LB Brinkley Has Hip Surgery; Likely to Miss All of 2011

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier has confirmed that linebacker Jasper Brinkley did have hip surgery on Tuesday according to Mark Craig of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

Frazier will update Brinkley’s situation on Thursday night, but Brinkley is expected to be moved to season-ending injured reserve.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

24 Responses to “LB Brinkley Has Hip Surgery; Likely to Miss All of 2011”

1. Zag says:

This needed to happen. He wasn’t the Brinkley that we hoped to see in camp. Hopefully he’ll bounce back next season.

As of now, I’m hoping Griffen or lil’ Henderson can step up and fill the weak side LB spot and/or give us some quality depth. I think Larry Dean has a future, but he has a lot to learn. Same for Ross Homan.

2. Justin gallardo says:

Well unless Griffen becomes what he is at de (beast) for the linebacker postion ..we just lost our big hitter..ugh. What ever happen to the hard hits

3. LeCount80 says:

I would like to see Dean make the roster. He may need a few pounds added, but he is a high energy, high character guy. And a heck of a football player too.

• VSU BlazerLady says:

Couldn’t have said it better, LeCount80. Watched him during his whole college career and knew him as a student. Quality young man.

4. Stonginator says:

I would like to see both Dean and Homan make the 53 man roster.

Will the game tonight be on TV anywhere?

5. Justin gallardo says:

Greenway hardly ever cracks ppl..i wish we had a patrick willis type at the linebacker spot..just cuz i love the hard hits…that why antoine winfield is and will always be my favorite player

6. fozz44 says:

How about Awasom? He seems pretty Awesome right now?

7. wtfvikesfan says:

Looks like this site is falling apart. No articles about tonights game. And the shitty article about nfc north forcast. I miss adam.

8. wtfvikesfan says:

Can I right articles?

Try this, wtf.

With nearly all opening game starters watching from the sidelines, the Minnesota Viking players seeking the final roster spots showed their coaches why they are deserving (or not deserving) of making the squad in a lopsided 28-0 victory over the Houston Texans on Thursday night. While a preseason score or outcome is rendered meaningless by all but the most devoted of fans, the performances of several players on the roster bubble appear to have provided some difficult decisions for head coach Leslie Frazier and his staff. Here are some of the more notable calls to be made as the season opens…

Who will be the number two QB? Both Christian Ponder and Joe Webb showed improvement and skills that could vault them into the back-up role. Moving in the pocket, throwing on the run, and often showing the ability to read defenses and create positives when the line broke down, it appears to simply be a matter of preference for the coaches.

Who will be the odd men out at such positions as LB, TE, CB, WR and running back. Newcomers Larry Dean, Allen Reisner, Marcus Sherels, Caleb King, and several others all gave the coaches something to think about in setting their final roster, and it would not be surprising to see a significant number of new faces on this final roster. The Vikings will likely have to make some risky moves in transferring players with potential onto their practice squad.

What will the wide receiver corps look like? Each wide receiver who is apparently on the bubble has shown moments of both reasons to stay and be cut. The final count and make-up appears to be a true unknown at this point.

After the game, head coach Leslie Frazier stated that salary cap would not be a consideration at all in the final roster decisions, but it is hard to imagine that it wouldn’t come into play to some degree. Frazier also stated that a final determination on the status of linebacker Jasper Brinkley, who had hip surgery on Wednesday, had not yet been made. Jasper could be placed on the season-ending injured reserve list.

Coach you are hired. Now it’s time to step up to the plate and give your opinion on which players stay and which ones go.

Yeah, that would be the hard part, and I think it is extra difficult for us to predict because something tells me that some familiar names might show up on the cut list. There are a lot of new decision makers in that room, and I just have a gut feeling that they are going to see some previous Vikings a little differently when compared to some of these new folks. It is time for the Vikings to get younger wherever they can, and I think we will see that by Monday morning. Camarillo, Kleinsasser, Dugan, Farwell, R.Cook, Evans… I’m not saying any of these guys will get cut, but I don’t think their name is written in ink, either. I also think that the Asher Allens and Chris Cooks are less of a lock than some might think.

This is Leslie’s first real shot at making this his own team, and I don’t think he’s afraid to do that, as evidenced by his move with McKinnie. Remember, he seems to want a certain type of player mentally as well as physically, and we have less knowledge of those types of things.

I will say there are ten names I would like to see on either the PS or final roster: Sherels, Olsen, Reisner, Awanson, Arceneaux, Dean, King, Fusco, Love, Ballard. Numbers may not allow it, but I think they can be players. I’m not sure what to say about Mistral Raymond. He is supposedly very good, but can’t say I’ve seen that.

Your turn johnny…

• VSU BlazerLady says:

If you can “write”, then you would be “right”!

Anyone else ready to watch a game that counts?

Just one more week! Nice article Coach. You write that yourself?
    Adam, check in and let us know youre ok. Earthquake, tsunami warning. You too Fran.

yeah, I did, cart, but not gonna make a habit of it – too sloppy when compared to real writers. Just figured it would pass in our moment of desperation here.

• Tomb... says:

Actually it was pretty damn good. Well balanced, proper spelling and grammar with nice use of words. Had a nice, easy flow when reading.

…and the really impressive part? You didn’t obsess on the OL, and there was zero mention of the Twins or baseball.

All in all, I’d hire ya Coach!

Would I be allowed to insert the occassional pun, Tomb?

Yeah, it dawned on me after I posted that I was so conscious of not dwelling on the OL, that I left out the discussion altogether. Bad form on my part. Well, the OL topic deserves an article all to itself anyway, so perhaps it was for the best.

So, Tomb, who trots onto the field when D Mac comes up limping?

• Tomb... says:

How’s about if we agree the only puns you are allowed to use are funny ones. That should effectively eliminate the use of your puns altogether.

As far as #2 QB? It’s irritating, I have cable, damn near every channel. If you want the NFL ticket, you have to have satellite. So I also had satellite installed on one TV a couple weeks ago. HOWEVER, the NFL ticket doesn’t cover preseason, NFL Network only, who has NOT shown the Vikes game yet. So I have yet to see it, and cannot comment on who looked better. Massive burden, I tell ya.

Furthermore, Leslie seems to be playing it close to the vest on who’s going to be #2 in the rotation, so I just don’t know.

The beauty of the new agreement though, is that you can play your #3 QB, and still go back to your #1 or #2. Makes the “slotting” somewhat irrelevant, and the ability to wildcat once in awhile a nice option for either of your bench QB’s.

Excuse me? “Fairley Suhn” wasn’t funny? Sheesh!

I didn’t see the whole game, but from what I did see, and the highlights after, I gotta say that Ponder looks like a pretty good choice last spring. I know, those were roster wannabes on the other side as well, but I have seen others (JD Booty for starters) stink it up against any level of opposition. He reminds me of Rich Gannon, but with a better background of playing experience, so he will probably develop much faster. Even so, I gotta believe Denzel would give the nod to Webb at this stage of the game.

I do generally like the young bunch of O-linemen we have. Will be interesting to see who the coaches like.

11. akvikesfan says:

All good here, CC, thanks!