Branden Lemke’s Bold Predictions: #2; My List Of Who Makes The 53 Man Roster

I just want to start off by saying I apologize for not writing on the site as frequently as I would have liked to over the past few weeks. I am working about 65 hours a week at my full time job, also had a personal issue that set me back for a while, so I apologize. My schedule should free up a lot more time for this site as time progresses, so this is only a temporary thing.

Anyways, as my title on this post describes, today’s bold prediction is who I think will end up making the 53 man roster. So here we go:

QB: 3

Donovan McNabb, Christian Ponder, Joe Webb.

Noteable Cut: Rhett Bomar. Just don’t think there is any room for him on the roster with these other 3 quarterbacks extremely likely to make the team.

RB: 3

Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhart, Lorenzo Booker.

FB: 1

Matt Asiata

Noteable Cut: Ryan D’Imperio. I think D’Imperio will end up making the practice squad, but Asiada has really turned some heads at training camp, and has a good chance to make the team if he continues to have a good preseason.

WR: 5

Bernard Berrian, Percy Harvin, Michael Jenkins, Devin Aromoshadu, Jaymar Johnson.

Noteable Cuts: Greg Camarillo, Stephen Burton. With the two aquisitions of Jenkins and Aromoshadu over the offseason, it will be more difficult for either of these two players to make the team.

TE: 3

Visanthe Shiancoe, Kyle Rudolph, Jim Kliensasser.

Noteable Cut: Jeff Dugan. Dugan has made the team in recent years as a 3rd string tight end, but with the addition of Kyle Rudolph, Dugan will have a very difficult time making this squad.

OT: 3

Phil Loadholt, Charlie Johnson, Ryan Cook.

OG: 4

Steve Hutchinson, Anthony Herrera, Chris DeGeare, D’Marcus Love.

C: 2

John Sullivan, Jon Cooper.

Noteable Cut: Brandon Fusco. I think he belongs on the practice squad at this point, considering he lacks experience.

DE: 5

Jared Allen, Brian Robison, Everson Griffen, Adrian Awasom, D’Aundre Reed.

DT: 4

Kevin Williams, Remi Ayodle, Christian Ballard, Letroy Guion.

Noteable Cut: Fred Evans. I just don’t see the Vikings keeping 5 defensive tackles this year, and Evans appears to be the odd man out.

OLB: 5

Chad Greenway, Erin Henderson, Kenny Onatolu, Heath Farwell, Ross Homan.

MLB: 2

EJ Henderson, Jasper Brinkley.

CB: 5

Antoine Winfield, Cedric Griffin, Chris Cook, Asher Allen, Brandon Burton.

Noteable Cuts: Marcus Sherrels. We keep hearing nothing but good things about this kid, but I think he will end up on the practice squad, at least for now. If Cedric Griffin, or anyone else for that matter, struggles with injury in 2011, we may hear Sherrels’ name called.

FS: 3

Jamarca Sanford, Tyrell Johnson, Eric Frampton.

SS: 2

Husain Abdullah, Mistral Raymond.

Noteable Cut: Ryan Hill. I think the Vikings could keep him on the practice squad, however.

K: 1

Ryan Longwell

P: 1

Chris Kluwe

LS: 1

Cullen Loeffler

What are your thoughts? Agree? Disagree? Let me know!

38 Responses to “Branden Lemke’s Bold Predictions: #2; My List Of Who Makes The 53 Man Roster”

1. Bruce says:

I disagree with a few here. I think they keep Camarillo over Aromashodu at receiver. Unless Aromashodu really turns things around, he’s shown suspect hands. I think JJ is the speedy 4th receiver and Camarillo is the best pure possession receiver on the roster. I think Fusco makes it over Cooper, I’d be shocked if they keep 5 DEs, and I think Marcus Sherrels definitely makes the roster. I wouldn’t completely rule out the possibility of them bringing Pat Williams back if/when they can get Greenway and Peterson’s cap number for this year reduced enough to pay him.

That was good Branden, up until I saw Dugan on your cut list.

It was then that I stopped reading. I shall say a prayer for you tonight…

3. Wayup North says:

Pretty much agree with Bruce – I think the old Camarillo Brillo beats out Aromashodu and I don’t see Fusco clearing waivers to make it to the practice squad (as in, Cooper is odd man out or they go with 3). I also think Evans makes it and they will go with 5 DTs especially with KW having the suspension cloud over his head, I like Homan but I think they try and sneak him on to the practice squad and I have a bad feeling about Kleinsasser this time around – Reisner is looking pretty good . . . Not so sure about Raymond either with his hamstring issues and he would probably make it to practice squad.

