Vikings 53 Man Roster and Thoughts

Vikings have released their 53 man roster and had a few surprises on it.

Offense

QB(3) – Donovan McNabb, Christian Ponder, Joe Webb
RB(3) – Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhart, Lorenzo Booker
WR(5) – Percy Harvin, Bernard Berrian, Michael Jenkins, Greg Camarillo, Devin Aromashodu
TE(4) – Visanthe Shiancoe, Kyle Rudolph, Jim Kleinsasser, Allen Reisner
OL(10) – Charlie Johnson, Steve Hutchinson, John Sullivan, Anthony Herrera, Phil Loadholt, Jon Cooper, Brandon Fusco, DeMarcus Love, Pat Brown, Seth Olsen

Defense

DL(9/10) – Jared Allen, Brian Robison, Kevin Williams(Suspended 2 games, doesn’t count towards 53) Remi Ayodele, Letroy Guion, Everson Griffen, Christian Ballard, Adrian Awasom, Fred Evans, D’Aundre Reed
LB(5) – EJ Henderson, Chad Greenway, Erin Henderson, Kenny Onatolu, Larry Dean
CB(6) – Antoine Winfield, Cedric Griffin, Chris Cook, Asher Allen, Marcus Sherels, Brandon Burton
S(5) – Husain Abdullah, Jamarca Sanford, Tyrell Johnson, Mistral Raymond, Eric Frampton

ST(3)

K – Ryan Longwell
P – Chris Kluwe
LS – Cullen Loeffler

Some notable cuts include OL Chris DeGeare, Ryan Cook, Heath Farwell, and Jeff Dugan

-Chris DeGeare showed up to camp out of shape and never really separated himself in camp. He will now be a free agent because of it.

-Vikings seemed eager to re-sign OL Ryan Cook so I was surprised to see them part ways with him. Not starting material but does provide some versatility along the line as a reserve. Surprised to see the Vikings take Pat Brown and Seth Olsen over him.

-Vikings choose to save some money by cutting ways with Heath Farwell and to be honest none of the new Vikings coaches were ever excited about his skill set. UDFA Larry Dean takes his place.

-Jeff Dugan is one of the hardest working players in the NFL but unfortunately he doesn’t have a great skill set. Vikings didn’t want to take a chance losing sure handed UDFA TE Allen Reisner on waivers. Very excited to see what he brings to the table.

-Marcus Sherels played his behind off this pre-season and training camp and deserved to make the roster. He provides some depth as a nickel CB and was glad to see him make the final 53.

-Kevin Williams suspension allowed the Vikings to keep all the D-Lineman they wanted to. Someone will be waived come week 3 when he returns. D’Aundre Reed might be moved to practice squad.

-Vikings chose not to go with a FB on their 53 man roster. Could roll with 4 TE’s for season or could also bring in someone.

-Vikings have 3 Centers on their 53 but Cooper might be asked to slide to G/T.

-Vikings now have some money to play with, could make a few moves before week 1.

Congratulations to all who made it and wish everyone else the best of luck moving forward.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

56 Responses to “Vikings 53 Man Roster and Thoughts”

I know its a numbers game, but I would have liked to see that King kid make the team, and the CFL receiver (thought there’d be room by letting Camarillo go). I think they both showed some serious potential, and maybe one or both winds up on practice squad. Otherwise, I like the direction of this roster. I know it could still change, so we’ll see what happens.

• Randy Perrin says:

I know they want Manny Arceneaux on the practice squad as long as he makes it through waivers. Haven’t heard anything on Caleb King but wouldn’t be surprised if they bring him on the practice squad too.

• Vikadan11 says:

If true this most likely had something to do with his cut ~ I did love the way this young man (King) was following his blockers vs the Texans ~ I hope he makes the PS at least ~

Vikings waived RB Caleb King, King showed very little during his time on the roster, and we’re skeptical that he has a future at all in the NFL after running a 4.7 before the supplemental draft.
      Sep 3 – 6:25 PM

2. hookem says:

I hope they sign Brandon Meriweather

• Randy Perrin says:

I wouldn’t mind bringing in Meriweather. He had a great 2009 but a terrible 2010. So depends on which Meriweather your going to get. Has the talent but doesn’t always play up to his potential.

• akvikesfan says:

Pretty major character concerns too. When the hoodie cuts a guy… you have to wonder.

