A Few Preseason Standouts

Hey guys! With two weeks of the 2011 Preseason in the books, I wanted to go over a few guys for the Vikings who I think are really making a good impression in the preseason.

1. CB Marcus Sherels

In my last post where I predicted who would make the final roster cut for the Vikes, I had Sherels making the practice squad.

I hope I am wrong.

Sherels has done an outstanding job this preseason, in my opinion. He’s made a few nice punt returns, some thorough tackles, and not to mention an excellent pick-six against Seattle on Saturday. The Rochester local is really making a strong case for making the team, and I really hope we see him on the active roster soon.

2. QB Donovan McNabb

There have been mixed feelings around Vikings nation ever since McNabb joined the team. I admit, I was even a bit skeptical about the aquisition, simply because I didn’t know whether we’d be seeing the old McNabb from his days in Philly, or the benched-for-Rex Grossman McNabb of 2010. I have been very impressed with him this preseason though, and I am starting to warm up to the move. Afterall, two sixth round picks are not a lot to give up for a starting quarterback. Although McNabb has not thrown a TD this preseason, I love his poise and how his eyes are always downfield. I’ve seen no sense of panic from him in the pocket, and I think McNabb could have a really good year in 2011.

3. WR Devin Aromashodu

With the loss of Sidney Rice, the Vikings are going to need some receivers to step up. The Vikings signed two free agent wideouts this offseason (Michael Jenkins and Devin Aromashodu), so it’ll be interesting to see how these two are used in the offense. I’ve really liked what I’ve seen from Aromashodu so far. He’s showing speed and quickness, and has made a few very nice grabs. He’s seemed to have caught on to this offensive scheme rather quickly. I hope Mike Jenkins can do the same. We haven’t really seen a lot of Jenkins this preseason.

4. TE Kyle Rudolph

The young rookie has done very well with the time the Vikings have given him this preseason, and has shown that his hamstring is more than healthy. I never really saw much tape of Rudolph in college, so I have been very impressed with his speed, and more importantly, his hands. I think Rudolph is going to be a tremendous tight end in the NFL.

5. OLB Erin Henderson

All bias aside, I think Erin Henderson has had a very good preseason. He had 10 tackles week 1 against Tennessee, and made some nice plays against Seattle as well. He is only 6’3, but he looks a lot bigger, and I almost think he has the build of a defensive end. I think he’ll fill Ben Leber’s role as the LOLB nicely, and of course, it’ll be cool to see him play next to big brother EJ.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

15 Responses to “A Few Preseason Standouts”

1. Justin gallardo says:

I agree with all of your stand outs. Another 1 i would say is Everson Griffen it seems like he is always in the backfield ..tjoke was getting a “hug” from him in most of the plays

2. Zag says:

I love Rudolph. 6’6″ 260+ pounds, plus hands like glue. That’s what I’m talking about.

As for Erin Henderson, I’ve been impressed as well. He seems to be all over the field. Plus, he absolutely DRILLED Leon Washington on Saturday.

I am a little bummed that Jaymar Johnson hasn’t flashed like I hoped he would.

• Branden Lemke says:

thank you both! I agree, Everson Griffen has done well too! Zag, I’m with ya. It seems we hear nothing but good things about Jaymar, but we never really see them on the field. I’m not saying he’s had a BAD preseason, but nothing stellar. Couple nice returns though.

• Fragile Freds says:

JJ Jaymar isn’t making the team. He’s a blog favorite, but dude hasn’t shown scratch. They will let him take his game elsewhere.

3. CalVkg says:

looks like zulgad has left the basement, his pic and info are gone from AV. i guess espn is expanding at the strib’s demise

mark craig’s got it now, apparently. one guy where there were two. newspapers have been in trouble for years and they’re continuing to decline. his article today relates to this post…

Vike were playing Erin Henderson at weakside and MLB. Had difficulty with his MLB play. Agree he looks the part. Good range but he’s not EJ at MLB. Expect Kenny Onatulu to provide the competition at OLB.

Jasper Brinkley had mixed evening and should really concentrate on MLB. What benefit in mixing these guys around at different positions?

Thought Rudolph was out-of-sync w/ McNabb on 3rd down throw. Stopped running but that happens. Once.

Everson Griffin/Brian Robison/Letroy Guion played really well example-goal line defense. Will get better test at Cowboy.

How the Viking plan to use WR in offense is unsettled. Aromashodu provides big play alternative missing from Berrian, Jenkins. Haven’t seen as many checkdowns and bailouts since Koren Robinson and Travis Taylor.

• Malte says:

Just as you mention the Goal Line stance I think I would add a little think too. Chris Cook (yes the CB who was blocked the entire night against titans) – he held the edge very good and was phsycal at the LOS. He also was one on one with Sidney Rice in the endzone and did quite well 🙂

5. starrc10 says:

Adam… how about a blog roll?

What do you mean?

Sorry I haven’t been around guys. Out of town… lots of work… and lately been curled up in the fetal position with a bottle of nyquil (when I’m not working) trying to shake a nasty bug. Motivation = none

Lots happening today… glad Randy and Branden have you covered, though. Love the Caleb King signing.

6. Vikadan11 says:

Lemke I agree with everything but E. Henderson ~ I’m not a big fan yet ~ The guy makes so tackles but many are well beyond the LOS ~ I’m not saying he isn’t the best player on the roster for thWill job ~ I just believe the Vikings need get Greenway sign so they can clear some cap room to bring in some help for the OL and Will spot ~

Hey Branden how about a list of biggest disappointments? Cook and A. Allen would be two of the obvious but how about some others?

8. Skol12 says:

Sherels. The guy needs to make the team, he is a Minnesota guy nobody gave a second look to(or even a first) and he will be a fan favorite if he isnt terrible