DT Kevin Williams Suspended First Two Games

Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams has been suspended without pay for the team’s opening pair of contests in the 2011 regular season and fined an additional two games checks for violating the NFL policy on performance enhancing substances, according to a statement released Friday by the NFL.

Williams’ suspension begins on Saturday, September 3. The Oklahoma State product will be able to return to the Vikings’ active roster on Monday, September 19 following the club’s Week two September 18 meeting with Tampa Bay, the statement said.

7 Responses to “DT Kevin Williams Suspended First Two Games”

1. hookem says:

No real big surprise there, I guess we can be glad its just two games and not 4

2. Randy Perrin says:

Never easy losing an All Pro. Letroy Guion will more than likely replace Williams in the starting lineup for first 2 games.

Also with Williams dealing with a foot injury, 2 game rest will only help him. Mike Wobschall also believes it might open a roster spot.

I would be curious to know how it could open a roster spot. That doesn’t seem logical to me, but I’m not privy to all the new player categories that we have these days.

3. VikingJohn says:

A roster spot for two games.

So you would just list him as “inactive”, or what? It would seem to me the team has to decide if they are putting him on their roster or not.

4. Vikadan11 says:

So he will miss 4 weeks total when you include the 2 preseason games ~ So it might take him two more games to get back into game shape if they are lucky when you add in the bad foot deal also ~ So it could be week 5 or 6 before we see the return of KW on his avg. number of game snaps ~ Unless Robison or someone else can step up to help Allen it could be a ugly start for the defense ~ Trying to replace two starts is going to be tough with Guion and Robison ~ One player might not be such a big deal ~ 2 is bad enough ~ But with KW out the Vikings are going to be replacing 3 starts from last year until KW is fit to return ~

I’m looking for a very slow start (in wins) this season because of the DL not getting pressure ~ Maybe all the young guys play grade and thats want I’m hoping for ~ But I’m not counting on it ~ On the other hand maybe the offense ou scores the other team and AP ha a couple 200 yard games in the early going ~

5. Prince says:

The defense needs some people to emerge as new stars, because they have no play makers right now. As far as K will, an injured player is probably less effective than his back up. This is where Ballard steps in, I think. One game at a time. I think Peterson and Mcnab will be a better combination than people think, add Percy and the tight ends. I think it’s all on the defense, I hope defensive minded Frazier and his buddy Singletary keep the D in check. New stars , Greenway, Cook, Ballard, Robison.