• Randy Perrin says:

Very true Adam, Still Was very surprised they cut him after releasing S James Sanders a few days earlier. Sanders actually out played Meriweather last year.

• Lost Viking says:

Patriot could struggle in a tough division. Haven’t shown anything in pre-season either offensively or defensively. Belichick may have decided he had to juggle the roster.

• Vikadan11 says:

I remember when Meriweather came out of college but I haven’t keep up with the guy ~ What has he done thats so bad after making the pro bowl twice that would make NE cut the guy ` ?

3. phil says:

i think we should get polite, the dolphins just released him..solid fullback

4. Rory says:

We really need a LB. For depth we have Onatolu and Dean. One injury and we are in big trouble. Clint Ingram and Rashad Jeanty could be good fits. Im praying we get Meriweather, Sanford and Johnson just aren’t good enough.

Justin Gage, Laurent Robinson, Charles (Buster) Davis and Yamon Figurs are available. That almost sounds like a starting group of receivers. They have started a lot of games.

I am most surprised to see Camarillo survive the cut. Evidently he’s someone that Musgrave plans to involve more than the preseason revealed. Either that, or his survival is temporary. Just thought he would likely be gone.

Randy, I have heard two final decisions on Brinkley. One was the 6-week PUP list, and the other was the full season IR. Can you, or anyone, confirm for me?

On another note, I didn’t get to comment on this when the news was posted, but I am a bit annoyed by the NFL decision to hit KWill with a two-week pay cut IN ADDITION to the two week suspension. This has a bad aroma to it. Basically, the league decides to go lighter on the team, but not on the player. I am not by nature a conspiracy theorist, but is this residue from the CBA squabble this past summer? Surprised the union hasn’t jumped on this one – maybe nothing they can do.

• Randy Perrin says:

Brinkley was placed on IR, Ending his season.

• Fragile Freds says:

Perhaps Buds if Kevin William didn’t cheat he wouldn’t have to worry about the consequences…and you wouldn’t have to be so annoyed.

Hey Fred, do you think that Pat and Kevin knew they were cheating? I dont know for sure but I’m guessing they didnt know. What say you?

• Fragile Freds says:

That’s like saying you didn’t know there was corn in Iowa. These two Ricards knew what they were doing. They also knew that all they had to do was check with the league in advance of taking the illegal drug that they didn’t know was illegal.

By the way, there really is corn in Iowa.

Ok Freds mock me if you wish but I seriously didnt know what to think. Especially with Phat Pat, dude is obviously not on steriods but has a serious weight issue. Just glad it’s over and we can move past it.

• akvikesfan says:

I gotta agree with Freds to a point.

Any of us doubtless have jobs that have a policy in place stating that the internet is not to be used for personal reasons. Yet, almost all of us surely log onto our favorite sites (like this one) from time to time. That would be grounds for punishment, no doubt, and the excuse “you never distributed a list stating specifically that Vikings Gab is a prohibited site” would not be worth a hoot.

I am still trying to tie “no corn in Iowa” to the Kevin Williams issue. Gotta tell ya I’m not having much luck there.

Yes, perhaps, Freds. However, to follow your theme, it seems a little like saying you wouldn’t have to replace all four tires shot out by the patrolman if you hadn’t rolled through the stop sign. I wasn’t addressing guilt or innocence. I was addressing the interesting, perhaps devious, nature of the resulting consequence. I have just never heard of such a consequence in previous cases, and thus, it annoys me.

Its Kevin’s money though, so I think I will sleep OK.

8. VSU BlazerLady says:

Congrats to Larry Dean!! Reading that he made the team just made my day complete. Larry’s college team just won the first game of the season in double overtime!

Great day to be a Blazer!!

Great day to be a Viking…….guess I’ll have to order a Vikes t-shirt now!!

Woohoo!!
    🙂

• Randy Perrin says:

Was waiting to hear from you VSU. Congrats to Dean!

• VSU BlazerLady says:

Just got in from the VSU game this afternoon…..hot, tired, and blistered!!

Looking forward to watching the Vikes this season……it’s been quite a while since I’ve watched NFL games…..as you can tell, I’m a D2 girl!!

🙂

• Randy Perrin says:

Love and respect the fanhood! Great to have you on board as a Vikes fan now and like C.Carterhof said, “you must develop a strong dislike for a certain green and gold team.”

