If Vikings Don’t Pay Up, Ray Edwards ‘Focusing on Boxing’

If the Vikings try to hold onto Ray Edwards with a restricted tender, Friday night could be the start of a new career according Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.

At least, that’s what the defensive end-turned-heavyweight continued to say on the eve of his professional boxing debut against former kickboxer T.J. Gibson on Friday at Grand Casino Hinckley.

“It all depends on what route is taking place,” Edwards told 1500 ESPN Twin Cities in an interview scheduled to air at 1:35 p.m. Friday on the “Reusse & Mackey” show.

“I’ve openly said I won’t play for the Vikings, because of the simple fact of my backup is getting paid 70 more percent than I am — there’s no way I can do that to myself. I’d rather do what I love doing. I love doing football as well. But if there’s nobody that’s going to trade for me, I will be definitely focusing on boxing.”

10 Responses to “If Vikings Don’t Pay Up, Ray Edwards ‘Focusing on Boxing’”

1. 4eversteve says:

Well maybe Ray if you had been more productive during your 5 year contract you would have seen the Vikings offer more they must like what they see in Brian Robison. Effort on every play might have gotten Edwards the deal that he seeks. I would think twice about sitting out the season and boxing instead. If Edwards decides to get in the ring with an actual pro boxer that is worth his salt he will clean Ray Edwards clock and show him that football is what he should stick to, but for the love got man give some effort. Edwards really over the last 5 years has had one really good game against the Cowboys in the playoffs other than that he has been

2. 4eversteve says:

Well maybe Ray if you had been more productive during your 5 year contract you would have seen the Vikings offer more, they must like what they see in Brian Robison. Effort on every play might have gotten Edwards the deal that he seeks. I would think twice about sitting out the season and boxing instead. If Edwards decides to get in the ring with an actual pro boxer that is worth his salt he will clean Ray Edwards clock and show him that football is what he should stick to, but for the love got man give some effort. Edwards really over the last 5 years has had one really good game against the Cowboys in the playoffs other than that he has been average at best.

3. Brett says:

Good riddance

Gee Ray…I don’t know what to say…

Oh wait, I think I know now.

Goodbye.

One piece of advice though. If you hit the guy after the bell, its gonna be way worse than 15 yards.

5. hookem says:

Did you hear the news that they are trying to get him to fight Kimbo Slice??

Can’t say it will break my heart
    Good bye…

7. CalVkg says:

hey, he won! beat that lil’ guy right up! maybe we gotta keep him?????

In first fight, Ray Edwards win unanimous decision

(remember) kennyrogers May 20, 1110:46 pm

Woo-hoo! Way to go Sugar Ray Edwards! The Thrilla in Minneso-TA ! What’s purple and yellow and wears boxing gloves? Fruit punch!

8. wtfvikesfan says:

Ponder looks like he wants to be a leader!!!!……

Vikings players will have lockout camp in Tampa

Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2011, 7:48 PM EDT

Getty Images
    As the lockout lingers, more and more players from more and more teams are looking for ways to get back to football. For the Vikings, some players will be getting together soon to work out, but the workouts won’t be happening anywhere close to Minnesota.

Tom Pelissero of 1500espn.com reports that players will get together beginning on May 30 in Tampa.

Leading the charge are first-round quarterback Christian Ponder and an unlikely candidate — sixth-round rookie safety Mistral Raymond, who played at USF.

“I talked to my coaching staff and everything,” Raymond said. “They said it’s perfectly fine with them. So, if Christian [Ponder] gets this stuff together, we’ll have the opportunity to get some of the Vikings’ skill players down here right on campus at USF.”

Though the value of the workouts remains unclear, if nothing else the practice enhances relationships and builds camaraderie. And for teams with new coaches and coordinators and quarterbacks, the more that the players can accomplish on their own, the better.

Congratulations to Ray Edwards. Edwards is taking on a boxing career. Hey, glad it wasn’t Pro Wrestling. He’s getting conditioning and boxing isn’t going to hurt his line play.

This guy has been just a wonderful find for Viking since he was drafted.

1) Slipped as he came with ‘troublemaker’ label. Result= no problems
    2) Defensive teammates love the guy-nine guys out to see the fight
    3) Stout player on the line who never was pushed around
    4) Came through in big games
    5) Always played 4th quarter
    6) Played for cheap at 4th round 5 year contract.

Edwards is saying he’s not about to come back to Viking for less than Robison. Fine. Then Edwards says Brian Robison is a great guy and he’s happy for him. Classy.

Ray Edwards had his own choice of re-signing a new Viking contract or going free agency. He chose to be FA. He’ll probably make a lot more money for a team with greater DE needs. Again, great.

Plus, Viking get compensatory pick when he leaves. Or we’ll trade him to Redskin for the receiver (M. Jenkins?). We’ll move on to Everson Griffen, Christian Ballard, Fred Evans and Letroy Guion.

No booing and catcalls from here, Ray

10. Ragnar says:

You can’t blame him for being bent about the Robison contract. He’s really competitive with Robison and Allen, and he should be; the nfl is set up that way. You just wonder if he talked his way out, like Moss. If he’d just been nice. I wonder how his contract offer compares to Robison.