Back To Work, Adam

Hey everyone!  I hope you all had a great and safe Thanksgiving.  Mrs. Warwas, Baby Gates, and myself have landed back at our home base and I’m ready to devote as much effort as ever towards keeping this site fresh and updated.  I owe a huge thanks to Matt, Todd, and Chris for keeping things rolling during my two week hiatus.

The trip was a crazy one but a fun one.  Of course, all three of us managed to get sick at various times (damn airplanes), and the travel wears on a person, but overall it was just awesome to see our first born get to meet all of his family… and, of course, it was good for us to see them all as well.

Catching up with family wasn’t the only high points that the trip contained, however.  For example, after spending 45 minutes trying to figure out how to connect to the in-flight wi-fi on one flight, my iTouch had just enough battery life left for me to read that Childress had been fired.  I was the happiest passenger on board.

Along our tour of the Midwest, the Vikings were a hot topic of conversation everywhere we went.  I would say that the amount of hair on my son’s head and the “reality” show Sarah Palin’s Alaska were the top two conversations had, but the Vikings were a close third.

It certainly was fun to get my fix of literal Vikings gab, and also to chat with people who read the site.  One reader in particular, Bill, whom I had never met before, had some incredibly complimentary things to tell me about Vikings Gab which went a long ways towards motivating me to get back in the saddle ASAP.

So, enough about my trip, let’s get this thing turned back towards Vikings football.  A lot happened over the last couple of weeks and here is a quick hitting opinion on each topic from yours truly.

The End Of An Era

Seldom would I cheer for a man, a family man, to be fired from his job.  However, I don’t lose any sleep over Brad Childress’ financial well being as he’ll make more for being fired than I’ll probably make in 25 years of working my ass off.  I firmly believe the move was overdue and will prove to be a good one.  I truly believe that the Vikings got rid of a bad football coach and now it is time to go find a good one.

The End Of A Legend

Brett Favre may keep his streak alive this week, who knows.  Heck, he may play out the rest of the season.  However, his injuries are piling up to an unprecedented level and the Jenn Sterger nonsense isn’t going anywhere.  Favre insists he is done after this season and I believe him… and I’m glad to hear it.  Tarvaris Jackson hasn’t done much to inspire confidence that he is the answer, and it is time for the Vikings to once again go on the prowl for a franchise quarterback, which will make this offseason an interesting one.

Cris Should Already Be In

This year’s semifinalists for the Hall of Fame include three former Vikings:  Cris Carter, Chris Doleman, and Roger Craig.  To me, it is pure insanity that the NFL’s second leading receiver of all time has yet to get in, regardless of how much he annoys me as a television personality.  The Selection Committee will meet on February Fifth to decide on the Class of 2011, and this year I hope they get it right and include Carter.  If they don’t, the system is broken.

Edwards Sees Value Plummet

Ray Edwards was ticked off when the Vikings tendered him prior to this season instead of giving him a long term contract or letting him become a free agent.  The reason for that was that he stood to lose a lot of money if his production fell off from what it was in 2009 or if he got hurt.  Both have happened.  Edwards is hurt, and Brian Robison has been able to step in and arguably play at a higher level than Edwards has all season.  Both Edwards and Robison could become free agents after this season, and it will be interesting to see how much effort the Vikings put towards retaining their two young defensive ends.

Los Angeles Talk Won’t Be Going Anywhere

Talk of groups based out Los Angeles engaging in dialogue with Vikings brass has already heated up.  That will be a trend this offseason, and rumors will be running rampant, and there will be no slowing this storyline until Zygi Wilf and the Minnesota Legislature reach a definitive agreement… or until something much, much worse happens.

Bieniemy Timing Could Be Worse

Vikings running back coach Eric Bieniemy is regarded as one of the best in the NFL and it stung a little to hear that he’ll be leaving the Vikings after the season to become the offensive coordinator at Colorado.  However, with big changes already happening with this organization, and more big changes certain to come about, one can hardly blame Bieniemy for making the decision.

It was Bieniemy who was so high on Stanford running back Toby Gerhart that the Vikings were able to give up a second and third round pick to trade up a few spots and snag him in the 2010 draft.  While Gerhart’s recent run-of-the-mill performances have been enough to draw some praise, I personally am not convinced that he is the capable backup to Adrian Peterson that we all hoped he would be.

Furthermore, it may be time to give Adrian Peterson some coaching from a new and fresh angle.  While Bieniemy was seemingly able to help Peterson stave off his chronic fumbling disorder (a year too late), he still struggles with pass protection and receiving from time to time.  I’m not saying that Bieniemy should be forced out or anything, but the timing for a change could have been worse.  Bieniemy, holding true to his classy ways, will finish out this season with the Vikings before focusing his efforts on Colorado.

Okay, that is it for now.  It is darn good to be back.

