Mount McKinnie’s Stay In Minny Is Over

Multiple sources including PFT are reporting that starting left tackle Bryant McKinnie has been cut by the Minnesota Vikings.

Wow.

Yesterday, we knew something was up when McKinnie was placed on the non-football injury list.  McKinnie was set to make a base salary of $4.9 million this year, including a $1 million roster bonus.

Leslie Frazier indicated, according to Access Vikings, that newly signed Charlie Johnson would get the first look as the Vikings new starting left tackle.

McKinnie tweeted “It’s been fun” on his verified account this afternoon.

More to come…

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

63 Responses to “Mount McKinnie’s Stay In Minny Is Over”

1. Tomb... says:

So the non-football injury was that his feelings were hurt?

Later BMac, I won’t miss you, you big piece of…

2. Randy Perrin says:

Yes he’s poison, fat, lazy and out of shape BUT he’s still an above average LT and Charlie Johnson is not a good LT. Our line was in trouble before and now it’s even worse. Scary thought.

I somewhat agree. However, if Johnson fits better into Davidson’s new scheme, then so be it. This is a risky move, no doubt.

Wonder what else they have up their sleeves…

• Lost Viking says:

Its a shame to cut a pro-Bowl talent but not as shameful as showing up out-of-shape.

The Colt line featured strong pass-blocking. Run blocking was mediocre although not sure how Charlie Johnson fares specifically. Guess we’ll find out.

Last year Viking carried Phat Pat during early part of season after he showed up with extra baggage. This may be a popular move today but expect McKinnie to work himself into somebody’s lineup following season start.

My question is whether Viking could have insisted McKinnie have his weight checked earlier (during the lockout). Did the Viking have any forwarning of his conditioning?

• Man of the Norse says:

Not at all. Absolutely no player-team contact. Why do you thing Ponder, Webb, etc, were scrambling for playbooks on the one-day lift? Mckinnie was getting fat and all the Vikes could do was watch him order another bucket of KFC.

I do wish they would have tried to trade him for SOMETHING… but maybe they did and had no takers.

3. Vikadan11 says:

The saved 750,000 in bonus he was due this month ~ Not sure if that will be added onto the near 5 million cap space he would have took up ~ Now he can sign with the Fin’s and stay in trouble close to home ~

I wonder if Scott Kooistra is the replacement for loadholt if he does show well in TC ~

4. Zag says:

I’m doing my best to refrain from spitting vinegar on McKinnie’s wounds right now.

He wasn’t a hard worker in or out of football. From all indications, he was a bad influence. The quality of his play was a roller coaster.

I know our line is in a major state of flux right now, but I’m glad to see him gone. I’d rather see it in flux now than in flux in a few years when we’re back to being a contender.

The only negative: It sure would have been nice to have this extra cap space last week when free agency was hot hot hot.

Maybe we bring in Steeler’s tackle Max Starks? He’s 29, a free agent, and has a couple rings. He isn’t a surefire LT though.

Maybe we’ll just say screw it and get Braylon…

• Zag says:

I rescind my comment about cap space. Apparently we were over the cap, therefore this move doesn’t get us any spendable money.

Still good to get rid of him though. He WAS talented, but like I tell my athletes:

“Hard work always beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.”

• wtfvikesfan says:

Why does everybody want the criminal Edwards????? He just had another brush with the law the other night!!!!!!!!!!! He will probably suspended the first 4 games. You guys are crazy for wanting him!!!!

5. Vikadan11 says:

There are still some good FA out there here is a list of a few ~ Maybe the Vikings will move Loadholt over to LT where he played in college ~ They also drafted Love who played LT in college ~ They could also resign R. Cook who can play all 5 spots ~ Maybe there is someone they have a eye on who they might trade for ~

In the end this could have been a wake up call to the other 45 players who make the final roster ~ No more setting on your a$$ while doing just enough to get by and earn a pay check ~

Just some thoughts ~ I love the move ~ Maybe I’m crazy ~ IMHO this was a long time coming ~

