Rice: “I Just Didn’t Feel It”

Receiver Sidney Rice will face his former team on Saturday, as will quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, as the Vikings travel to Seattle for their second preseason game.  Seeing that combination face off against this Vikings defense, albeit for a short amount of time, should make the game slightly more interesting.

Rice recently gave the media some quotes that suggest the Vikings didn’t show the interest in retaining him that he expected.

“If you hear from them throughout the rest of the season telling you they are going to be in touch, are going to negotiate and it never happens, you’ve got to wonder – do they really want me there or not?” Rice said. “I just didn’t feel it… It came down to Seattle showing me they wanted me to be a part of the program.”

“I leave there with fond memories,” Rice added. “I had a great time with the fans and my teammates.”

While many Vikings fans were disappointed to see key players like Rice leave town, the fact that they only have $380,000 in cap space even after these players departed suggests that the Vikings just never really had the fire power to get big deals done in the first place.

21 Responses to “Rice: “I Just Didn’t Feel It””

1. Adam Warwas says:

Hey everyone, glad to be back at it, sorry for the delayed absence… I’ll get caught up here soon.

2. CSlinde says:

Sid Rice is a joke. The Vikings took a chance on him by drafting him. Every year except 2009 he was nothing more than a tackle dummy. He quit on his team and his fans when he decided to wait until the beginning of last year to have surgery, when by a lot of accounts, he should have had it after the 2009 season. Adios

• greymous says:

That’s my take on it as well. He’s played 1 full season so far in his career so all I can say is I hope he’s learned how to catch the “jump pass” as that’s most of what he’s going to see this year.

This is what happens when you have a slimy agent telling you what to do and you’re not smart enough to see he’s playing you for everything he can get.

Good luck Sid ’cause you’re gonna need it.

3. starrc10 says:

Wish him the best.

The unfortunate paradox that keeps coming up in the NFL is that players are jettisoned for not producing/motivational issues. Once they have been “dissed” or “disrespected” they find motivation to burn their new-found “doubters” and sometimes even turn their careers around, thereby “proving their old team was wrong to jettison them”…

I think Adam hit the nail on the head here, they simply didnt have enough cap space to pursue Rice or anybody else for that matter. Thats probably why they waited so long to see the new CBA and cap number.

5. phil says:

we need to get peterson and greeenway an extension to free up some cap space

6. VikingJohn says:

Not so fast, I think Freds is going to make Sid’s his first pick in FF.
    Go Vikes

7. COVikefan says:

Great to have you back Adam

Vikes were forced to make a decision to take a chance on signing Rice with his questionable health and one good season at the expense of having to cut more veteran salaries. As much as I wanted him back, at this point I have to agree with the decision. Might be swallowing hard if he goes out and produces a 1,000 yard, 10 touchdown season though.

Have to feel his 2009 production was more a product of Favre having best year of his career more so than Sid being that good.

8. CSlinde says:

How did going to Seattle work for Nate Burleson? I see the same or worse for happening for Rice as they have NOBODY to throw him the ball.

It IS good to see Adam back!

If the Vike would have outbid the seahawk, old Sid would have been “feelin it”. It’s just abut the money Homie.

10. CSlinde says:

straight cash lol

11. CalVkg says:

green bay can thank seattle for beating new orleans, and that was flukey, but it happens. green bay capitalized

i’ll bet rice is average in seattle, gets discouraged or even gets hurt there. a 7-9 playoff team wanted him and our reject QB, the players took the money and the opportunity. can’t blame them, good marriage of convenience

i don’t care about seattle

12. Vikadan11 says:

This was a great move by the front office IMHO ~ Sure Rice might play a few full seasons but he want have Favre throwing the ball to him ~ On the other hand Rice may not have another full season and his cap # will count vs the cap ~ I believe the Vikings knew what they had in Rice when he waited till TC to get his hip fixed ~ His heart sure didn’t seem to be in whats best the Rice and the Vikings ~ It seems it was all about Rice who must have cared if he played in 2010 or not ~

Defense playin well. Offense, not so much. We are movin now tho. Started at our 1 yard line. Now at Seahawks 13, 1st and 10.

14. lost viking says:

At half credit good Viking pass rush: Robison, Guion Awason. Notice Vike D mixes some blitzes to keep T-Jax off balance.

Thought Cook did nice job on Sidney Rice. M. Sherels having nice game.

Offense is a bit shaky when AD not on the field. Rudolph impressive. Other receivers less so. Neither QB bothered to stretch the field but McNabb impressed.

Vike special teams look good.

Marcus Sherels should make this team, defense looks good. Flyin around, making plays, being aggressive. I like it!
    E. Griffen has played well. But it could be that TJack sucks. He looks lost.
    Offense did OK, O-Line is still trying to get the communication down. Not good when we only have 3 weeks left to go. McNabb did decent, didnt get alot of pt. One good drive. Had some good throws. He looked comfortable. Rudolph looked good, as well as Gerhart. Im not happy with how Ponder is playing.
    It means little, still early. But I think as a team its a step in the right direction.

Big difference with McNabb looking comfortable and having time to make plays vs. T-Jax not having time to execute.

Whitehurst was named player-of-the-game for executing drives. Ponder kept Offensive drives going but really only made a couple of good plays. Webb has ability to slide out of pocket and extend plays.

Overall, Vike looked like the veteran team. First team D played lights out and Offensive drove the ball-if somewhat tentatively. Best of all no injuries.

Next up the vastly improved Cowboy