Favorite Moss Moment

Upon hearing about the retirement of Randy Moss I immediately wanted to sit down and write an ode of sorts to the player that changed the face of the modern NFL.

I wasn’t able to do it, partly because I am mostly convinced that the Moss era isn’t finished quite yet.

Moss was about as exciting to watch as any receiver in the existence of the game, with the ability to change football history on any given Sunday.  He played like he was his team’s rowdiest fan, wearing his emotions on his sleeve, and riding the NFL franchise rollercoaster as if he were a season ticket holder.

When he thought the offensive strategy needed to change, he yelled it.  When the refs blatantly messed up, he squirted water at them.  When some lowly Packer fans mooned the team bus, retaliation was in order.  When he thought the head coach should be fired, he let his opinion be known.  When he was disgusted with his team’s performance, he tried to beat the traffic by leaving early.

Don’t get me wrong, fans pay for the privilege of doing those things, while players are paid to do the exact opposite of quit.  Also, plenty of Moss’ antics were maddening including his inhuman comments about the Marshall plane crash, his drug use, and taking a traffic officer for an involuntary ride on the hood of his car.

Still, Randy Moss was a guy that had fun catching passes for touchdowns and winning football games.  Like Cris Carter, Moss could be delayed entering the Hall of Fame because of his mouth and off field actions, but my favorite football play ever is just one of the many reasons he will eventually be enshrined.

Here it is:

17 Responses to “Favorite Moss Moment”

1. Brett says:

I will never forget watching #84. Watching the QB just throw the ball as hard/high as his arms would allow and knowing Moss would make some insane grab to bring it in was an amazing, magical thing.

My favorite Moss moment would honestly have to be him mooning the Cheesheads at Lambeau. I know it pissed a lot of people… but I was young when it happened and it was the ultimate slap in the face to Packer fans.

As far as a play goes… the one play I will always remember is the catch in midfield and then the lateral to Carter as Moss was getting taken down for the touchdown. It happened so quick and I was just an awe. Probably watched that play 100 times.

• Brett says:

And when I say Cris Carter… I obviously mean Moe Williams.

Sorry, Brett, but I gotta go 180 degrees from you and state that the Moss Moon was my LEAST favorite moment from his career. While I know there was more to the story, you just DO NOT embarass your teammates, your uniform and your organization in that manner. He basically lowered himself to the level of classless Packer fans who had done the same. The word “professional” must be considered when you make the kind of money and play at the level these guys are at. Perhaps you were entertained by it, but I can assure you that many, many people were rightfully embarrassed by it. The fact that Randy deemed it appropriate is a big issue with me.

• Brett says:

I understand/respect your opinion… but I really don’t think it was that big of a deal. I honestly don’t feel it disgraced the organization that much… I think some of our players have done things much worse than that. To me, I think we forget that it’s a game… and you should be allowed to have a little fun with it. In my view of the whole thing, it was playful and kind of just a punch back to the Packer fans who had done the same thing to players over the years.

Understand too, though… Like I said, I was a kid when it happened. Had I been older at the time, I may have had a different interpretation of it.

• Wayup North says:

What I remember most from that moment was Joe Buck’s over the top reaction – his comments were the catalyst to getting Randy traded as far as I’m concerned . . . can’t stand Joe Buck . . .

• Wayup North says:

And I’d have to go with Randy often giving the ball to some kid (usually disabled) after a TD – guy had more class than most gave him credit for.

2. Stonginator says:

When the waste of skin retired yesterday . . .

3. Norseman66 says:

Moss should be voted in with ease to the Douchebag Hall of Fame.

4. fozz44 says:

Lots of them. Thanksgiving vs. the Cowgirls was pretty special.

It’s hard to narrow it down. Either of the catches he made with the Raiders during his his two year career was special, or the one he made last year with the Titan was outstanding.

Then the time he berated the Vikes promotion guy for sitting in his seat on the bus after the game was great…. and last year when he berated the food service guy was also such a fine Moss moment.

Ahhhh, the good old days! You’re old Pal Fragile will miss you Rand Dude.

6. Fran the Man says:

I remember watching the game when Moss Mooned the Pucker fans. I thought it was great! Probably 90% of the audience (Including the idiot known as Joe Buck) that day had no idea of the history of the Pucker fans mooning the opposing teams bus at EVERY home game, but I did and got a kick out of Moss that day.

He’s done quite a few things over the years that I detested but “Mooning” the Packer crowd wasn’t one of them.

And I certainly agree with Adam; That was one of my favorite Moss moments when he lateralled the ball (For a TD!) as he was being tackled.

7. Tomb... says:

What about everybody’s favorite Troy Williamson moment?

Watching the ball sail thru his hands and bounce off his helmet was mine.

8. CalVkg says:

wanna read a good story about some good guys, and they are nfl players?

9. PJD says:

Does anyone actually think that was a designed play, or did Moss just freelance that and Moe Williams acted with such reaction that he automatically caught it? I like to think it was a happy accident.