Visanthe Shiancoe against the Cards

A long season finally got a little better Sunday as Adrian Peterson powered in for three first-quarter touchdowns to build a huge lead as the Vikings beat up the Arizona Cardinals for a 34-10 win.

“It felt good just to get a ‘W’ first and foremost and get out of this slump. It was a good test for us, and we did what we’ve been preaching,” said Peterson, who rushed 29 times for 122 yards.

Donovan McNabb ran in for a score, too, and the Vikings (1-4) went ahead 28-0 less than 12 and a half minutes into the game. Kevin Kolb had three turnovers for the Cardinals (1-4) and finished 21 for 42 for 232 yards and one touchdown pass, a performance so shaky the Vikings were able to confidently run down the clock after some ugly offense of their own during the second and third quarters.

“There isn’t a magic wand that we can wave, and all of a sudden it will get better. But we are going to keep plugging at it, and we will get better,” Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin said.

From McNabb’s bounced passes to Kolb’s errant throws, neither former Philadelphia quarterback played well. McNabb’s final numbers against what had been a leaky Arizona secondary were 10 completions, 21 attempts, 169 yards and a bunch of boos.

“I don’t worry about it all, because at the end of the day you look up and you see a win,” McNabb said. “We’re excited about it.”

The Vikings started three straight first-quarter drives at the Arizona 18, 24 and 25, stretching their lead so large so quickly the fans stopped chanting for rookie Christian Ponder. McNabb and the Vikings were still jeered off the field at the half with a 28-3 advantage after a sack prompted a run-out-the-clock order from coach Leslie Frazier.

Frazier said he remains confident in McNabb as the starter. With a wide, sly smile, the coach insisted he was unaware of the boos.

“Never heard it. All I heard were cheers. It was a great day for the Vikings,” Frazier said.

Added linebacker Chad Greenway: “You never want to get booed by your own fans, but you expect it when you’re 0-4 that they’re going to tell you how they feel.”

McNabb has at least avoided those costly turnovers, unlike Kolb, who has six interceptions and three lost fumbles in five games.

“It’s not one person making a lot of mistakes. It’s all of us making one or two mistakes. That’s where details come in,” Kolb said. “You’re never going to find non-belief in this locker room. We felt like we had a chance the whole time.”

The Cardinals had six possessions in the first quarter, only once crossing their own 30. Kolb’s batted pass was intercepted by Asher Allen, and Brian Robison knocked the ball out of Kolb’s hand on a speed rush to end another series before it started.

“Our guys have got to grow up and start making those plays,” Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said.

The Vikings lost their first four games by a combined 19 points, including two devastating defeats here last month when Tampa Bay (17-0) and Detroit (20-0) came back from big halftime deficits.

The Cardinals could’ve easily finished the first quarter of the season undefeated, too, losing by a total of eight points to Washington, Seattle and the New York Giants. In the modern NFL, however, it’s usually those seemingly innocent inconsistencies and the inability to finish games strong that suggest real problems.

The Vikings gave the Cardinals their chance to get back in this one, too, when a fumble lost by Michael Jenkins on the first drive of the third quarter gave them the ball near midfield.

Kolb was under heavy pressure on the next drive, but he finally found Larry Fitzgerald for a critical back-shoulder completion near the goal line, and Beanie Wells rumbled in on the next play to cut the lead to 28-10. An eerie silence came over the crowd, as if everyone in the stadium started to dread another collapse.

But on the ensuing possession, McNabb found Devin Aromashodu, who took over Bernard Berrian’s role as the deep-route wide receiver, on a crossing pattern that netted 60 yards. That drive at least ate up some time and ended with a 26-yard field goal by Ryan Longwell, the first score by the Vikings in more than 29 minutes.

Wells was tripped up on fourth-and-1 on Arizona’s next drive at his own 47 by Allen — playing for absent stalwart Antoine Winfield, out with a neck injury — and the Vikings took over in Cardinals territory.

Right tackle Jeremy Bridges, who had a rough afternoon, was flagged for illegal hands to the face that wiped out what would’ve been a touchdown pass by Kolb to Early Doucet on the Cardinals’ next possession, and they went on to turn the ball over on downs.

