Vikings Take Care of Business Despite Loss of Favre in 38-14 Win

No Brett Favre? No problem.

The Vikings starting QB played just three plays before getting hurt Sunday, but the Vikings didn’t miss a beat, playing one of their best games of the season as they pounded the Buffalo Bills 38-14, at the Metrodome.

Tarvaris Jackson took over for Favre early in the first quarter and threw for 187 yards and two touchdowns. The injury to Favre took place just three plays in, when he was hit from behind by Arthur Moats on his first passing attempt, an interception by Drayton Florence.

Favre was on the sidelines, but didn’t come back in. Jackson completed 15-of-22 passes, but threw three interceptions.

Adrian Peterson, who was questionable with an ankle injury, rushed for 107 yards and three touchdowns for the Vikings (5-7), who earned a 17-13 victory at Washington last week in interim head coach Leslie Frazier’s debut. Minnesota has won three of its last five. Sidney Rice caught five passes for 105 yards and two scores in the victory.

Ryan Fitzpatrick threw for 158 yards on 15-of-25 efficiency with one touchdown and one interception for Buffalo (2-10), which dropped a 19-16 overtime decision to Pittsburgh last weekend and has split its last four games. Florence had two interceptions, and David Nelson had a 12-yard TD reception in defeat.

After Favre was knocked out of the game, Jackson, who failed to help the Vikings put points on the board in his initial set, was picked off on a pass intended for Greg Camarillo by Florence, who returned it for the score to give Buffalo a 7-0 lead with 4:34 left in the first quarter.

Minnesota got the points right back when Jackson heaved a 31-yard pass for Rice, who wrestled the ball away from the defender, but was ruled out of bounds. A replay overruled the initial call, giving the Vikings the touchdown.

Leodis McKelvin fumbled on the ensuing kickoff which led to a Peterson two- yard rushing score that capped a brief four-play, 14-yard drive to make it a 14-7 game early in the second.

The Vikings got the ball back a short time later and again it was Peterson finding the end zone on a short run four minutes into the second quarter. Starting at his own 40, Jackson picked up a first down on a 13-yard scramble that was coupled with an unnecessary roughness penalty to move it to the Buffalo 15. Peterson went up the middle for a three-yard score two plays later.

It quickly became 28-7 when Antoine Winfield’s interception and 41-yard return put Minnesota in business at the Buffalo five-yard line. After a one-yard loss on a Toby Gerhart run, Rice made a diving catch on a six-yard touchdown pass.

Ryan Longwell tacked on a 38-yard field goal as time expired for a 31-7 game at the intermission. After a scoreless third quarter, Fitzpatrick was sacked and fumbled on the first play of the fourth, giving the Vikings the ball at the Buffalo 43. Peterson then took it the distance on the next play for his third score of the contest.

31 Responses to “Vikings Take Care of Business Despite Loss of Favre in 38-14 Win”

1. Ole says:

T-Joke was the MVP. Dugan really proved he was a team player today by allowing all of the other players to carry, catch, block and tackle, he did a fine job of not getting in the way. I noticed that Buffalo elected to kick away from Dugan as well

• c.carterhof says:

Jackson the MVP?
      I would have to give it to Rice for that amazing catch. Or AP for crankin out over 100 on that bum ankle. Or maybe J.Allen, or the entire D.
      But TJ?

• Fran the Man says:

I know you kid a lot Ole, so I’m sure that is the case here.
      As cc said, give the MVP to Rice. He’s the guy that made TJ look good yesterday.

Don’t get me wrong I’m really pulling for Jackson to be the QB Childress thought he could be but I haven’t seen it yet.
      Granted, we won the game with him under center but if it hadn’t been for Rice, he would have had 4 INT’s. He alsohad fantastic field position throuhout the game thanks to our defense.
      I’m also completely blown away that the “Jump Pass” is still part of his arsenal.

Nope, can’t say he’s the answer yet, but I’m pulling for him.

I agree, Fran, but Rice also did a nice job of making Favre look as good as he did last year. That young man is a big weapon when he is healthy, and in the absence of Percy, he came up big for someone who is most likely still in recovery mode. TJacks mobility is certainly a factor for this offense, but his lack of accuracy is as well.

Gotta say this: Favre’s injury was the direct result of BMac thinking that pass blocking is “one or two shoves and watch”. He gave a putrid effort on that play, as though he is only required to give a certain amount on every play. Without a pipe in his hand, he poses little threat to a DE.

• Fran the Man says:

That’s a good point also about Jackson’s lack of accuracy.
          It’s always been a problem it seems, especially on deep balls.

I don’t know, the guy’s mobility is second to none but that’s his best attribute that I can see.
          I always chastised Childress for not designing plays to suit his mobility. I’m still hoping the Deer-in-the-headlights-look and his lack of accuracy is just a case of nerves that he will eventually overcome but man it’s been almost 5 years now. . .

Yeah, McKinney sure looks clumsy and lazy at times. I forget who we selected instead of Michael Oher but that was a mistake, me thinks.

We passed on Oher to take Percy, Fran. By the time we came up again, he was gone and we took Loadholt. I was incensed, but have to admit that Percy is a player. And I still hold out hope for The Load.

• Fran the Man says:

Percy instead of Oher. . .well that takes a little sting out of it.

• Dynalee10 says:

Now that was funny I don’t care who you are!

It’s so nice to see the d-line getting their swagger back. And Ole I think they want to keep Dugan as their secret weapon.

3. wtfvikesfan says:

Go Tjack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Another Blonde Viking says:

I like the fact that the Purple seem to be havin’ some fun out there! I like the laughing and like Johnny said, the swagger!

I wish the Pukers and Bears would have lost…

Go Vikes!