29 Responses to “Back To Work, Adam”

1. Zag says:

I totally agree with the whole Ray Edwards thing. He is not worth it. During the offseason, I made a comment on this very blog about how I suspected that Robison could play at a level equal to or above Edwards’. Looks like I was right, because Robison continually makes the most of his -very limited- chances, while Ray Ray hasn’t played up to expectations.

• SupaScout says:

I agree with your agreeing. Ray Ray seems to be more smoke than fire. However Robison used to be the Vikes best kept secret, but the cat is out of the bag. As far as Edwards goes he isn’t a dominate DE only a very good opposite side compliment. Not to mention he is known around the league as a hot head to both to teammates and opposition, that and another injury won’t help his free agency status. Where as if Brian keeps showing his promise his stock will keep rising.

I agree with you guys agreeing with me. 🙂

I have always thought Robison was the superior pass rusher to Edwards. The question is if he can hold up well against the run which he has had his moments with in the past, and so far I’d say he’s playing like a complete end. However, the Skins and Bills are not known for their offensive lineman unlike some of the teams Edwards has had to face.

I say make ’em both a fair take-it-or-leave it offer to stay with the team.

Welcome back Adam. Great first post and I dont disagree with any of it. How about a live-chat Sunday to get back in the groove?

Hello, Adam. Glad you and yours are back safe and sound.

You know the inevitable issue to address, Adam, and perhaps sooner than later… Especially if the Vikes perform well again this Sunday, is it time to give Leslie the job. Denver is calling….

Thanks Bud. I think the Vikes will most likely extend Frazier. I don’t see the brass going after one of the big name guys anyways given the CBA and Stadium uncertainty.

I hope Denver is calling… cause that would be tampering and maybe we could get one of their draft picks as a punishment 🙂

Good point. I meant it more figuratively, I guess. I agree that Leslie should get the call. He seems to have handled this all pretty well, and certainly seems to have the team in his camp.

4. CO Vike Fan says:

Welcome back Adam, great to have you back. Glad you had a good trip

I’ve taken the trip from Denver to Minneapolis for the weekend to cheer on the vikes – its f’ing cold here.

5. Fran the Man says:

Hey Adam, welcome back and glad it was a safe return.

I had no idea how Frazier would work out but the little I’ve seen of him (2 games) I like what I see, a lot.
    He certainly has the players respect and his even temper is sure nice to see.
    Man I hope you’re wrong about Gerhart but it’s hard to disagree that he’s been pretty under-whelming so far. He seems to have picked it up a bit in the last couple of games, so the jury is still out. Lets see how he performs against the Giants rush defense this Sunday.

6. CalVkg says:

good to see ya back, adam. looks like you missed the snow storm in mpls. just in time, while i have to suffer through forecasted 80 degree temps here in so cal this weekend, hehe

leslie’s big tests are still ahead this season, but i like him as hc so far. considering what we had, it’s not hard to do. sunday’s game might last about 2 1/2 hours with all the running that should be done. it’s gonna be hard to win this one

Cal, I can promise that where I live, we got more snow in the last 48 hours than Minny will get all year 😉

I like Leslie fine, and his stock is certainly on the rise, but I have to be honest in the biggest reasons I’d like to see him retained is so there isn’t much of a roster upheavel and so the next coach doesn’t change to a 3-4 defense. Those are probably bad reasons. I hope Leslie gives me more reasons to want him to stick around over the next four weeks.

Guys, did you see that clip on NFL network with Frazier miced up? I was really impressed the way he handled all aspects of the game. He even admitted a mistake, something we all know Childo wouldnt do.

7. fozz44 says:

I meant Chilly didn’t make any mistakes johnny! Mr. Perfect.

Hey Adam,
    Good to see you and the Family back home!!!

Hey Charlie,

Do you think they should hire Frazier for the next HC?

• Purple Charlie says:

Hiya Johnny!
        He sure is a step up from Childress! well anybody almost is lol…

The players sure like him, He reminds me of Tony Dungy and I like that…

They need to weigh the options over this off- season and see who is available and go from there…

Your Thoughts???

Charlie,
          I’m just afraid if they dont ink him soon he’ll get other offers that will drive his pricetag up. His stock is definately on the rise and other teams will offer him opportunities. Hate to see another good coach get away.

9. Brett says:

Glad to have you back Adam!

10. Another Blonde Viking says:

Hi, Everyone! Welcome back, Adam…

Well Mother Nature is going to keep us from the game tomorrow. Can’t say that I’m that upset. Plopped on the sofa with Mr. ABV and the big screen works fine for me! Last I heard the Giants’ plane was diverted to KC….any update on that?

Go Vikes!!

Adam, wish I could disagree w/ you but tend to concur on most if not all.

I’m also made it to home base after marathon 30+ hour trip. Don’t miss the snow or the (dry) cold.

Cheers