1. Zach Miller, Raiders, TE (should be first signed)
    2. Ahmad Bradshaw, Giants, RB (Re-signed with New York)
    3. Braylon Edwards, Jets, WR
    4. Kevin Boss, Giants, TE
    5. Roman Harper, Saints, S (Re-signed with New Orleans)
    6. Aubrayo Franklin, 49ers, NT
    26. Ty Warren, Patriots, DE
    27. Lofa Tatupu, Seahawks, MLB Visiting Raiders
    28. Malcom Floyd, Chargers, WR
    29. Olin Kreutz, Bears, C
    30. Donte Whitner, Bills, S
    31. Terrell Owens, Bengals, WR
    32. Charlie Johnson, Colts, OT (Signed with Minnesota)
    33. Ben Leber, Vikings, LB
    34. Pat Williams, Vikings, NT
    35. Steve Smith, Giants, WR
    36. Stylez G. White, Bucs, DE
    37. Bo Scaife, Titans, TE
    38. Rocky McIntosh, Redskins, LB
    39. Dhani Jones, Bengals, MLB
    40. Gerald Sensabaugh, Cowboys, S

6. Randy Perrin says:

Well some positive news I’m told Loadholt looks in incredible shape

7. Tomb... says:

Skills, heart, motivation, and apparently physical shape all in serious decline.

Seems to me it would have been risker to keep him than not.

Sean Locklear # – OT
    Age: 30
    DOB: 1981/05/29
    POB: Lumberton, SC
    Height: 6-4 Weight: 310lbs
    NFL Seasons: 7
    Drafted by Seattle in 2004 (3/84).
    Current Status: Unrestricted free agent

9. Yella28 says:

Yeessss, Finally my life is complete..Madieu & McKinnie outta here Lol

10. Adam Warwas says:

Remember when Zulgad thought McKinnie should have made the “Top 50 Vikings Ever” list, tehee.

11. Vikadan11 says:

Vikings released LT Bryant McKinnie.
    A classic example of wasted talent, McKinnie made just one Pro Bowl in nine seasons with the Vikings when he had the natural ability of a Jonathan Ogden or Willie Roaf. His undoing in training camp was showing up so fat and out of shape that beat writers noticed he looked much heavier than the already overweight 360 pounds McKinnie had ballooned to by last season’s end. When it’s noticeable that 6-foot-8, 350-plus pound people have packed on a significant amount of weight, you’ve got a real problem on your hands. McKinnie was also a notorious party animal off the field. The Vikings will concede the downgrade to Charlie Johnson in exchange for permanently shedding a team cancer.

They’re also off the hook for McKinnie’s $4.9 million salary plus $750K in bonuses.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
    Aug 2, 3:43 PM

His undoing may be more directly attributed to him putting Brett Favre’s life in danger so often last year.

• joe says:

I agree, everything started with that holdout. He claimed he only somethig like one or two sacks in his college days. He was blessed with talent not so sure about his work ethic. Maybe things came easier to him in college. He can still play/start in this sport it’s just up him. I wish players would take a page from the linemen in Bud Grants era,though they were often out sized and out weighed they gave their all for Fran and Foreman and everybody before them. They did it with no headline gripes and outdoors in freezeing rain and snow.

12. CalVkg says:

i didn’t expect him to be cut, maybe disciplined

wish we could’ve gotten something for him in a trade, some team will prolly give him another chance

it cost us, but it sure does send a message

Raiders, Fins, maybe even Bengals… or maybe he gets himself into shape and the Vikings sign him back on a low-ball show-me offer… okay, prolly not.

Somewhat surprised the Vikings haven’t shown interest in Ryan Harris. Not a bad RT/backup.

13. Yella28 says:

He coulda been great but he’s more focused on trying to be the next Diddy..U know who i think is gona be great Emmanuel Arceneaux, TAKE IT TO THE BANK..

That’d be an excellent development.

Speaking of training camp underdogs… anybody know what Logan Payne is up to these days… I liked that guy.

• Malte says:

A guy I really think is going to be better than people expected is Jaymar Johnson. Reports are that he is holding on great to the ball, plus he has some speed, he made a great highlight diving catch, on a little overthrown ball from Ponder today. He is one of, if not the, most hardworking viking on the team.

• Lost Viking says:

Priefer said the punt return job is wide open at this point. Jaymar Johnson should have a good shot to win that spot. Johnson, by the way, has looked very good in the early days of camp and it’s obvious his hard work in the offseason is paying off.

14. Adam Warwas says:

Drew Rosenhaus has had a busy offseason with the Vikes.

– Sweepstakes with Rice between Minny and Seattle.
    – Fred Evans re-signs.
    – Berrian Restructures.
    – McKinnie released.

