when asked about Childress’ comments.

“We’ve been called a lot worse than that,” Brady said. “That’s come and gone. That’s been not a part of football here for a long time, and we’ve still won a lot of games. In ’07, they changed the rule and so forth. I don’t buy a whole lot into that. The team that’s going to win this weekend is the team that plays better. I promise you that.”

So, to recap, in a few short days Childress has successfully furthered the “poor” part of his poor relationship with his starting quarterback, lost more money than many Americans will make this year, possibly alienated himself within the league and amongst the officials to make a point that Vikings fans would have made for him, and managed to give the Patriots one more reason to focus on beating his team to a pulp.

But, who knows.  Maybe this is genius in front of our very eyes.  Maybe it is just crazy enough to work.

We have seen weirder stuff happen around here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

41 Responses to “Potentially On The Hot Seat, Childress Is Making No Friends”

All that matters is wins and losses. These games are so close, comes down to a play or two. I dont think Chilly is losing the team, I dont think what he said about Favre was all that bad. He was just sayin you cant give the ball away, he was frustrated. Had it been Peterson fumbling it would be the same.
    I’m not making excuses for him, was it the right way to go about it? I dont know. Maybe Favre needs to hear that, but maybe not publicly.
    A play or three and we could be 4-2, as a player I know that. So Im not gonna lose respect for my coach cause he said some things about my QB. Hell I might respect him more cause he had the balls to say it. I would be very suprised if this team rolls over anytime soon, too many veterans that wanna win, combined with the talent to get it done. At some point tho, Coach, we do need to step up as a team when the game is on the line and make plays. Without shooting ourselves in the foot.

• CalVkg says:

i agree, cc, these guys are ALL frustrated and it’s gotten to him. but i’ll tell you, i was glad when he said it, because it showed some fire, and it was something different from him that we don’t normally see. i don’t seem him as a great leader, though. they need some kind of jolt soon, they’ve gotta go on a roll just to get to even, so maybe this was ok. we’ll see

• Fragile Freds says:

Agree with Carters. Nothing Childo said would be considered calling anyone out. Has there been players that have said things that would indicate Childress is “losing the room.” Perhaps there are, Freds hasn’t seen them.

Freds, I would go one step further and say that Chili has wisely been pretty restrained. He could ask “Where has our front four been this month?”, or “Why is a snap count so hard to remember?” He could go sarcastic and introduce a new blocking scheme called, “Find a guy in the other colored jersey and hit him.”

In the meantime Chili, work on your part of the game. Substituting legally, deciding when to challenge a call, communicating with your QB, you know, stuff like that. And I’ve always said that time spent ranting against officials is time not spent coaching. Choose the frequency and duration of those times carefully.

• Fran the Man says:

Geez Coach, it’s troubling to me to see you use the words “Childress” and “Wisely” in the same sentence. Something is just not right there.

• Fran the Man says:

B. Grant says: “Fran, in the random sequencing of non-related events within the cosmic calendar, it is statistically possible that those two words could conceiveably come together in a common sentence. I admit it is a statistically significant moment in the galaxy.”

Lots of big words there Coach. I’ll need more time for a reply. . .

• starrc10 says:

Comments like these are why you still have an office in the Viking facilities.

• Fran the Man says:

Freds, I tried to find a group photo of the entire Vikings roster for you but incredibly, could not.
        (Seriously, I googled and yahoo’ed for a group photo and came up empty)

Just to clarify Fran’s point further for you Freds, one is said to “hear” comments from team members, whereas one would “see” those same team members in person or in a photo. Now, I understand that you meant that you had not read (seen) quotes of such comments in the newspaper or on the internet, but it is common to refer to such readings as being “heard”, even though in the technical sense they are indeed, seen. Nonetheless, and as a result of the way in which you worded your post, Fran therefore felt the need to… (jeez, this sounds like Tomb. I gotta stop.)

• Tomb... says:

Not true….to sound like me, you need to make a pudendic reference, or something of the sort…

2. Jon says:

He was saying what was on his mind. If you would of put a camera and a microphone in my face after that game (after i finished my beer of course), i would of said that exact same thing, with a little more french involved.

The league should apologize for that game. I mean maybe every team gets shafted like we do.. (no they don’t i have sunday ticket and watch almost all the games) .. but i mean first the NFC championship game..and now the most important game of this year so far.

oh whelp.

3. wtfvikesfan says:

For those that keep saying everybody wanted TJACK benched. I wasn’t one of them. All the kid did was win. He was thrown in to the fire and still he won. Didn’t think the vikes gave him a fair chance.
    So we don’t loose Frazier. Frazier was working with Favre sunday night coaching him, while chilly was being a idiot.

All I know is we’re 2-4 with a tough road game ahead, our starting QB has 2 fractures in his ankle, we’ve lost a starting receiver and a starting CB, and our front four is square dancing on Sundays. Somebody should be frustrated.

5. titan concrete says:

I agree that favre does need to be called out. He has made some very poor decisions for a veteran. Chilly has some work to do, but the gameplan would be working great if not for the turnover differential. It may not be as fun to watch as last year, but we are in every game down to the last drive. Our defense has been holding their own against some very powerfull offenses, we just haven’t been getting the pressure we need. When we finally do start to click on the offense , watch out.

As far as TJack doing nothing but win?? I believe that his record as a starter is 10-9 and he has only thrown for 3 more tds than int’s. If your from Detroit, that’s doing nothing but win, but I don’t think it will fly here. Maybe with the past year and change on the bench learning, he might be able to help out while our starting qb heals his ankle and clears his “stuff” up with the league and the wife.

