Vikes Topple T-Jack’s Seahawks

Tarvaris Jackson played poorly as the Seahawks new starting quarterback on Saturday, as the Vikings defense was able to hold both him and Sidney Rice in check.

Donovan McNabb led the starting offense on one efficient drive resulting in a field goal, while the starting defense came up big on a couple of occasions including a goalline stand that was reminiscent of the WilliamsWall in their prime.

Marcus Sherels created the night’s biggest highlight when he nabbed a tipped Tarvaris Jackson pass and returned it 64 yards for a touchdown.  This came after it was Sherels himself that gave the ball to Seattle via a muffed punt.

The Vikings other touchdown came with just over two minutes left in the game when running back Tristan Davis sprang for a 35 yard touchdown on his only carry of the evening.

Raheem Brock had an early sack against the suspect Vikings offensive line, but the line seemed to get it together a little, and no other sacks were registered for the remainder of the game.  Adrian Awasom was the only Vikings player to get a sack of his own, although they managed to get consistent pressure throughout the evening.

This game, which the Vikings won 20-7, was a step in the right direction for the Vikings and gives them something to build on as they get ready for their first home game of the preseason against Dallas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

37 Responses to “Vikes Topple T-Jack’s Seahawks”

Big difference was McNabb looking comfortable and having time to make plays vs. T-Jax not having time to execute. Musgrave’s offensive system apparent with use of Tight End and RB in passing game.

Whitehurst was named player-of-the-game for executing drives. Ponder kept Offensive drives going but really only made a couple of good throws. Seemed to check down too quickly. Webb showed ability to slide out of pocket and extend plays while looking downfield.

Overall, Vike looked like the veteran team. First team D played lights out. Possible that D-line may be improved over last year even with personnel losses. Offensive drove the ball-if somewhat tentatively. Back up offensive line less impressive.

Some reason for optimism before taking on vastly improved Cowboy.

2. Dynalee10 says:

Liked what I saw from our defense, they were swarming to the ball and tackling well ‘ first team” now later i the game The seachickens were driving pretty easily. The biggest concern I see “everyone” sees is that we failed to improve our offensive line and probably they are worse. The Vikes organization had better make this a priority or we will be a bad offense for a long time.

3. starrc10 says:

I hate that our steps in the right direction were at the expense of a miserable team like the Dive-Poopers. I wish we could play the same team we did last week, or a team of equal abilities to see if any progress has really been made.

4. AnotherBlondeViking says:

But the real question for me is whether Sidney “felt it” last night…did he get his respect? Oh, wait….what do you mean,”earn it?”…

Go Vikes! Our test will come next week…

It was great to see Cedrik Griffen get a few snaps and make a play. Made me feel a little better about the cb position.

As I watched the game, it was a good feeling that Bevell, TJack and Rice were on the other sideline. Feels like we have moved on in a good way.

Don’t be surprised if the final roster is a bit different than what some people are predicting. This is Denzel’s team, and I think he won’t be afraid to keep people who show him what he is looking for in a player, rather than just moving people up by seniority. We could also wind up with a player or two coming out of someone else’s camp.

8. Ole says:

Dugan was wiiiiiiiiiide open all night.

9. CSlinde says:

Bevell should have stayed away from T-Joke when he had the chance. Anyone else hear Jared Allen’s sideline interview? Ziggy has the players campaigning for the stadium, or Jared is doing some serious ass smooching…

10. Stonginator says:

CalVike made a good point . . . The worst from the best, beat the best from the worst. Ponder was running for his life on every play, just like Favre did last year. I hope our O line jells REALLY fast.

11. Skol12 says:

Ponder looked like a rookie… and thats putting it nicely. He couldnt throw a semi-accurate ball more than 3 yards, made terrible decisions and showed no promise. I have been down on Ponder since day one, hoping he would prove me wrong, hes proving me right unfortunately. Heres to Andrew Luck the Vikings next draft pick!

• phil says:

i’m also worried about ponder. i still think they shouldve drafted something else with that pick, maybe pouncey or someone else to help our line or defense. we couldve drafted mallet later, who is looking pretty good

• Lost Viking says:

Its a bit early to get down on Ponder. Let’s remember he’s only been with the team three weeks now.

Interesting to watch pre-season performance of 3rd and 4th year QBs. Leinart, Thigpen and Quinn are looking quite accomplished against second and third team Ds. McNabb looked better than we expected and there’s no QB drama.

• Dynalee10 says:

Wow give the kid a break just because you hated the pick, you better get used to him because he is our future QB . Ponder played about as well as you can expect a rookie QB with only a few weeks in the system and at least he hasn’t thrown any picks yet in game situations. If our offensive sieve of a line would give the QB more than one second before he has to scramble for his life then we could judge him more fairly.

• Skol12 says:

Maybe it is unfair to judge him off the past 5-6 first rounders, but compared to them he looks like hell. Mark Sanchez had a better rookie preseason, which isnt saying much. You are right about the line tho, it needs work I just hope it gets worked out and we have a decent OL and make the playoffs, or it is terrible and we fall apart and get Lucky with the first overall pick no more of this 6-19th picks, they never pan out for us.

• Pinwheel26 says:

I think the Vikings have two pretty good young QB prospects. Way better then T_Jack and Rosenthal. You can’t hang it all on a first round pick. If he sucks, he sucks. Look at all the 1st round DE busts, god. I liked what I saw from Ponder. He reminds me of Fran Tarkenton. He’s real busy trying to make the play. He seems sharp and decisive. That’s important. I also love Joe Webb. Both of these guys are going to be very good players and we have Mc nabb to take advantage of Peterson this year. They’re in a good place. I agree with what they did. As far as Wr’s it’s too bad the CFL guy isn’t considered to make it. The play he made would have been sweet except for that punch out. (dang).