I like pie.

4. Rory says:

I like that list but there is a couple of errors IMO. I don’t think we’ll have 5 DE’s so Awasom might be the man out. Plus, Ballard can play there as well. With Awasom out I think we will keep Evans as 5th DT. He probably won’t be active on gameday unless Williams is suspended. Other than that I really like your roster.

5. Casey says:

The problems I see have been talked about already, but I’ll touch on them again. Fusco will beat out Cooper, if only on potential alone and I can’t see the Vikings going with just 4 DT’s when Kevin could be out for 4 games.

Do the Vikings normally keep 5 S? I think I’d rather have another TE or WR. If the Vikings plan on running a lot of 2 TE they may keep 4, haven’t seen enough of the O to know.

6. Man of the Norse says:

Don’t know about Asiada getting D’Imperio cut. In fact, I wouldn’t even bet that Musgrave will keep a fullback. We shall see.

7. Anonymous says:

D’Imperio and Fusco won’t be cut. Don’t play favorites with Cooper–dude’s terrible.

8. cody finch says:

u know its a 54 man roster this year right?

9. thanks for your input guys. i wouldn’t be surprised if Cammy or Fusco made the roster. just difficult to say for sure with anyone at this point in time. and anonymous, i dont get how i’m playing favorites by having Cooper on the roster. if youre implying because i interviewed him. there are several i dont have making the roster i have interviewed in the past.

A fine list, some of them bold. Well done.

Poor poor Dugan.

12. VikingJohn says:

Freds you playing FF this year? Lets go

Hello Johns,

Freds just signed up for the league. I have a full gallon of vasoline to make my reaming go a bit smoother this year.

What, no invite for your old pal Fragile for a pontoon ride this year?

14. Dynalee10 says:

Solid predictions Branden, I might switch the fullbacks but either way one will make roster and one the taxi squad.

15. Dan218 says:

Camarillo has a pretty high cap # for a 4th or 5th receiver, so I would not be surprised if he gets cut. The key will be the other four guys staying healthy, and thats not a strong point for Jaymar, Berrian, or Aromashadu so far in their careers. I don’t think any of those three are better WR’s than Camarillo, but they are more explosive. I think four TE’s will make the roster again this year, but I could still see Dugan getting cut and Reisner making the squad. I think Frampton could be in trouble too. With the KO coming at the 35 he’s not as valuable, and if both Farwell and Onatulo make the roster I think a 5th safety that only plays on special teams is expendable.

• Malte says:

i get what you are saying, but still with the new KO rule Longwell just barely reaches the endzone and the often return it.. If we get a solid Special teams unit, Longwell will make the ball hang in the air and the avarage return will be before the 20 yard line

Branden,
    Nice work! Have to say Camarillo should make it, Great hands…

17. Man of the Norse says:

I gotta say, after reading today’s practice update on ESPN 1500 TC (Pelliserrio is a pretty good beat writer), I would be extremely dissapointed if Sherrels is cut. He’s been having a monster camp and made an impressive INT today. Also, I don’t think Berrian is safe. He might lose his spot to Arceanaux or Camarillo, with the other MAYBE sequeaking in as a 6th reciever.

18. phil says:

we could always trade for asante samuel to make our secondary sooo much better….

Do you think Ryan Cook is safe given the delay in bringing him to camp. Cook’s become the equivalent of a non-roster invitee.

Cook played well enough last year as a backup. Trying DeGeare at RT not a good sign though.

Phil may be onto something re: a trade or veteran p/u for secondary depth. Some interesting names going to shake loose over next two weeks.

I think the O-Line is going to be a mess no matter what they do. I see them leaning towards younger guys with potential, hoping they can build on that moving forward. McNabb is going to have a tough time, I think, though in 2011.

20. Vikadan11 says:

Looks like a good guess to me ~ The only thing I feel strongly about is Griffen will beat out Robison for the LDE spot by mid season if not sooner ~ When I see Robsion with the rest of the DL he looks more like a LBer ~ And he played like a LBer trying to play DE in the first preseason game ~ He got pushed around and stood up at the LOS on 98% of the snaps he played ~

21. JDon says:

I want to see DImperio make it. I liked the way he ran last year. Other than that, that looks like the roster to me, little buddy. Also, it would be cool to see Ballard emerge next to K Will as a inside pash rusher, and if Erin can be anywhere near the animal EJ has been, that would work. I thought I saw a glimpse last week.

22. Bruce says:

Okay, I may have been (probably was) wrong on Aromashodu, but how ’bout that Marcus Sherels call? Dang!