FRAZIER: “We’ve got a lot of work ahead of us”

The Vikings entered 2010 with as nearly the unanimous choice for most talented roster, and were widely predicted to be a Super Bowl contender.

Instead, the season was marred by embarrassment after embarrassment and they are now sitting in the basement of the NFC North with the Detroit Lions forced to watch the playoffs from home.

Meanwhile, their two biggest rivals, the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers, are set to duke it out for the right to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl this year.  The Vikings new coach Leslie Frazier takes this as a clear sign of what needs to happen next.

“Oh man, I’ll tell you, that’s something else. It just tells you how strong the NFC North must be, for the two top teams in the NFC North to end up playing in the championship game, that would be something else,” the Vikings coach said Sunday, before Chicago beat Seattle. “That just tells you we’ve got a lot of work ahead of us to get back to being NFC North champs. That would be two years in a row you’d have someone from the NFC North playing in the championship game.”

“I watched some of it,” he said of the Packers whooping of the Falcons, “and what a game by the Green Bay Packers, to come in there on the road and play the way they played, you have to take your hat off to them. Atlanta is a tough place to play, so just a great job by Green Bay. Aaron Rodgers looked real good yesterday, he played lights out. He’s probably the main reason they won that game. He played a great, great game, just really hard for Atlanta to defend them.”

“We’ve got to find a quarterback,” Frazier said. “You look at the playoff teams and none of them really have an issue at quarterback, they have their starting quarterback and most likely for years to come. We’ve got to find us a quarterback that we can build our franchise around, and if we do, it’s going to stabilize a lot of things for our team and our organization.”

One of the first things that needs to happen, even before finding a quarterback, is getting a complete coaching staff assembled.

“We’re getting close to getting some things done,” he said. “I feel real good about the direction where we are and hope to have an announcement here really soon.

“We have a number of guys on our staff that are going to be with us next season that have been with us in the past, but we are going to add a few new faces at certain places. I think it’ll be good for our team.”

One reason a staff should be assembled really soon is that one of the most scouted events is going to take place soon which is Senior Bowl week.  Frazier has already started the process of evaluating some college prospects.

“We’re not certain what’s going to happen with the rest of [the NFL] after March 1st, but it looks like we’ll have a draft,” he said, referring to the possibility of a lockout. “We’ve already started working on the college players and we go down to the Senior Bowl next week, so we’ll get a chance to see the college players in person and see who might help us.”

Lastly, I would just like to point out that I find it interesting that Frazier seemingly has aligned himself with Sid Hartman when it comes to media members.  That is probably a smart idea since Hartman is essentially the Vikings biggest cheerleader and will almost surely always cast Frazier in a positive light.

18 Responses to “FRAZIER: “We’ve got a lot of work ahead of us””

1. krugjr says:

gotta feeling one announcement today and one tomorrow…..

GO VIKES!!!!!

Adam, good point regarding Sid. I realize the younger generation generally finds Sid to be annoying and outdated, but the guy is an absolute icon, and has no small amount of influence in, and knowledge about, the Minnesota sporting scene. The man will likely die in his office, and I agree that Frazier is making a wise alignment here. Sid’s not from the modern “nitpick & blame” school of sports journalism that many (not Adam) subscribe to, and I, for one, kinda like that. I am probably in the minority here, but Sid deserves significant respect in his trade from even the most avid of sports fans, even in 2011.

Oh, c’mon now Bud, I regularly take part in the nitpick & blame part of things (I wouldn’t call what I do “journalism”). I openly admit that.

As we know, however, there are always two sides to every story. Hartman often stands alone in representing the positive (albeit often unpopular) side of the story, which makes him that much more valuable. We need someone to give us the other half when others aren’t willing.

You’re too modest, Adam. You are more of a journalist than some so- called journalists are. And you definitely don’t make a habit of nitpick & blame. I got no problem with calling a spade a spade (is that a politically correct thing to say? If not, I apologize), and I’ve been known to do that myself somewhat regularly. But when someone calls the whole deck spades, then I got issues of credibility with that person. Yeah, Sid reflects things a little too positively at times (Chili HAD to go, Sid!) but as you say, two perspectives of a situation are needed.

Besides, Sid’s an old man. Let him go in peace, Minnesota sports fans! 🙂

• wtfvikesfan says:

Sid is a complete idiot has been for over 20 years!!!!! 99 percent wrong with everything he post!!! Should have retired many years ago!! I think it was like 5 years ago his son Chad Hartman and family were begging him to retire because he was embarrassing the family!!

I like Fraziers style and honesty. I just hope he chooses the right coaches and so far so good.

• Purple Charlie says:

Johnny,
      Your right,
      He is easy to listen to, Not like before trying to understand Childress…

He was annoying most of the time.

• Purple Charlie says:

Johnny,
      Really hope Rhett Bomar works out good for us.Like someone said, Him, a Rookie, Veteran QB.

Would like to see them pick up a lineman in the draft. Mike Pouncey looked good in the bowl game he played in.

I know his twin bother Maurkice is a awesome player for the Steelers…
      Just a thought

Ya Charlie it sounds like Bomar has alot of potential and could be a reason Vikes dont go qb in the 1st round. With him and Webb on the roster gives Vikes a little room on 1st rounder and possibly trade down.

• wtfvikesfan says:

Vikes need to draft Pouncy. Trade back maybe, I don’t care if we draft him at 12. Sully was a major problem at center all season. Rest of line isn’t that bad just need good coach. Rhett Bomar has skills, I’m a U of Oklahoma fan living in North Dakota.

It’s kinda hard to judge Sully this year because of his injury and the line seemed better with him than without him but IMHO he has career backup written all over him.

4. Norseman66 says:

I totally agree PC. Except, we need a lineman that has a mean streak to give our line an attitude. AP would go nuts!!!…2000 yards next season.