“We stood up at the end. We did what we had to do to win the game and finally put together a complete game,” Robison said.

21 Responses to “Peterson Scores Three First Quarter TD’s; Powers Vikings to 34-10 Win Over Cardinals”

1. CalVkg says:

nice to get a win, huh?

too bad McShizzle couldn’t do better
    we didn’t get a TD after the 1st qtr., no points in the 2nd qtr., and we were outscored in the 2nd half

burned berrian sat and so should McSnapper. don’t care if webb or ponder is QB, or the equipment mgr. for that matter. when you’re skippin short 7-yd. passes in the flat by 4 yards, anybody’s gotta be a better choice than McDongle. he’s just playin out his career

try and remember how this win feels, cuz we may not feel this way again this season very often

2. Vikadan11 says:

Nice win today ~ It’s just a shame the QB didn’t have anything to do with it ~ I can blame Frazier for not wanting to throw Ponder to the wolfs ~ But I do blame him for going after McNabb ~ There were better FA out there ~ I didn’t like the signing from the get~go but I never thought he would play this badly myself ~

• Lost Viking says:

Let’s remember what Viking & Wilfs have invested in McNabb.

A 6th round draft choice and $ 5 million isn’t nuthin’ but its a lot less than Cardinal have in Kolb.
      A lot less than almost any team has invested in a starting QB. And its not like we’ve surrounded McNabb with pro-bowl receiver prospects.

McNabb’s got a few more games before most people expect Webb or Ponder to take over. And Vike could decide to keep him as a backup/reserve. All with little or no drama.

• bleeding purple says:

wat are u talking bout the cardinals dont have that much in kolb? The traded their 2012 first round pick and CB cromartie to get him sounds like a hell of alot more

• Nume says:

That’s what he was saying. He said the Vikings haven’t invested nearly as much in McNabb as the Cards did in Kolb or any other team invested in a starting QB.

3. krugjr says:

frazier and mcnabb…..the perfect combo for keeping us in the race for the #1 pick…..and that’s all I have to say about that…

• Skol12 says:

Indy will give us a run… They are like the vikings they cant close on close games. They could have won the past 3 weeks easily they were in it til the very end but managed to F it up. Kinda gotta wonder are they really trying to Suck For Luck? They are going toe to toe with good teams, blowing huge leads and they have no play for QB after 2013.
      St. Louie and Miami will get atleast 4 wins each with easy schedules remaining… Vikes will not get to 4, 3 is the best well do.

Vikings Vs. Colts 2012… Winner : Matt Kalil… Loser: Andrew Luck so I say GO COLTS!

4. Gary says:

28 points in the first 12 minutes, 6 in the last 45? Percy Harvin wide open for a TD and McMiss didnt see him, or…….he knew he would miss him……McMiss scored on a short run? Larry Flynt could have scored on that play with flat tires……McMiss threw a few more grass skippers, didnt surprise anyone….Nice to get the win, but McMiss still needs to go….Did anyone see McMiss try to block that 1 guy on a running play??? He reached his hand out like he wanted a hand shake…….McMiss had absolutly nothing to do with this win….

OK, Gary, we get it that you hate Donovan McNabb. Point made. Did you also want to point out that he didn’t stay to the right when he walked into the runway to the locker room?

• Gary says:

I dont hate McMiss, or anyone for that matter, but its clearly obvious he is no good. Apparently you didnt watch the game if you think he had anything to do with this win. If you would have watched it, and had either your volume turned up, and/or your hearing aid, its clearly obvious the fans dont feel he is right either. We need to enjoy this moment because with McMiss staying as our QB, this may be our only win this year, look at the schedule. Again, hate is an evil thing, poor choice of word…….

Yes, Gary, I watched the entire game. I believe I know enough about football to make the observation that in addition to the errors he made, he did a number of things that helped us win the game, including no turnovers. I’m not saying he’s playing up to expectations, because I don’t think he is. I’m just not sure the intense focus of wrath is justified. We each have our observations and conclusions from them, I guess. Fair enough.

