Video: Has Any Team Been More Disappointing So Far Than the Vikings?

The Vikings have had three substantial leads in the first three weeks of the 2011 season, yet they still sit at the bottom of the NFC North at 0-3. Can Donovan McNabb and head coach Les Frazier help them turn it around?

10 Responses to “Video: Has Any Team Been More Disappointing So Far Than the Vikings?”

1. Dynalee10 says:

Im guessing NO on that one. frasier is in total denial and doesn’t man up for his failure to see what is obvious to even the blindest fan. Run AD as much as you can , when the other team starts dinking and dunking to the tight ends and backs put a safety in in place of EJ he just is brutal in coverage and always has been even before his leg, Donavan is a shell of his glory days and totally incapable of delivering a catchable ball past ten yards. These three things would have gotten wins in two of the three games I am positive.

2. krugjr says:

Posted by Mike Florio on September 26, 2011, 8:02 PM EDT

Getty ImagesThe Vikings built a 20-point lead against the Lions on Sunday. So with Adrian Peterson in position to churn up the clock and with a defense supposedly forces teams to move down the field in slow, time-consuming chunks, not even Brad Childress could screw that one up, right?

Somehow, the Vikings blew that 20-point halftime lead, seven days after blowing a 17-point halftime lead and 14 days after blowing a 10-point halftime lead.

The Vikings relied on Peterson only five times in the second half, and on a key fourth down play Adrian was a multi-millon-dollar decoy.

And Adrian isn’t happy about that. According to Jeremy Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Peterson’s father, Nelson, said that Adrian was frustrated by the manner in which he was used. Or wasn’t used.

“He thought that with a 20-0 lead, he was ready to lead them to a victory,” Nelson Peterson said. “He’s being a good sport about it, but he’s upset.”

Peterson has only 66 second-half yards this season. In the first half of three games, he has gained 230.

The Vikings seem committed to fixing a situation that possibly has gotten into the heads of the players, and the coaches.

“We don’t want, in a close ball game, for him to only carry the ball five times,” coach Leslie Frazier said, per Fowler. “I have to remind myself of this, even if Adrian gets stopped for negative gain or two yards because they’ve got so many people at the line of scrimmage, he’s such a great player that even against eight-man fronts he can still make something happen. You can’t ever forget that.”

If the Vikings don’t figure out how to hold the leads that they’ve been building, they can forget about their chances in 2011.

Krug says:I’m with Dynalee…..this coachin staff appears in over their heads…think about it, after game 1 loss (ooooops, we better open it up a little more and throw more downfield)…after game 2 loss (ooooops, we better get Harvin more involved)…after game 3 loss (ooooops, we better get more runs for AD in the 2nd half)…..is it just me or is this bordering on insanity…three losses in a row where the fans and the sports writers immediately say “what the hell was that?” then frazier says “yeah, we shouldn’t have done that, we should’ve done this, so that’s what we’re gonna do next week”…..

question of the week: has any rookie head coach in the NFL ever “lost his team” (know what I mean?) mid way through season? as long as we’re setting records, might as well set that one too…..I see a lot of talent and I saw a lot of good effort in game 3, but just like the childress era, I don’t see leadership from the sidelines!

PS…has anyone seen or heard from the wilfs during this most recent franchise meltdown? they must be so proud of spielman and frazier…

• Viking Gab says:

Nice article, Krugs

• CalVkg says:

— question of the week: has any rookie head coach in the NFL ever “lost his team” (know what I mean?) mid way through season? —

and the answer is…

even worse, les steckel lost his team (our vikings) in training camp when he just grinded them and the players began questioning his leadership then

btw, the vikings can already forget their chances in 2011

… and if they win their next two games, which I predict, then what will we say?

I am as frustrated as anyone by these results, but the fact that we are a few plays from being 3-0 is still very encouraging to me. The “fix” to what has happened is not as simple as some are suggesting, and a panic reaction would be the absolute wrong direction to take right now. This is known as adversity, let them deal with it.

I don’t mind one bit saying “These coaches are NOT in over their heads.” Regardless of what fans think or reporters write, the players know these losses are on them. Frazier isn’t close to losing this team, and any comparison to the Les Steckel year is completely inaccurate. Night and day.

• CalVkg says:

coach, frazier and steckel are like night and day. frazier hasn’t lost this team, but the comparison might very well be this season’s W-L record. sadly, we already have an historically poor start with these second halves this year, and going 10-3 to have a shot at the playoffs won’t happen. we need to rebuild, all teams go through it and it’s just the way it is

All very true, Cal, and there is nothing wrong with a player wanting the ball more, veterans frustrated at losing, etc. I just wish the fans would understand… I guarantee that no one is more upset with those three losses than Leslie Frazier, and no one is more motivated to do something about it than him. Even so, the players have to play. A penalty, a dropped INT, a missed open receiver, these things are on the players, and because Leslie has a good team on the field, those are the reasons for the losses against three pretty good teams. Bill Bellicek didn’t go stupid last week when his Pats blew a 21 point lead. Players played poorly and they lost.

My message is to get off Frazier’s back, and let the man do his work. Any fan or sportswriter offering the so-called solution is offering nothing more than hindsight. No one knows that giving the ball to Peterson 10 more times would have won the game. NO ONE knows that. I can pick one play in each loss that should have been made and would have won the game. That’s not the coach needing to be fired. The lack of patience and perspective on the part of fans and parents in today’s sporting world is absolutely astounding.

I know I will get attacked for this rant, but it won’t change my perspective, cause I have been there.

4. David says:

I love coach Frazier, but a major part of this 3rd meltdown is on him. In reference to going for it on 4th down: One of the cardinal rules of successful coaching is TAKE THE POINTS! Don’t let the emotion of the situation, over rule the smart call. What would Bud Grant do? What would someone like Joe Gibbs Tom Landry, or Tony Dungy (super bowl winners) do? TAKE THE POINTS! Vikings blew a valiant effort by the defense down the stretch — holding Detroit to 2 field goals. And a great effort by the offense to get the final field goal in regulation to tie the game. But that last field goal of regulation should have been for the 26-23 win! Vikings are a talented football team let’s hope they can learn from all these mistakes.

I have a hard time givin’ up Cal. It looks hopeless, I know. Coach, as close as these losses have been one play could have made the difference in each. But fault lies with players AND coaches. Lets not just pin this on the players.
    I agree, lets not panic. (Its a good thing I didnt post Sunday evening) Its easy to be critical, to say “if we’d kicked the FG we win.” I have said that. But I know if we make it, it was a great call.
    But something is just not right here.
    Something stinks. I dont know what it is. The obvious, to me, is the play calling and not playing to your strengths. At least on offense. And sometimes the obvious thing is the right thing. You can outsmart yourself if youre not careful. I know this, I was telling my son “we need to stick to the run, we’ve got the lead.” I dont care that its 2nd & 11, we have a good lead, we have AP. I know you dont wanna go into a shell, but for jeffs sake.

By the way, I dont blame Frazier too much for going for it, with AP waving the FG unit off. You wanna trust your guys. But I was sayin’ “kick it.”

Les gets another week.

If this keeps up tho, lets make a mental note:
    Dont hire a head coach if his name starts with Les. Just sayin’.

6. I like the helpful information you supply in your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and test again right here regularly. I am quite sure I’ll learn a lot of new stuff proper here! Good luck for the following!