Starting SS and Back Up QB

Leslie Frazier has named Jamarca Sanford the Vikings starting strong safety week 1 against the Chargers. Vikings will rotate Sanford and Tyrell Johnson when needed.

Frazier also named Christian Ponder the back up QB, while Webb will get on the field in special packages that utilize his skill set.

12 Responses to “Starting SS and Back Up QB”

1. CalVkg says:

also, per CalVkg news association, “Joe Webb has hired personal trainer Mr. Matthew (Matt) Jhumping to assist in his skill set development.”

2. Ole says:

names that will not be missed this season

McKinnie
    favre
    Childress!
    T-Jack
    Madieu
    Tahi
    Ryan Cook
    Lito Shepard
    Hank Baskett

was kinda hopin’ I could have added Asher to this list, we’ll see ……

3. Vikadan11 says:

Thanks CalVkg for the info ~ Pondr as the #2 is how i thought it would work out ~ I would have been fine with Webb also ~ IMHO Webb’s talent is going to be used but I dont see him moving away from being a QB first ~ The Packades spoken about will be taking time away from his time at QB but if something happens to MNabb I see him moving right back ino the fight with Ponder to see who will take over ~

Sanford is another big deal IMHO ~ Can he or anyone other than me be as bad as Johnson ~ LOL ~ I’m hoping with Greenway now sign they can find someone to rep;ace Johnson altogether ~

4. VSU BlazerLady says:

I would have thought Webb would be #2 from what I saw a couple of weeks ago. Didn’t get to see the last preseason game….Ponder must have come on strong.

5. briano29 says:

1500ESPNJudd Judd Zulgad
    TE Allen Reisner cleared waivers and has been added to the Vikings practice squad.
    1 hour ago

6. Pinwheel26 says:

#2 is a consolation prize. As long as McNabb is on the field, Ponder won’t see the field, but Webb will be all over it. And I agree with Vikadan, he’ll be right back in the mix if McNabb goes down, but I don’t think he will. I like them both,though, Ponder and Webb. Ponder really looks like Fran Tarkenton out there. Kind of smaller, decisive and quick and getting the first down. Smart, with a sense of humor. I think the QB position looks pretty healthy. Also, I think Arashmadilly and Jenkins will more than replace Cindy Rice in yards and clutch plays with McNabb. Rice was always hurt. He was not THAT big of an impact player, like Harvin or Peterson and not worth the money and myopic Seattle will see, like with T jack. They will be sorely disappointed. I think McNabb could have a career year like Favre did with these guys. I think the big question is on defense. Will they leave the barn door wide open.

I do like the way Ponder has progressed. He looked terrible 3 weeks ago. Still needs to get the ball out faster. His reads are too slow, but that is normal for a rook.
    When on the run he seems to keep his eyes downfield for the most part. He did miss a couple opportunities to throw for big gains. What I did like was his escapability, I too saw things that were Fran like. (I am not in anyway sayin’ he is the next Tark) He did suprise me with his speed, and pocket awareness. Maybe he just got nervous and bolted. At least he didnt bump into his own linemen (TJack). I do like Webb, but Ponder stepped up. I can see why Denzel & Co gave him #2.

cart, I was thinking Rich Gannon as I watched him the other night. Actually throws a better ball on the run than when setting up in the pocket. There will never be another Francis, but there might be another Gannon.