5. Another Blonde Viking says:

p.s. Did you see those uggg-leeeee uni’s the Pukers were wearing? The helmets were brown to represent the old time leather ones. I’m sure your creative minds can think of other….

I saw those uniforms ABV. Leave it to the cheeseheads to wear something that awful. Packers and creative minds just doesnt sound right.

Makes you wonder, who came up with the idea, and wanted to see their own team wearing garbage like that. I can only imagine the players’ reaction when handed those.

Does it bother anyone else that a major amount of money is wasted on these one-time uniforms? What if that money was given to a charity instead? I just don’t understand the thinking behind things like that. I mean, did anyone get thousands of dollars of enjoyment out of that while little kids are hungry or suffereing from a disease? What a ridiculous waste! (Don’t go there, Freds. This isnt about left or right. Just a call for common sense.)

6. Another Blonde Viking says:

Touche’, Johnny!

Johnny, I couldn’t watch the game real closely, as other events were also taking place in the household – guess you could say I was multi-tasking. I only saw the effort of McKinnie on the Favre hit because of a replay. Seemed like we were making some holes for AP, although I sensed a strong emphasis on going right to keep Degeare’s job as more of a sealing role. I think Load must have had a good match-up. I noticed we missed some blitzes and TJ took some pretty good licks again. Oline has to do some things right in a 38 point performance, I guess. What did you think?

To start with the Bills did give the ball away 5 times and the D created good field position so 38 points should’nt be too shocking. All things considered I thought the o-line held up pretty good but as you said the blitz pickups are still a problem but with two backup guards we cant complain. DeGeare looks promising and Loadholt is looking better but the whole line needs to be more consistant.

John Clayton at ESPN today.

“Expect Brett Favre to play next week against the New York Giant. He suffered a sprained shoulder on the first possession of the Viking’ easy 38-14 win over the Buffalo Bill. Though he may miss some practice time, Favre gives Leslie Frazier the better chance of winning and keeping his job, and Tarvaris Jackson, who did a nice job filling in for Favre, probably is not going to be re-signed after the season.”

T-Jack was RFA last year available for a 3rd rounder. Anyone else surprised by conclusion Viking will set T-Jax free? He’s a very good backup QB w/ starter potential

I’m not surprised at all Lost. He was Childos guy and Frazier has probably seen enough of him the last three years to know he’s not the answer. No coach in his right mind would hitch his wagon to tjack.

Everyone is talking about Vikign D-line but the O-line play surprised me. Bill have a very good D-line as demonstrated against Steeler in Week 12. Anyone recall Kyle Williams # 95 being on the field or Chris Kelsey yesterday? (Stroud left w/ injury).

Here’s what they said last week after ‘Bill nose tackle absolutely abused Steeler LG Chris Kemoeatu all day. Williams now has 60 total tackles and five sacks on the season, very fine numbers for an interior lineman. Anyone who’s watched his excellent play on a poor Buffalo defense this season knows he’s playing at a Pro Bowl level…’

Kemoeatu had three holding penalities against Bill on top of the sacks allowed.

John Sullivan played great game.

Agree that T-Jax wouldn’t be Frazier 1st option but he’s a better QB than Joe Webb – if, in fact, Webb could be considered an option at this point.

Prefer T-Jax over available options such as Jason Campbell, Leinhart, JaMarcus Russell, Whitehurst, Donovan McNabb, Derek Anderson, Rex Grossman, Dan Orlovsky, and twenty others.

Better options might include Hasselbeck, Alex Smith, Pennington, or Rosenfels.

Interesting that you have Rosenfels on the better options list and I agree but I would take Campbell, Whitehurst or McNabb over Tjack. You are right on the rest though.

11. phil says:

if they dont draft a great qb i want to see them give webb a chance. hes a leader and very athletic, kind of like garrard

• Fran the Man says:

Lets not forget Kevin Kolb (Eagles) may be available next year too.
      I would hate to see us draft a QB and then not at least try to pick up a FA or trade for someone like Kolb to take advantage of the team we have in place now.

As we all know, we’re loaded with talent and just a QB and some O-line help and a solid DB and we’re going places!

Freds see no reason not to re-sign TJizzle as long as he gets paid back up money and is a 2nd stringer. My man is not a starter, he is the same dude this year as his last 4 rookie years. He’s a guy that will give you a little something, then poop his pants. He simply is too inconsistent to lead this team through a serious play off run. He’s not going to develop into something he’s not, he’s a backup. Not only that, but guy wears a nice baseball hat, as a backup should.

All this chitter chatter about Jumpin’ Joe Webb, it’s all noise until we see if he can actually read a defense and keep his cool under pressure. Without that you have, well, TJizzle.

Draft a QB in the first round. Let’s not go re tread with Donald McNabb or Jason Cambell or any of the rest of those jackasses. We’ve got one of those, his name is TJizzle.

Freds has to admit he enjoyed the game a lot more with TJizzle in the game than Banjo. At least it was entertaining. The offensive line had to enjoy the fact that the old piece of southern fried statue was out of the game, at least with the backup he could move a little.

Here’s to hoping TJizzle starts the rest of the games!

Krugs after the TJax pick 6 on sunday…..

Freds,

Damn I hate to agree with my old pal but you are right on this one. But I would still start banjo and bring Tjack in off the bench, he seems to play better when coming off the bench.

13. sb says:

It’s about time we drat a qb in the first round, we need to get over using patchwork qb’s. Tarvaris is not the answer, he’s been in the league 5 years and still looks lost at times. Draft one of the top prospects (if our draft position allows get some help n the oline and at safety and go with that. With the team we have in place, a good def and the best rb in the league it would make the transition much easier for a young qb.