• Gary says:

Fair enough! Yes, no turnovers is a good thing, but on the other note, he is playing up to the expectations, just as he did the last few years. 2-11 in last 13 games? He did a number of things to help win the game, but Fran T could have handed the ball to #28 sunday also. Hell, he could of even ran for the score #5 got also! Dont get me wrong, I like McMiss, but did you hear the crowd after the grass skippers? (and not just a couple, and 1 or 2 were 6 or 7 yards off) I have been a die hard Vikings fan for 35 plus years and now live 1700 miles away and still am. I wanna see a championship before my time is up! Do you think the real B Grant would have #5 starting in the game as it is played today?

• SanDiegoViking says:

You like McMiss? I never could have guessed.

My quarterback evaluation remains the same as last week. I would only be repeating what B. Grant said as my evidence. The only thing I have to add is Donovan did not make the mistake of forcing any passes (like Romo did against the Lions). For every under thrown pass there was a dropped pass (one HUGE one by Aromashodou) that one needs to take note of before crediting one player with absolute fault.

I say this as I did before, can we get some Robison love? This guy is tearing it up!

-SDV

• Gary says:

Yes SanDiegoViking, I like McMiss as a person. Never heard of him in trouble or being stupid. He is a good person….Enough said….Yes, Robinson deserves tons of love, as well JA. After watching da Bears last night, I feel a bit better about next week! Go Vikes!

“Do you think the real B Grant would have #5 starting in the game as it is played today?”

I can come within an eyelash of absolute certainty in saying that of the QB’s currently on the roster, I know he would be playing McNabb. Did you see Gary Cuozzo play the QB position?

• Gary says:

Well, I was only 7 then, But with a quick google on him,(http://www.mmbolding.com/BSR/pq71Cuozzo.htm), I dont see where your going with that! Let me guess, you were his coach? Did ya see Tebow take charge in the 2nd half sunday? Cam Newton, Colt McCoy…..Takes me back to the good old days watching Fran da man running around making plays happen……. I just feel a hungry QB gives us a better chance to win, but what do I know, Im just a starving hungry Vikings fan wanting to feel what its like to celebrate a championship….

First Gary, I feel your pain as a suffering Viking fan. If you were 7 when Cuozzo played, then I have suffered even longer.

My point is that Cuozzo was less skilled than DMac. Simply managed games, for the most part. He had his moments but the offense was extremely vanilla in his days. What he did however, was often play smart and avoid losing games, which is what we asked of him.

Yes, I know a youngster can come off the bench, throw caution to the wind and lead a team to victory. Tommy Kramer did it in amazing fashion one cool December Sunday in 1977. The 49ers still don’t know what hit them in that 28-27 loss. That could happen with Ponder at some point in the future. Just not sure the time is now, that’s all.

• Gary says:

Thanks coach, you have a good way with words…I have to keep telling mself every day its only a game…..I was first traumatized when i was 12 at Met Stadium and seen all the stuff flying on to the field after the infamous “Hail Mary” pass….That was the day my blood turned purple. I risked going to jail in 83 by jumping the fence after a concert at Met Center, I just wanted to go sit on that same grass. I remember it like it was yesterday. I know a young man on the team this year and want to see him be on a winning team, which is maybe why this year is most difficult for me…… Its only a game…

• Gary says:

And as far as staying to the right walking to the locker room, I almost have to believe Les #2 either carried him, or had a golf cart give him a ride while someone gave him a foot massage….

5. Zag says:

It was a pleasure to watch Peterson this game.

But I was much more pumped about our defense, especially Allen and Robison.

Allen is on track for an absolutely MONSTER year. 8.5 sacks already! Robison has proved the doubters -and Ray Edwards- wrong by picking up 4.5 already. When your old “backup” defensive end is on track for 14 sacks, you’re doing alright.

We’re tied for 2nd in the league with 16 total sacks. Is a new generation of Purple People Eaters making a return to glory?

6. Vikadan11 says:

The biggest difference in the win Sunday and the other 4 loses is everyone seem to be in game shape ~ KW looked much better this week than last week also ~ No one seem tired in the 4th ~ Plus there were not many missed tackles and that IMHO was the biggest difference ~

A lot of good thing come out of this win ~ And as J. Allen said the offense has been avg. more than 20 points a game and that should be enough for them to win with ~

Link to Allen talking with Jay Glazer