Finding the Vikings a Win

In this series, I will find wins for the 0-4 teams. Other teams: Colts.

Minnesota’s tortured fans are in the midst of a Brewers‘ potential World Series run, a Badgers team far better than that of the Gophers, and a Packers team headed for a second straight Super Bowl appearance (where they shall be destroyed by the Ravens). The Vikings front office took the most pro-ready quarterback in the draft yet wound up starting a journeyman who has led the Vikings to 10 point collapses in three of their first four games, all losses.

What they should do: They need to start Christian Ponder. Getting a win is important right now, because they want to build a stadium and still make a run at a Wild Card.  Ponder will give them more big plays and more 3rd-down options as he is very stealthy outside the pocket.

For the draft: If there’s a way to get a second 2nd-rounder, they should take S, OL, CB in some order at the start of their draft. Chris Hope and Laron Landry should be looked at in free agency because they’ve only had six INTs from all their safeties since 2009.

Prediction: With their schedule, they need to be concerned about winning at least 1 game. As long as #5 is quarterbacking, I see only 5 wins – @ CAR 10/30, vs. OAK 11/20, vs. DEN 12/4, @ DET 12/11, vs. CHI 1/1 – and a #4 overall pick in next year’s draft.

Follow me at: http://twitter.com/Chris_M_Bach

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

12 Responses to “Finding the Vikings a Win”

1. Zag says:

Wait… You actually think we’re going to beat Oakland? And Detroit? And Chicago?

I could see us maybe beating Carolina (provided Cam doesn’t throw for 400 on us), and Denver because they’re such a mess.

But Oakland will be a challenge, Detroit will be a slaughter, and Chicago… damn I hate Chicago, but they’ll beat us too.

2. TexVike55 says:

Chris is a bit kind. I see the Vikes beating perhaps Denver, everything else a toss-up.

It’s the old Vikings motto: ‘The Vikings will win games they’re supposed to lose, and lose games they’re supposed to win, but they never win games they’re supposed to win.’

A bit unkind I know, but I’ve watched them for over 40 years, and I should know.

3. Stonginator says:

Wow,
    No truer words have ever been spoken about our beloved VIKINGS.
    They have broken my heart for pretty much that same length of time,
    yet. I still watch ( & HOPE ) every week-year-decade . . .Ahh, I think I need to get out some tapes of the 70’s . . .

4. hookem says:

the answer to their first win is in numbers 12 and 28

5. Wayup North says:

Remember a few years back when Tennessee started like 0-6 or 0-7 and everyone wrote them off? Fisher turned that team around and they went on to win the Super Bowl (OK, not really, but they did turn their season around and almost got into the playoffs).

I wouldn’t start Ponder yet – I keep thinking of Carr back in Houston when they threw him out there as a rookie without a decent O-line. They learn to just get rid of the ball as quick as you can and then things go downhill from there – it might be more entertaining to watch but I think in the long run it would be a huge mistake. If they do bench McNabb, I’d rather they went with Webb this year than Ponder just to protect the investment plus he can do more with his feet (kind of like the old McNabb).

I don’t buy the win or no stadium logic either – anyone that votes down any of that doesn’t give a rat’s buttock about the Vikings.

• Chris Bach says:

Christian Ponder played through an elbow injury last year, is more mobile than David Carr and the line is…OK, the line isn’t safely better.

Christian Ponder is ready to lead this team and has the enthusiasm and work ethic necessary. I can’t prove it empirically but he has to be better than McNabb. Same with Webb.

6. Gary says:

Now this is the funniest article I have read since #5 joined the team. With #5, aka McMiss, we will be lucky to get 1 win this year. I may be wrong and I keep looking at the schedule, but no more than 2-14 season with McMiss. I wonder if they will refund me for the sunday ticket I was so excited about getting this year!

Gary,
    Your right, they aren’t going the light up the world, Not for nothing you got the ticket,Just go to a different game, has to be some team you like, Maybe not like the Vikings but some team…

Just enjoy the football season as a whole, after the 2009 season I decided it wasn’t worth being bummed for the rest of the night and a day over the game…

I still bleed Purple and Gold,
    Maybe McMiss will be out soon

8. CalVkg says:

c’mon now, the lynx just won the wnba championship
    that counts for sumpthin’, don’t it? at least a mention at the next girl scout meeting, right?

i don’t know where the optimism ever came from, other than the delusion drawer. before the season started i was pretty pessimistic and it’s not very surprising that our vikings are this bad, but i thought we could be better than this. the way we’re playing now, 3 wins, max, looks like about it
    and we prolly won’t be very good next year either

miami is making a better effort than we are right now in Suck For Luck. we need a few guys to get put on IR to help assure ourselves a respectable chance of getting that 1st overall pick

9. Bummed since 1970 says:

You’re high if you think the Vikes can win in Detroit. Or against a resurgent Raiders team…..or Chicago. So, I see maybe 2 wins total, and a high draft choice, that given their history they might just screw up. But if they are smart, they’ll grab the best OL available to help protect last year’s #1 choice (Ponder) and begin building piece by piece. Enough already with the scrap-heap qbs they keep running out there.
    Good luck – still have a soft spot in my heart for them, but running out of patience.

10. Bummed since 1970 says:

By the way …. I have to say that the Lions defense I just watched MAUL the Bears on MNF reminded me a lot of how DOMINANT the ‘ol Page-Eller-Marshall-Larsen team was.
    They were fun to watch.
    Even as the offense sputtered (as they did a lot), the defense had a better chance of scoring – and often did.