• c.carterhof says:

Yep, good job Larry! Go Blazers! I dont really have a college team, so why not.
      If you are now a Viking fan BlazerLady, you must develop a strong dislike of a certain green and gold team.

• VSU BlazerLady says:

You know, I have never really liked green……just not my color!!
        *wink*

If you don’t have a college team that you follow….you could become a Blazer fan….
        🙂

Flame Red and Black!!

• Malte says:

I’m on board 🙂
          I’m from Denmark, Europa, so I have NO relation what so ever to any college team, but could be fun to have a team to follow 🙂 not to sound stupid but what is the name of the college?

9. Ole says:

congratulations to Larry Dean, his uncle Jimmy, aunt Paula and his foster mother, VSU Blazer Lady. I sincerely hope Larry Dean leads the Vikings to a Super Bowl victory, and in lieu of our favorite hunk of man meat getting cut today, I also hope Larry Dean is the Super Bowl MVP, multiple times.

Larry Dean
    made the team
    but he is
    Dugan

• VSU BlazerLady says:

Maybe not, but he’ll give you 100% week in and week out!!

Besides, not really sure, but I think Dean probably has more rings than Dugan….National Championship, Gulf South Conference, etc….Larry knows what winning is all about….’..just sayin….

Anyway, talk is cheap….full aware that the NFL is all about “what have you done for me lately?”

• Norseman66 says:

Yeah, those 3 touchdowns he scored over 7 years will be sorely missed.

10. Ole says:

people to blame for Dugan getting cut – ABV

time for all of you folks to tune into ESPN 2 and watch Hawaii battle Colorado

• Fragile Freds says:

Sorry about your loss Oles. Dugan lived a charmed life, little doubt his days were numbered.

• AnotherBlondeViking says:

Sorry about your loss, Ole! I guess I didn’t cheer loud enough for your guy. But like they say, all is fair in roster cuts, hand grenades and Happy Dances…

I’m excited for the season! I like what Coach Fraz is doing!

11. bisatc says:

For what its worth, I just set my franchise Madden 12 Vikings team to the current roster (sans A. Awesome, Sherells, Dean, and Bad-moon-Reisner ) and the team is pretty sweet to play with!

Whatever the outcome of the Minnesota Vikings this year, its sure going to be fun watching the new Musgrave offense for me. Does anybody else feel sorry for Seattle’s offensive hopes under Bevel?

12. bisatc says:

oh come on fred, can’t you see the coolness of modifying the roster to reflect the real team? Why would I want to play with players that are not on the team now? Don’t worry, I have a life…

• titan concrete says:

I too play madden frequently, but unlike you, I have come to realize that I don’t have a life. face it, you posted at 10 pm on a saturday night that you were playing madden…..you probably don’t have a life. its ok….we aren’t here to judge.

• CalVkg says:

ahh, objection

• titan concrete says:

to help prove my point, it is 1 in the morning, and between games I am checking in at vikings gab. I really do not have a life…but I do enjoy not having one. (sorry everyone, I get a little chatty after a few beers. my options of talking are my wife or this site. if one person on this site listens, I’m doing better on here)

• c.carterhof says:

Question for all you Madden playin’ no life havers.

Do you prefer trying to keep it real? Like Bisatc. Or Make your own roster.

• akvikesfan says:

Keep it real for year one of franchise mode and then make the roster mine to do as I wish after that. I’ve really fizzled on MAdden over the last few years though. Haven’t even bought it yet this year.

• titan concrete says:

Real roster all the time, although I do switch the depth chart around on occasion. I can tell you that the makers didn’t give Mcnabb much love.

• starrc10 says:

Our ol’ pal Freds has an unending appetite and creativity for giving folks a hard time.

13. CalVkg says:

frazier ate childress’ young today

let the rebuilding begin

14. Justin gallardo says:

Damn the bears got merriweather…im tired of seeing everyone else get better while the vikings get worse.

15. bisatc says:

Exactly. Trust me, we are better off without Merritrouble. I was playing and posting on this fine site on a saturday night at 10 pm because I was Mr. Mom last night for my 5 children. I agree with you ak, accutate roster year one, go for some change in years to follow. Been playing my 13 yr old son all day…..he getting pretty dang good!

16. I’ve been browsing online more than three hours as of late, but I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made just right content as you did, the internet can be much more useful than ever before.