Adam’s Opinion: Time For Positive Reinforcement

Vikings Gab readers are no strangers to the laundry list of negative issues and news surrounding this Vikings team right now.  On the field, off the field, in the locker room, at the press conferences… everything feels like it has a dark cloud hanging over it.

That is why I am calling for the Vikings to encourage positive playmaking on the field, strong work ethic in practice, and admirable off the field character.

The Vikings are a team with talent that appears to lack motivation to succeed.  Perhaps instead of the head coach calling out these underachievers in public fashion, it might be more productive to reward those that are producing.

I am of the opinion that the Vikings should give Chad Greenway a lucrative contract extension, which will be needed following this season anyways.

Greenway has been hard working and his 74 tackles are good for fourth in the league, despite the fact that he has already had his bye week.  Greenway also has a defended pass, a forced fumble, and is the team’s most effective blitzer.  He has led the team in tackles every game this season.

By my count, the Vikings have about 18 players, or a third of the team, due to become free agents next year.  Perhaps by rewarding a player who is focused and producing, there will be an added sense of urgency injected into a third of this team, which might just be enough to make these close games turn out a little different.

9 Responses to “Adam’s Opinion: Time For Positive Reinforcement”

Totally agree Adam, great post.

2. vk4life says:

AMEN!!!! Adam!!!! I know when coaching my guys they love positive reinforcement and thrive for more it becomes a hunger. And they expect the same when the make mistakes or slack off that I will be in their face and because of the positives I enforce they respond to the butt chewings!

3. CSlinde says:

Or, by firing Child-y they’ll understand everyone is accountable.

4. vk4life says:

Thanks bigjohnny84, thats just the way I was coached. I think their are 2 coaches that would better fit the bill than myself. AKA Cowher or Gruden. Plus listening to multi millionares whine and pout would drive me crazy LOL. Love the NFL but the passion that is played at the HS and college level is unmatched! I love when one of my players come up to me and say ” hey coach did you see that catch, tackle, block, throw…….” Taking pride in accomlishments for the better of the team!

5. Ole says:

vk4life has a valid point. There is a vast difference between a leader and a “coach”. Listen to what Moss said about Belichick in his press conference, he would run through a wall for the guy. Doubt that Moss has those same sentiments regarding childress. The Vikings need a leader not a coach

6. vk4life says:

Exactlty Ole!! That is why you hire a good O-coordinator and D-coordinator and supporting cast. I actually like Bevell and Frazier and our coaching staff around them. Childress has brought in alot of great draft choices and free agents with the help of Spielman (mastermind). A Cohwer or Gruden type coach would be a welcomed asset to this organization. They to me are the next closest thing to a Bud Grant type of coaching style. I have just lost faith in childresses ho hum attitude no fire no emotion no passion equals failure. We have such great talent on this team not to be at least 4-3. SKOL!!!!

7. Yella28 says:

This is my first post on my favorite vikings blog but i can’t take it anymore Brad Childress & Bevell are the worst coaches in the nfl. They have no creativity in running a offense with a bunch of playmakers.Percy should be everywhere on the feild, Joe Webb should have a package and why the best back in the league sits out most of the 2nd QT.Moss is my man but damn when he gets pressed at the line he gives up on the play, wats up with that Moss?? Wats up with Shancioe??We have a chance to make the playoffs but with no creativity in an offense u just can’t win in this league with a very predictable offense that doesn’t even do play action when we run the ball well.As a vikings fan I’m calling for Childress head even tho he/Brett took us that far. From wat i’ve seen and watching his locker room speeches you can tell the players don’t respect or take his words serious. They must say to themselves geesh are coach is such a cornball lol…

8. Reddawg says:

You can get more with a kind word…. ect ect ect! Elk River just had a “screamer” resign as head coach! Cya! Calm, teaching/coaching goes along way to motivating people (not just players!). I can’t see Chilly yelling and screaming, but ya never know. It’s the so called Pundits in the paper and radio that we have to ignore with their inflammatory rantings.

Go Vikes!