15. Wayup North says:

Just a casualty of the 4 TE set . . . Dugan should be getting that big contract any day now . . .

16. Vikadan11 says:

Updated: August 2nd, 2011 2:41pm

‘It’s been fun’: Bryant McKinnie released, claims it was his decision

by Tom Pelissero
    1500ESPN.com

17. CSlinde says:

who’s gonna beat Twin Citians with blunt objects now?

18. Norseman66 says:

There’s no doubt that Frazier runs a tight ship and holds the players accountable for their actions or in McKinnie’s case (lack thereof). This is exactly what this teams needs as it rebuilds. This is very refreshing!!!! Too bad Chilly didn’t have the gonads to do it. I guess he was too busy being Favre’s chauffeur.

• starrc10 says:

I remember Childress coming in with a huge amount of discipline, making Pat Williams lose weight at the start of camp his first year. I am afraid to make the point that most coaches seem to start out this way… I hope he can maintain.

19. CalVkg says:

AD and don gotta be wondering how this will effect them. lt is so critically important, could be better or worse, now a big question mark

20. Dr. K says:

Wished we would have traded him, but do love that our new HC is setting the tone. There’s no excuse for being a fat lazy slob. For McKinney’s sake I hope this does wake him up. Frazier just did him a big favor and tried to teach him a life lesson. If he does get his act together he’ll look back on this as the turning point and thank Leslie Frazier.

• CalVkg says:

if he was in that bad of shape, he forced fraz’s hand. a new HC tolerating that kind of behavior isn’t good, so fraz had to do it, i guess. seifert: Perhaps we’ll find out more when coach Leslie Frazier addresses reporters Wednesday morning. But until then, I’ll consider it a warning shot from a new coach who wanted to shake up a culture of continuity.

21. hookem says:

any chance we sign Max Starks??

22. AnotherBlondeViking says:

Ladies and Gents-

I feel a Happy Dance coming on!! Wa-hoooooo!

Good move, Coach!

Go Vikes!

Brian,

You’re old pal Fragile will miss you. People just don’t get it, everyone is so critical of everyone elses weakness. Don’t they know that peoples are born calorically challenged? It’s not your fault pal, it’s “the man’s” fault. Why do they do you like that Brian? Sure, you could have probably walked around the block a couple times in the off season, maybe cut back on the Colt 45 and the White Castle sliders, but who isn’t without fault? Maybe Coach Buds, but that’s about it.

Ever since that misunderstanding on the minnetonka boat ride the people of Minnesota have had it out for you. Heck man, you block at least 2 out of every 4 guys that rush the passer, if you were a baseball player you’d be batting .500. That my mans could buy you some serious blings.

Just hang in there Brian, eat up, good luck, take a nap, play tennis, and peace out.

Recently from Brad Childress’ Verified Twatter Account regarding Brian McKinnie:

@Bald_as_a_Billard….”uhhhhhhh, Stressed spelled backwards is desserts, uhhhhhhh”.

Thank you Brad.

25. CalVkg says:

ya think they might enTice bmac over to da bears?

Way to go Denzel!! Here’s what I hear this move saying, “I’m not sure who we got for Left Tackle right now, but I know that seeing what I saw last year, and seeing what I saw walk into camp, I know I don’t want to see any more of it!” If Bmac thinks that all he had to do was be better than the guys on the roster, he thought wrong. Give me a guy with minimal talent and a strong work ethic over a guy with great talent and a minimal work ethic every single time.

Glad you had fun, BMac. I would like to verify on my tweeting account that it hasn’t been much fun at all, and I bet Brett Favre and a few other Viking ball throwers would agree. My only regret is the talent that you let go to waste with one of the worst work ethics I have ever witnessed.

Here’s a biff from Judd…

“One would think Donovan McNabb is watching this situation closely. McNabb is going to turn 35 in November, doesn’t move like he used to and now the guy he thought would be his blindside protector is gone. He might not be thrilled.”

Believe me Judd, McNabb saw what BMac allowed to happen to Favre last year. He knew he didn’t have a blindside protector. I know you thought we really had something in McKinnie, Judd, but we actually had precious little at that position. Anyone who tries to defend McKinnie’s performances over the last two years is just plain misfiring. Chili finally benched him in one game, and should have in several others. Talent means nothing when packaged with that sort of work ethic.

Have to say it was coming to him, If the man shows up out of shape, no heart,
    How do you think he will play better…