The Vikings End Up Keeping A Fullback… On Their Practice Squad.

It turns out the Vikings will end up having a fullback in 2011, just not on their active roster. The Vikings have re-signed FB Matt Asiata to the practice squad. It’s hard to tell what the Vikings will do for the fullback position this year with 4 tight ends on the 53-man roster, and no designated fullbacks.

The Vikings have also re-signed WR Emmanuel Arceneaux to the practice squad, leaving 6 remaining positions open. Expect more practice squad signings today and tomorrow.

UPDATE: Tom Pelissero now reporting FB Ryan D’Imperio has also re-signed with the Vikings as a member of the practice squad. D’Imperio was the Vikings 7th round pick in 2010. That makes 2 fullbacks signed to the Vikings practice squad, none to the 53 man roster.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

38 Responses to “The Vikings End Up Keeping A Fullback… On Their Practice Squad.”

1. Malte says:

nice to see Emmanuel Arceneaux on the pratice squad. I believe that he will be better when he fully understands the offense and the difference from CFL to NFL

2. akvikesfan says:

Really hoping Caleb King makes the PS.

3. akvikesfan says:

I’m not 100% sure of the rules, and I know he’s young enough to qualify, but it’d be interesting if DeGeare ended up on the PS.

4. akvikesfan says:

Wonder if the Vikings will try and shop any of their depth on the D-Line while KWill serves his suspension. Last year it was Jayme Mitchell.

5. akvikesfan says:

The cowboys just swiped Andre Holmes onto their practice squad, oh well.

6. Skol12 says:

Hope to see Homan on the PS. Him and JJ were the two I was sad to see cut.

7. akvikesfan says:

I trust our front office on a lot of levels, but MAN it is annoying that we always seem last to do anything. Last to announce signings, last to negotiate with rookies, last to announce practice squad.

8. bisatc says:

I’m with Skol, hope they bring back JJ to p.s. Iglesias also, liked his potential. I also believe that holdong on to two more FB/H-backs is essential for depth in Musgrave’s offenses…..which I think is going to make our mediocre line look decent because of our formations and matching personnel.

9. briano29 says:

Vikings waive TE Allen Reisner to make room for LB Xavier Adibi. Reisner could be headed for practice squad.
    11 minutes ago

From Judd Zulgad

Geez that doesnt make much sense? Looks to me like they need 4 TEs in Musgraves offense and no way Reisner makes it to practice squad.

• akvikesfan says:

He might make it to the PS… NFL seems kind of swamped with TE depth this year. Seattle lost John Carlson, and they got a look at Reisner in the preseason, so that could be a possibility.

I dont know Adam, Reisner got alot of good press. It leaves us awful thin at TE all the sudden. Shank has a hamstring issue and hasnt played all preseason, Sasser is getting a little long in the tooth and Rudolph has a little injury history himself.

10. bisatc says:

Agreed, but perhaps they get him on the practice squad and the two FB/H-Backs already there and Reisner can serve as depth for Musgrave’s Jumbo Sets. Hat on Hat and let peterson and harvin go to work.

11. bisatc says:

BTW, NFL Network about to replay Vikes/Texans pre-season game in HD in 7 minutes. I know its the last pre-season game, but its still Viking Football.

12. vikingrob22 says:

I hope Reisner clears – otherwise cutting Dugan will be a big mistake…

• Vikadan11 says:

I do believe the need for a backup Mike LBer was bad enough to force a move like this ~ I hope the can get Reisner signed to the PS ~ They will need him next year for sure with Kyle Rudolph the only TE under contract after this season ~

• Hassian Jones says:

You guys are in a tight end panic. My advice to you is to keep a tight end. Don’t give up on Shank. Him, the rookie and Sauce and any other 4th string tight end will do. Can probly get either or both Dugan or Reisner back. Like they’re some big steals. We have our stars: Shank and Rudolph.

• Malte says:

I really just hope he clears waivers. He has good hands and could be devloped into a solid TE for the vikings in years to come

13. phil says:

they should get the fullback Polite now

I think the tentative final roster of the 2011 Vikings makes some statements about head coach Leslie Frazier…

1. If you work hard and perform well, there’s a place on this team for you regardless of your name. Players like Sidney Rice, Ben Leber, Bryant McKinnie and Ray Edwards were allowed to take their play elsewhere. Long time support players like Jeff Dugan, Heath Farwell and Ryan Cook were jettisoned as well. The message seems to be, “If you haven’t become a playmaker or challenged for a starting spot yet, you probably won’t this year either. Thanks for your time here, but we’re moving on, and we expect legitimate competition at all positions.
    2. He recognizes that success in the NFL is heavily dictated at the line of scrimmage. There are no less than 19 linemen on this squad, and when a roster spot was needed today, that number stayed intact. This sends the message that there are people waiting to play if you aren’t getting the job done. Whether accomplished in weeks, months or years, we are going to gain control of the line of scrimmage, and we will keep putting people in place until that happens.
    3. This is Leslie Frazier’s team, and he will go to battle with a certain type of warrior. The culture he seeks didn’t have room for guys like Ray Edwards and Bryant McKinnie, or an addition like Merriweather. A head coach’s two greatest skills are 1) evaluation of personnel, and 2) creation of a culture. It’s interesting to see Denzel working on both of these things as he puts his roster together. From what I see, so far… so good.
    4. His assistant coaches have a say in the operations of the team. The numerous sets of new eyes were apparently given some meaningful say in the final cuts. A good head coach knows that these guys need to have a say in who plays on their units if they are to feel valued and committed to the cause.

I am by no means giddy about the prospects of the 2011 Vikings, there are certainly reasons for concern. But all indications are we will have a team that will play hard and smart, and when that happens, you have a chance. And when the year ends, I think there will also be optimism about the future, which has not been in place since the middle of last season.

• Purple Charlie says:

Coach,
      Always a pleasure to read your posts, Very informative !

• VSU BlazerLady says:

Well said. Sounds like the same approach that Tony Dungy took with his teams.

Guys, if you every get a chance to read any of Coach Dungy’s books, they are super, especially the last one, Mentor Leader.

A team that plays together with one common goal is a team that will be successful. It may be old hat, but the saying about the word team doesn’t have an “I” in it, is still true!

Wow Coach is on his game tonight, cant wait for his first post. Keep em coming Coach I love your perspective.

16. bisatc says:

Damn straight coach.
    looks like CB Cord Parks, LB Ross Homan, WR Stephen Burton, and OT Thomas Welch have been invited to join the practice squad if they make it through waivers.

also, rumors about C. King.

I watched the preseason fairly close, and I have to agree that all these players looked decent.

17. Stonginator says:

Stated as well as it could be stated coach.
    This as young a team as we have had in a while. They will take some lumps, and also provide a lot of exciting football for us this year.
    Looking forward to the season.

18. vikingrob22 says:

I hate the suspence-vikings staff delaying practice squad list to sort through wavers to find a star—THEY NEED A PLAYMAKER SAFETY…who might it be???It’s a tough job holding on to players to be released later and playing this 53 man roster-8 man practice B/S…

19. titan concrete says:

I have full faith in Denzels decisions. I understand a couple of these players stood out, but they stood out when they were playing against mainly 3rd stringers. I am soooo tired of keeping players that look like they have “potential”, especially the receivers and o-line. Most of the potential players have ended up giving up sacks or not making the catch when it was needed. I do understand that not all players are going to be stars, but I dont think they should need 2-3 years to prove themselves. I remember when Cheech had potential. I will take a 4th string receiver with proven hands like Camarillo over JJ any day.