Cowboys/Vikings Game Thoughts

Offense:

We got a good look at what the Vikings will look like on offense week 1 against the Chargers and I like what I seen. McNabb looked as sharp as the offense moved the ball down the field well and Adrian Peterson looked like, well, Adrian Peterson…The beast we all know he is. The Vikings had 4 drives of 50 yards or more and I like what I seen from Bill Musgrave as far as formations and plays. Musgrave used alot of different formations including a 3 TE bunch set on the first play of the game. Musgrave also showed throughout the night that he’s going to allow McNabb to take shots down field. When you have Adrian Peterson in the backfield it’s going to open up things down field and Musgrave seems like he will attack it when he can.

Percy Harvin looks like he will get a ton of targets and besides a wide open dropped pass on 3rd down, he played well. Michael Jenkins and Berrian look like some reliable targets and Emmanuel Arceneaux also had a nice 43 yard grab from Joe Webb down the sideline in the 2nd half.

One thing I know is the Vikings will need to find a way to get Joe Webb into the game during the regular season. He’s a nightmare for defensive cordinators, simple as that. He had a 10 yard TD run and also a 36 yard run finishing with 2 rushes for 46 yards and a TD. Christian Ponder didn’t get into the game until 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter and led the Vikings down to the 16 yard line before time ran out.

One player i’m wonder what the Vikings will do with is TE Allen Reisner. He catches pretty much anything that comes to him and with Shaincoe’s contract up this year I would like to see them hang onto him. Getting him on the practice squad will be tricky. Remember they tried to get Mickey Shuler on their practice squad last year and the Dolphins claimed him. TE is deep for the Vikings so I don’t know if they’ll have room for him but I’d like to see him stick on the team.

The Offensive line impressed me last night also. Musgrave drew up alot of plays helping them out with chip blocks and extra TE’s but overall they played well as a unit. Herrera made his debut after tearing his ACL last year and looked good. One player who stood out to me though was John Sullivan. He held his own against Jay Ratliff who’s no easy task.

Defense:

Vikings defense was pretty bland. Doesn’t look like Pagac will show his hand before week 1 at the Chargers.

Cowboys tested Cedric Griffin alot during his 27 snaps in the game. Griffin was thrown at 8 times and Romo completed 6 of those passes for 57 yards. It was Griffins first real test and I expect him to improve as time goes on. Chris Cook played decently in his nickel duties even though he was flagged for interferance early in the game. Winfield and Cook both were shaken up during the game and eventually pulled but both have said they will be fine.

Marcus Sherels is continuing his impressive training camp and preseason. He was the first person to get a crack at punt return duties last night and also had a tremendous pass break up on 3rd down early in the game. I think he has a very good chance at making the roster but at his size(5’10, 175lbs.) he’s ment for the slot which Winfield plays at in the Nickel packages.

Tom Pellisero of ESPN 1500 wrote an article about the Vikings cornerbacks yesterday and something I have to agree with is if Winfield, Griffin, or Cook go down to injury, the Vikings could be in trouble. Will be interesting to see what the Vikings do there. I  like what I see from Cord Parks at times, he seems to be a really good tackler but are his coverage skills good enough to be an effective CB? Brandon Burton also another player thats had his ups and downs, and I think he has a chance to be good but he looks like a practice squad player right now.

Jamarca Sanford looks like he has the upper hand in the safety position. While I don’t think either him or Johnson really impressed last night, I believe Sanford looked a little better than Johnson. This is one position that I don’t think will be decided on until after Thursdays game.

Vikings defensive line looked good. Brian Robison did some nice things in run support last night and Christian Ballard looks like he will take over Robison’s role from last year. He has impressed this pre-season and has 2 sacks in 3 games.

20 Responses to “Cowboys/Vikings Game Thoughts”

I thought the same thing about Sully last night, he had at least one pancake block that I saw. The o-line must be reading the blogs and getting tired of being called out on their awful play. Just a thought

2. JayTee says:

I’ve resisted as long as I possibly could, it’s Jamarca Sanford, not Jamarcus. Sorry, I’ll never bring it up again.

• Randy Perrin says:

Appreciate letting me know Jay, I post from my phone so it Auto corrects it to Jamarcus…Thanks for pointing it out

• Tomb... says:

Yeah Randy. The name ain’t baby. It’s Janet.

Miss Jackson if you’re nasty.

Tomb you’re back, Coach will prolly scold you for your absence.

• Tomb... says:

Yeah but, Coach probably scolds his Johnson for needing to much choke and finessing to start up and work properly…and he probably scolds his outboard too.

OMG! Haha LMFAO. Sorry Coach

Wrong johnny, (and wipe that smirk off your face!) I’m not gonna scold Tomb. Its comments like this one that make me appreciate his abstinence, er… I mean his absence. It’s obvious he knows very little about any of my johnsons, as they are all ready to go and working just fine.

Having trouble revvin’ your outboard are ya Tomb? Maybe you’re mixing too much oil in your gas, huh?

• Tomb... says:

Mix oil and gas? You must have a really old Johnson.

Rather than a “really old Johnson”, I might be more inclined to refer to it as a “tried, true and experienced” unit.

3. Favrelous says:

I liked watching Peterson running behind a line that was not zone blocking. made me feel vikes will impose their will on others.

Sounds good, Nfl Network will play the game this week , I will watch it.

Johnny,Randy, I sure am glad to hear a Positive on Sully for sure!

Charlie, I dang near fell out of my chair when I saw Sullys pancake. I rubbed my eyes and watched the replay really close and there it was plain as day.

5. hookem says:

One thing I have noticed this preseason is that the Vikings found a hidden gem in Ballard. The dude is a beast and looks to be making a future for himself

OK, is it just me or is there ridiculous depth at center on this team?
    C John Sullivan,
    C Jon Cooper
    G/T Ryan Cook,
    RG Anthony Herrera
    OG Seth Olsen
    LS Cullen Loeffler

Hate the concept of a long snapper. Particularly one that can’t actually get anyone blocked on a kick. Ever wonder why it is, with nearly all the above expected to make the roster, Vike can’t ditch the long snapper?

Answer: Vike have Special Teams Coordinator who needs to have his own center to keep practises going. Result – Vike drop Olsen or Fusco so we can keep dedicated LS (who just can’t seem to make his blocks).

Anonymous,
    Relax… Those three have been friends for a long time… They were joking.

8. Vikadan11 says:

The only real disagreement I have is about Robison doing a good job ~ He has been avg. at best IMHO ~ Those wanting Edwards gone will be calling for Robison head by mid season ~ Just a git feeling based on what I have seen in the past and this preseason hasn’t made me feel any better ~ He best used coming off the bench fresh ~ Just like with Rice the Vikings made their bed with Robison ~

Anyone calling for Berrian to be cut ~ JMHO I dont believe it will happen ~ I believe the Vikings knew at the end of last season they were not going to resign Rice or Edwards because of the cap space and Rice has had one good season health and stat wise ~ He has done no better staying healthy and Berrian’s cap hit is less than Rice’s would have been ~