In 2008, the Vikings signed FS Madieu Williams to a long term contract. The Vikings had high expectations for Williams, and three years later, Williams has yet to meet said expectations. He has struggled with injury, doesn’t take great angles while trying to tackle an opposing player, and quite honestly hasn’t played a very important role in our defensive scheme. The question is, what can the Vikings do about this situation?

If we were to cut Madieu Williams before the start of the season, it would free up a few million dollars in the Vikings’ salary cap. I don’t know if I see that happening, simply because the Vikings and Leslie Frazier have said they want to have Madieu Williams play a bigger role in our defense.

So what if Williams continues to struggle and Leslie Frazier decides to go in a different direction? Who takes his place?

Enter Jamarca Sanford.

Sanford, a 7th round pick in 2008, has done well for the Vikings in several situations. He is a good special teamer, a hard hitter, and really seems to have a better understanding of the game of football than he did coming into the NFL. In other words, Sanford is improving.

I think if Sanford does well in Training Camp and the preseason, we may see him in a starting role later on in the 2011 season. If not, sooner. I’m not neccesarily saying he’s a long-term solution, but it is possible. Who would have thought two years ago that Husain Abdullah would arguably be the best safety on the Vikings roster right now? A little hard work and dedication can go a long way.

15 Responses to “Branden Lemke’s 10 Bold Predictions: #6; Jamarca Sanford Will Replace Madieu Williams”

1. Malte says:

I really like reading your predections 🙂
    I hope that we finaly will get some good play from over safties next year. Actually I just hope the don’t play awfull, if the play avarage I would be more than pleased 😀

• thank you! and I think we will be alright. We’re in the re-building process, every team goes through this once in a while.

• Fragile Freds says:

Branden,

Interesting comment regarding the Vikes in rebuilding mode. Why do you say this? Primarily because of the Coaching change and new QB? This may be reason enough. But Freds would like to hear more about your thoughts on rebuilding versus last year being a fluke crappy year and expecting to having a winning/playoff season this year.

• Malte says:

I also was a little in doubt about the rebuilding.. I see us being able to win games when we play good defense and make sure that we don’t turn the ball over. I mean we good Corners in Cedric Griffen and Winfield. (if they can stay healthy) – And I think Chris Cock is better than we think, he just need to stay healthy as well. Our LB core seems very great especially with Mike Singletary as Linebacker coach. I’m a bit concerned about our front four, but if we get our hands on Ian Williams, undrafted NT, who reminds me a lot of Pat Williams I am still positive that we have a chance.
          Offensively I just think we need to take care of the ball and run in. Then use playaction Heavily and use a lot of 2 tight end sets. I think he have a chance to be competetive

• Branden Lemke says:

I think we are in the re-building process simply because of the number of free agents we have this year. If Rice leaves, I think that alone sets us back a year or two. other guys include Ben Leber, ray Edwards, Husain Abdullah, Pat Williams, and so on. Hopefully some of these guys re-sign, especially Rice, but I’m not saying we’re completely doomed or anything. Just saying we’re not the team we were in 2009 right now, and that much is clear. I think we’ll be a contender sooner rather than later though.

2. Jay says:

Well, this one is definitely bold.

3. LeCount80 says:

Branden, I love reading the predictions…..

This one is a bit of a stretch, not that I wouldnt mind it coming true, I like Sanford.Keep up the good work.

Freds, I myself still hold out hope that last year was a horrible fluke season. Its just too hard for me to grasp that this team was a breath away from the super bowl 2 seasons ago, and now is amongst the bottom feeders of the NFC. This team lost its direction, and lost its heart.
    Its a fact that its major loss is QB, that position is in rebuilding mode, but you need lots of talent to get to the place where this team was, and for the most part, that talent is still intact. It just needs to be led.

I cut myself at work the other day, and yes, I still bleed purple….

Branden,
    I like the prediction about Sanford. I like the the kid also.
    As for the team… rebuilding or fluke , I’m at the crossroads…

I guess we will see (Someday )

I have a bold prediction, it will be hot today. Okay, its not really bold. I like Sanford too Charlie, but we need some new safties. They are the biggest weakness on D.

I have hope for this year, I will be disapointed with anything less than a playoff spot. But also know the QB play is key. Im realistic enough to know it wont be easy, Vikes will have to catch some breaks. Im homer enough to believe this team is still talented enough to win 10 games. LeCount does bleed purple, Ive seen it. On the other hand, it wasnt a cut. More like a scratch. Please just tape it up and quit cryin about it.

Looks like we got football back-

I know its just a report, but they sound confident a deal is done. Now if we could just get that pesky stadium thing done, I will be a happy dude.