Back From Break

I hope everyone had a great weekend.  I know I did.

While taking a break from Vikings Gab always makes me feel a little like the mom dropping of her child for a first slumber party (yup, I’m kind of a control freak like that) the break couldn’t have come at a better time for me.  I was plain and simply getting tired of every story having to include some sort of allusion to the collective bargaining situation, something which I find completely uninteresting and tedious.

While nothing has really changed on the CBA front, and stories will still carry the old “depending on the CBA” qualifiers at the end of each one, just having a break has been enough to get me re-motivated and excited to get back at it.

It was also nice to meet another Gabber face-to-face, something which is becoming more and more frequent as the site grows, and this meeting was a special one to me.

Many of you regular readers know “Fran The Man” from the message boards here at Vikings Gab or perhaps other boards across the net.  I have “known” Fran via Vikings blogs for what must be six or seven years now and he was the first person ever to comment on one of my Vikings Gab stories nearly two years ago.

So, I am pleased to report that Fran is exactly what most of you know him to be from his jottings here at VG, pleasant and kind and one heck of a nice guy.  It was equally delightful to meet Mrs. Fran and also see the Brother of Fran as we all chatted over cheeseburgers.

Okay, before I left for my Birthday Break (thanks to those of you who wished me a happy B-Day in previous posts), I mentioned that I had hoped to having something fun to write about upon my return.

Birthday wish number one:  Granted.

As Matt filled you all in on recently, Chad Greenway became the first Vikings player since 2003 to receive the franchise tag which should keep him on the team for the 2011 season for a guaranteed salary of around $10 million.

Of course, it seems likely that the team will use the tag for its intended purpose and negotiate a long term deal with their 2010 defensive MVP once the (say it with me) CBA stuff gets sorted out.

So, the Vikings have officially played their first card in an offseason that features a stacked deck with the odds stacked against them.

This means that Sidney Rice’s future with the team is more uncertain now.  The receiver cannot receive the transition tag, as PFT explains it, because he does not have six years of NFL experience under his belt.  However, PFT also recently explained that Rice could end up being tendered as a restricted free agent depending on the outcome, or lack thereof, of the bargaining sessions.  Of course, each of these scenarios could also affect Ray Edwards who only has five years of experience.

One thing that appears certain in an NFL world currently covered in uncertainty, is that Greenway will be back, and that seems to be making everybody happy including Greenway himself, who took the news in the humble and classy manner that Vikings fans have learned to expect from him.

“I would say my initial reaction is I’m excited to be a Viking for at least another year,” said Greenway. “Obviously, I’m hoping to get a long-term deal done when a CBA is reached because I want to be a Viking my whole career. I’m excited to play for Coach Frazier and [linebackers coach] Mike Singletary, Coach Pagac again. I have great teammates and am excited to be here.”

“Chad’s an important part of our team and his play speaks for itself. He’s productive and has continued to improve each year he has been in the NFL,” Frazier told the team’s website. “He’s a leader for us in the locker room and on the field.”

Of course, a team could make an offer to Greenway, but the Vikings would have the chance to match that offer or take two first round picks as compensation.  Greenway is good, but no team is going to part with two first rounders to get him.

While the team cannot use the transition tag on Rice, there are a few other players who do have six seasons of experience that could be candidates to be tagged before Thursday’s deadline.  These players include Pat Williams, Ryan Longwell, and Ben Leber among other pending free agents.

How this offseason shakes out remains to be seen, but this hack blogger thinks they nailed it with their first big decision, but now it is on to the next 50.

Glad to be back.

15 Responses to “Back From Break”

1. wtfvikesfan says:

reenway over Rice for Vikes’ franchise tag
    February, 21, 2011
    FEB 21
    1:19
    PM ET
    EmailPrintComments
    114
    By Kevin Seifert
    Monday brought us our first, and perhaps only, 2011 franchise tag in the NFC North. The Minnesota Vikings have franchised linebacker Chad Greenway with the non-exclusive tag, meaning the Vikings would receive two first-round draft picks from any team that signs him.

This is not the smae thing as a transition tag. The Vikes pay more $$$ to Greenway under this tag and would recieve two first rounders if anyone stole him away.

A transition tag would result in no compensation.

2. Malte says:

Nice to have you back 🙂
    Hope you will continue your great work, as I love to follow your updates daily. I spend at least 1 hour on NFL per day, and this is one of the more frequent visited pages 🙂
    Can’t you make some “discussing” thread about how the possibility for vikings dropping out of the 12th spot and what it would mean for the entire draft, and viking’s future 🙂
    Thanks mate and welcome “home” 🙂

Thanks Malte!

I have heard more and more requests for a “forums” type of option here. I’ll talk to the powers that be… but in the mean time, discuss away on the topic.

3. Dr. K says:

Welcome back! I can’t remember which tag it was, (franchise or transition) but I believe we tagged Jim Kleinsasser one year because Parcells was rumoured to be after him for Dallas. I thought it was the franchise tag but I could be wrong.

4. first time responder, but have followed this site for a while now.
    i read it every day i can.
    love the fact that the vikes tagged greenwell. he is a viking through and through. purple in his blood.
    thanks for putting up such a great site!
    GO VIKES!!

Welcome back bro! I’m glad they made the move on Greenway and it’s nice to see he appreciates it. No doubt they lock him up long term after the, sorry Adam, CBA gets worked out.

It was also nice meet another Gabber face-to-face, something which is becoming more and more frequent as the site grows, and this meeting was a special one to me.

Many of you regular readers know “Fran The Man” from the message boards here at Vikings Gab or perhaps other boards across the net. I have “known” Fran via Vikings blogs for what must be six or seven years now and he was the first person ever to comment on one of my Vikings Gab stories nearly two years ago.
    ——————————————-

Yikes!! You’re damn lucky your lunch date with Robert “Fran the Man” Hansen went well. Dude scares your old pal Fragile!

——————————————–

Kidding of course Frans!

Is it weird that Robert Hansen’s name actually did come up during our lunch?

• Fragile Freds says:

Just count your blessings my friend. It could have been worse, you could have been in Iowa dining with BJohnny! You wouldn’t have made it out alive from that little “date”.

• Fran the Man says:

Wow, how bizzare is that? Only our pal Freds could have made that happen!
        It was GREAT to meet you and your lovly wife and baby boy (Does that kid EVER quit smiling?) Adam.

Freds, believe it or not, my brother owns the rights to a screenplay on Hansen (Known as the Butcher Baker) and we were talking about how strange it is that no one has made the movie yet. An incredibly horrific story.

As far as Greenway goes, that sure seems like a lot of dough for him.
        I realize the guy is a good player and young and getting better but Man! 10 Million/year?
        I was thinking Greenway would have signed for less down the road and wish we would have tagged Rice instead. Hate to lose that guy.

• Fran the Man says:

That’s actually a pretty close rendition of the burgers at “The Roadunner.”
      The joint wins “Best hamburger in town” award every year.