6. fozz44 says:

Blame the QB
    Blame the refs
    Blame a loss on stealing signals

7. Zag says:

Bill Cowher comeback tour, starting in Minnesota! Wait… I’d rather have John Gruden. Bring him in!

And Belichick is a douche, no matter if stupid Childress says it or I say it. The guy got caught cheating a few years ago, and is known throughout the league to be one of the worst sportsmen, not shaking hands after games and things like that. He’s a cheater. I can’t believe he’s still in the league after that. I will hate him forever.

8. Chuck Foreman says:

Frazier is not ready to be a head coach. Drop it. He is were he is because he’s not ready. He’s not Mike Tomlin. he inherited a great D.

9. Viking John says:

Not getting off the subject, but the Smooter layed the smack down on me last week in FF. Freds now only owes John’s 2 Colts.
    Be it T-Jack or what ever, this team needs a spark.
    Too much talent to be this shitty.
    Go Vikes

I think 9-7 might just win the NFC North, can the Vikes go 7-3? Well, it is possible with the talent they have. Gotta sweep the rest of the division games. Beat Buffalo and Arizona at home. That leaves 4 games to get one win, at NE, at Philly, at Wash. And home vs the Giants. It wont be easy, but I’m too much of a homer to call it a season just yet. Beat the Pats on sunday and it will be a good start.

• Jon says:

completely possible. and ya either 10-6 or 9-7 is gonna be a tie, and yes sweeping the rest of our division would help a lot cause i feel like we’re gonna tie the packers. and we both have 1 loss to our division. Hopefully the lions step up and beat the packers (like they almost did the first time). If we beat the Patriots, our season is back alive as much as it was last week. I just hope Favre can realize when he can and can not play. but we’ll see. exciting Sunday coming up.

• c.carterhof says:

We beat the Peckers at home and they would have 2 division losses. After a year of not having to worry what the rest of the teams do, we are back at it. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

11. Tomb... says:

Mildly surprised to see anybody defend Chilly even a little bit. He’s acting like a child, lashing out in every direction when he didn’t get his way (a win).

It’s not unlike watching a brat having a temper tantrum, except he even does that in a boring manner.

He just doesn’t seem like he has that natural ability to lead. Way too inflexible.

Plus, in case you didn’t notice, he’s rather bald…not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I agree totally Tomb. To even attempt to lead without a well managed crew cut is an uphill challenge, to say the least. (Did you hear a faint rimshot in the background?)

I think I am more concerned with what I see on Favre’s RIGHT foot. Is this a man in that shoe? My goodness!

I hate technology! That was supposed to be a picture.

• Jon says:

wouldn’t be suprised if I see him on the field with that on.

Thanks cart. The one I was trying to get was a little different, but the point of the girly tennis shoe is the same. C’mon Brett, git yourself a converse all-star on that other foot.

Posted by Mike Florio on October 27, 2010 1:39 PM ET
    Near the end of a low-key Wednesday press conference during which Vikings quarterback Brett Favre addressed the status of what he called on at least one occasion his “broke foot” (they should have had a “banjo” player in the room to set the right mood), Favre addressed the public criticism that coach Brad Childress lobbed Brett’s way after Favre’s three-pick performance against the Packers.

15. Brett says:

In better news… Sidney Rice jogged and caught passes from the Receivers Coach today!

In other news… Favre is still an idiot, Childress is still spineless and McKinnie has a new album coming out on his record label.

I really think Favre won’t play this weekend. Unless I see him in something other than a boot tomorrow (aka shoe), I think it’s completely ridiculous for Childress to allow him to play. Meaning, Favre will definitely play.

• Jon says:

he’ll play first quarter max. He wants to keep the streak but no way he’ll be healthy enough to play an entire game.

16. starrc10 says:

I will be flabbergasted. Yes, flabbergasted if ANY Childress coached team beats a Bellichick coached team.

End of story.

• CalVkg says:

yup, 2-5 coming unless favre or AP goes nuts

• Jon says:

All our games have been down to the 4th quarter, what makes this struggling defense Patriots any different, they haven’t blown anyone out of the water except for that fluke Miami game. Its going to be close, and thats with the Favre turnovers taken into affect, since thats the “norm” this season. 0 turnovers = a win.

17. Brett says:

Would still rather see TJ in this weekend. Favre STILL hasn’t taken a snap this entire week. He may not even practice tomorrow. Any other team/coach would NEVER let him play…

Plus +++ this: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/18663/a-unique-way-of-considering-favres-performance

• Jon says:

Thats a sad article :(. I mean we all know favre can sling the ball. What hes going through right now is all mental, he needs to talk to someone a therapist or something that can help him mentally be the player he was last year.

The man can throw we all know that, we saw him last year. All his mistakes are mental, you can see it on his face when hes gonna have a good game or not, and we’ve seen the same face all year this year… 😐 .. thats the face im talkin about. last year it was 😀 … than sterger 😐 … now us 🙁 …. thats our season summed up in faces.

Childress said his uncharacteristic display of anger about the officiating and Favre’s turnovers were a result of “being aggravated” after Sunday night’s loss at Green Bay. “That’s it,” Childress said. “You snap every now and then. It does happen.”

Childress, though, wasn’t pleased with himself. “I hate when I get that way. I hate it,” he said. “But still fighting those demons and everybody’s got them. Players, coaches. Everybody’s got them. I acknowledge it.”

From Judd.

This dude is just weird. But at least he admitted it.

19. Foreman says:

Quite worrying about the team. The legislature dissed Ziggy and he’s already made plans to move. Childress will win his superbow in LA