Dan Wiederer of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier sees a mixed bag with his team, an 0-4 squad Frazier feels is “on the verge of getting things turned” but which needs to clean up its effort in several key areas to do so. Yet, while Frazier said Monday afternoon at his press conference that he was considering some personnel changes, no shake-up was on the itinerary at quarterback where Donovan McNabb will be the starter Sunday at Mall of America Field against Arizona.

Said Frazier: “Based on these four games we’ve had this season, we’re not at a point where we’re making a quarterback change. There are a lot of things that we need to correct on our football team based on the fact that we’re 0-4. But at this point, a quarterback change isn’t one of those changes.”

“If you look at Donovan’s performance on Sunday, there was much more consistency in some of his throws,” Frazier said. “Plus, he hit that play with Devin. That was a big play for us, something we’ve been hoping to do from the beginning of the season. We finally got one and hope to see more of that to come.”

22 Responses to “Vikings coach Frazier on QB McNabb: “not at a point where we’re making a QB change””

1. Tomb... says:

“If you look at Donovan’s performance on Sunday, there was much more consistency in some of his throws,” Frazier said. “Plus, he hit that play with Devin. That was a big play for us, something we’ve been hoping to do from the beginning of the season.

Wow. We’re at the point where we are celebrating one deep pass in 4 games.

Tell you what Frazier, you’re going to see some consistency in my disdain to this year’s approach to Vikings football. Sure, it’s part of my nature, but man you’re killin’ me.

RUSS, you strange little Bears fan who’s ass I jumped for predicting 5 wins (you overestimated), you need to change the poll to McScabb, Ponder, OR WEBB.

Because I want to vote Webb. If you don’t change it, that’s OK. I’m accustomed to disappointment.

• Lost Viking says:

Coach has announced Donovan McNabb is starting Sunday.

Who do I think they should start at QB? Ah, how about the same guy that the Coach is starting. Pretty straightforward.

And, no, I’m would not be interested in sitting down to watch Bernard Berrian running around in space. At least I wouldn’t be any more open than Bernard has been.

• Dynalee10 says:

I know it sounds likes he’s talking about a rookie not a vet, pathetic and I am really questioning whether he was a good choice as head coach. I see much of the same traits in Frasier that drove me nuts about Cilly. I just don’t think he will admit he is wrong about his buddy McNabb the same way Chilldress would never admit he was wrong about TJ. I just wonder what will happen if we lose this Sunday against the Cards and then we have to play some good teams that I doubt we can compete with. Frasier will have to earn his stripes for sure.

• SanDiegoViking says:

I agree with your statement Dynalee. I was not impressed with the way Frazier talked about Donovan.

Enough about the QB’s, can we get a Robison article on here? He is tearing it up!

-SDV

• SanDiegoViking says:

I want to clarify that the ONLY part of your statement I agree with was:

“I know it sounds likes he’s talking about a rookie not a vet, pathetic”

-SDV

2. krugjr says:

“We really have to do a good job of supporting one another. If we do that, our quarterback play will improve.”

another frazier quote from same presser….I’m with you, Tomb, I can hardly believe he’s saying these things…..yeah, he’s our starter, our hope, our future…man did you see that one pass……and the idea that being nice to McFlabb, don’t be mad at him, support him and his play will improve????????? Zygi, you hired this guy without any other interviews???????? spielman is a lot like chilly, he will never be a GM in the NFL after this gig…write it down…..

3. krugjr says:

2 or 3 weeks late, but after this week’s loss, mcnabb will come up with an injury that will put him on the “questionable” list going forward…..frazier’s already on the list!

4. Gary says:

Well, I hate to say this………..Go Cardinals…..If thats what it takes to get rid of Frazier………Wilf, if you see this, take control of your team, you are going to lose money……

5. JWebb says:

Start Joe Webb! Why don’t you put me in the poll?

6. Tomb... says:

Where the hell is Coach Bud by the way?

Someone needs to keep us irresponsible speculators/opiners/retarders in line. I never mentioned to OL for a reason, I thought he’d cover it for us.

I’ll give him some bait, and see if he bites.

Coach: Loadholt, does he just not get it? Just not have the feet for pass protection? Criminy he seems like he’s getting worse instead of better.

Yeah Tomb very strange Coach isnt around, hope he’s not on suicide watch or overdosed on blood pressure meds, he does have grandkids afterall. I’m guessing he’s not happy with all the Denzel bashing going on but I’m also guessing that most of that is McDipshit bashing more than Denzel.

I don’t think Coach is any happier than we are about our situation…
    He probably decided to just keep it inside.

If it helps – remember what Coach and Spielman have invested in these QBs:

McNabb = 6th rounder and $ 1/2 million per for next 12 weeks (mostly guaranteed).
    Webb = 5th rounder and $ 40,000 week (not guaranteed).
    Ponder = 1st round and $ 2.5 million per year=52 weeks.

Cost of being supportive for next few weeks = next to nothing. Still, #5 jersey sales can’t be doing well….

9. VSU Blazerlady says:

Good grief…..every COLLEGE coach knows that if your 1st string quarteback is not producing, you take’em out and let them sit on the bench for a series or quarter to get their attention. The message? “You can be replaced.”

10. 4eversteve says:

Please give your offensive linemen some agility drills this week so maybe their feet don’t look like they are stuck in concrete, if they would only stop reaching as their man goes around them. Loadholt had a extremely poor showing, the guy got beat like a rented mule all day. Move your dam feet and just maybe you will find it easier to stay on your blocking assignment.

11. Leslie Frazier says:

Alright guys, come on.

I sat down with Donovan and he promised me that if we support him and show him the love, he’ll do well. That’s a promise, guys.

Adrian who? I don’t know who you’re talking about. Run the ball? Are you kidding? We’ve got Donovan McNabb and Bernard Berrian! Why run the ball with a passing attack like that?

• bisatc says:

Now that is some good stuff……

Coach, I need some words o’ wisdom.

Always piss downwind.

• bisatc says:

Indeed. Please don’t hold thy tongue coach….i still believe, your silence makes me doubt. We have talent and we are underachieving. True and sad. How does one fix such a situation? More wisdom bitte.

The fact is, bis, not ONE of us on this blog, not one member of the media, not one season ticket holder, knows the answer to this situation. One thing you DON’T do is take a guy, either the coach or the QB, down after four games, especially when they have all been within an eyelash of a win.

In 1984, Coach Steckel’s Vikings lost their final 6 games by a total of 164 points. Yes, that’s the right number… an average of over 27 points per game. He had lost the team and he had to go. Leslie has not lost this team at all, and they remain very competitive. I know full well that the bottom line is wins, and so does Leslie. Even so, the only thing you can do is go into each and every game doing everything you can to win the game. Any team who would even think about firing a coach after 4 games, especially games like these, or benching a starting QB and essentially throwing in the towel, is not worth following.

I know that isn’t a popular perspective on this blog or across the Viking nation, but the bottom line is the only thing to do right now is persevere. If we go to 0-8, and start to lose by 20 points a game, a re-evaluation would be needed, but not now. The ONLY logical choice at this stage is to stay the course.

12. youtube says:

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the long run and it is time to be happy. I have learn this put up and if I may just I wish to suggest you some interesting issues or suggestions. Maybe you could write subsequent articles regarding this article. I desire to read more issues about it!