• Malte says:

Mark Sanchez had a better rookie season?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? he had 20 interception, a completion ratio just above 50 % and like 12 TD and around 160 yard per game.. He even threw 5 picks in one game.. CMON! Mark Sanchez was lucky to have a great team behind him in his rookie season, VERY great defense, GREAT running game and a AWESOME O-line.
          So far I will say that Ponder does look as good, if not better than sanchez during his rookie season

12. Vikadan11 says:

I wish TJ well and I’m happy he will no longer bring out the worst in Viking fans ~ Now the Seahawks can fight about him over the next 5 seasons or until the coaching staff is fired ~

For a rookie QB with no work prior to the regular training camp, I’d say Ponder actually looks pretty good. Certainly he will look to be in over his head, like all rookies, from time to time. But he has shown command, good decision making, and mobility, and there will be no way to judge his throws in games at this time. I’m sure the coaches have the reins on him pretty tight in terms of the amount of offense he runs in games.

Folks, remember… new Head Coach, new OC (with a very new offense), new DC, several other new coaches, no off season to work on these changes. We really must adjust our expectations accordingly.

I like McNabb / Ponder / Webb much more than Favre / Jackson / Rosenfels, especially in terms of the future of the franchise.

I agree Coach. I thought they made some substantial improvements in the last week. The more time they get to work on things the better they’ll get. I’m still very worried about the o-line tho, that will take a little longer I’m afraid.

Very true, johnny, although I have to say that I saw some improvement there as well, even in one week. Now, I realize level of competition might be a factor, and this line is a long way from playoff caliber, but I’ve got more reason to hope for improvement than I did last year.

I’m pullin’ hard for the Sherels kid. One of our very own.

• starrc10 says:

I am very worried about the Lions d-line. They are looking ferocious compared to our line. Cross those fingers gentlemen.

So Coach what’s the word on the new OL coach? Looks like he’s potentially alot better than the last one. I think Bmac showing up in whale form is a blessing in disguise, dude was a bad influence. I really like Sherels too and think he’s already secured a roster spot even if they have to cut a guy like Asher Allen, sorry GP.

Too early to tell, johnny. There’s a lot to fix here just to get to “functional”, much less good, so I’m just giving them more time. I don’t think it is a coincedence that we have three QB’s who are very mobile. Might as well have guys who can throw on the run and move the chains themselves, cuz it will be needed.

Let me say that it is a good thing that the play chart is NOT in the hands of the head coach during the game. Refreshing change on the Viking sideline, and effective, I think. The head coach should hear what the next play is, and then be able to watch whatever he wants on that play, rather than thinking of the next one. Also lets him focus more on the red flag and clock management.

• Purple Charlie says:

Johnny,
            Have to agree with Coach It sure is nice not to see the play chart in Head Coach’s hand.

Still excited not to see Childress there….

Hey Charlie,

I do not miss Childo one bit and it’s great to see Coach get a good dig on him as well. How can we not agree with Coach? He’s in the NFL and CFL Hall of Fame.

14. Pinwheel26 says:

Yeah, they overpaid for T Jack and Rice, that’s for sure. That folk singer looking back up Charlie guy looked way better, and that’s not saying much. I’m glad T Jack got another shot, I wanted him to succeed, but after seeing the first 2 preseason games of him, it’s the same inability. I’m glad we moved on. I think Arashamawhado could be as good as Rice, in combo with Jenkins, just street guys in comparison. (18 million guaranteed? OMG!!)

Watching the tape today a few newer Vikes stood out:

67 Awasom, Adrian DE
    97 Griffen, Everson DE
    73? Kooistra, Scott OT
    35 Sherels, Marcus CB
    49 Carter, Tony DB

Then there were some disappointments
    30 Raymond, Mistral DB
    95 Johnson, Tremaine DT
    16 Manny Arceneaux WR

Others just didn’t show as much as I was expecting
    11 Jaymar Johnson WR
    99 Ballard, Christian DT
    74 Johnson, Charlie OT
    50 Henderson, Erin LB

Mistral Raymond made three awful plays during Whitehurst scoring drive. Manny Arceneaux’ jumping ability wasn’t given a test when Ponder went looking for checkdowns. Jaymar was invisible on Offense. Ballard and Henderson look the part but spent the night bouncing off blockers.

16. krugjr says:

Webb did everything pretty good and did look more comfortable than Ponder, but JW showed no accuracy on those deep routes with open receivers….he is one hell of an athlete and I’m sure the deep ball will come….I like Ponder and Webb and I hope this McNabb thing doesn’t slow their growth…Donavan can mentor them, but nothing like live playing time to learn….I know it’s early, but I haven’t seen much that says we will compete in the NFC north…so IF we don’t win early and often, thank McNabb for his efforts and give the young men their shot…..

Billings, MT kids are 2-0 at the Little League World Series…I can only hope they’ll come close to what the Hawaii kids did a while back, ain’t that right, Ole?

GO VIKES!!!!!

• Ole says:

Howzit to my old buddy Krugger. Gotta agree on the QB scenario. If they figured out a way to get Dugan the ball, all pressure would be off the young QBs.

BTW, that team from Hilo in the L.L. World Series was a bunch of ringers

17. haber says:

I will immediately take hold of your rss feed as I can’t find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please permit me know in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

18. Hi there, just changed into aware of your weblog thru Google, and found that it’s really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful in the event you continue this in future. Many people shall be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!