Does Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier want Donovan McNabb benched?

Sure sounds like he’s hinting towards the notion.

Although McNabb only has two interceptions this year, his coach would like him to be more agressive in his passing game according to Mark Craig of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

“He’s done a great job of not turning the ball over, which is a big deal because of the way we play,” Frazier said Wednesday. “It’s one of the reasons we’ve been in these games the way we have.”

“But you can’t play this game cautious. He knows that. He’s had a ton of success in this league. Sometimes, you just got to let it go. And he will, and he has.”

Frazier talked about one play in particular. Tight end Visanthe Shiancoe stumbled after being jammed at the line of scrimmage. Rather than let the ball go, trusting that Shiancoe would get to his spot, McNabb tried to pull it back but ended up short-hopping the pass on a play that could have resulted in a big gain.

“[McNabb] wasn’t quite sure [Shiancoe] was going to get his head around fast enough,” Frazier said. “It wasn’t the kind of throw [McNabb] wanted to make.”

How long will Vikings faithful have to wait for the “Christian Ponder Era” to begin in Minnesota?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

14 Responses to “Vikings coach Leslie Fraizer on QB Donovan McNabb: “You can’t play this game cautious””

1. Dynalee10 says:

Frazier is in denial it’s not that McNabb is too cautious it’s that he simply has lost his ability to throw an accurate ball with any degree of consistency. I liked the Frazier hiring but I have to admit some of his decisions are making me question that . The biggest examples are his handling of Berrian and McNabb and also Johnson at safety. Last year all Frazier talked about was finding our Matty Ryann well he drafted Ponder to be that guy and then he brings in another washed up vet just like the Vikings have repeated the past twenty years ” the Daunte years” the one exception. If we lose the next few games I want Ponder playing we need to see what the kid has.

• JWebb says:

Joe Webb should start! How’s Cam Newton doing as a running quarterback?
      You’re tired of NFC championship games with Cunningham and Favre? Culpepper,who was who I thought he was, was a guy who loses the game in the 2nd half. Nobody wanted him after Moss and Vikings. Ponder hasn’t proven that he’s even as bad as Brady Quinn, but Webb has shown he can play to win. You’re like Judd Zulgadd. It seems, if not racist, then a prejudice against Webb. Why? He’s a better prospect. Look at Cam Newton.

2. Stong says:

Start Ponder Sunday! We could win this game with a moble QB, which McNabb isn’t. I have been against starting Ponder until this point.
    But He can’t get it done anymore and A.P. will end up getting hurt behind this line if we don’t start Ponder NOW.

3. Fisher says:

Joe Webb has a full season’s experience on Ponder, has started games (and finished them) against playoff teams still in the hunt (and has done rather well), and is a better and more explosive athlete than Ponder.

Start Joe Webb and continue to groom Ponder underneath him. If Webb totally flounders, give Ponder his shot and experience. Use both of them after that (or even late in games), but Webb deserves the starting role over Ponder and McNabb definitely needs to be benched. The season is still (very remotely) salvageable (gulp), but Webb is (at this point) what I consider the best QB on the team.

• Fisher says:

McNabb having even ever been brought in was an (at this point) obvious mistake, but hindsight is the only thing that makes it really obvious. I can imagine a poor performance from McNabb this week (win or lose, though losing is always worse) could see him benched next week (or even mid-game, depending).

• JWebb says:

You’re EXACTLY right! Start Joe Webb! Start Joe Webb!

4. Gary says:

We cant afford another loss. If McMiss starts, and shows us that his “mechanics” still need improvement, he should be benched after the 1st miss. He is risking the health of our defense by failing to keep the offense rolling. I’m not sure why, but I still think we can turn things around this year, but McMiss has to be benched after his 1st miss..

Benched after your first incomplete pass? I must admit I’ve not seen that in my many years in football. That means he would have to go something like 23 of 23 to finish the game. I agree that Donovan’s leash is getting increasingly short, Gary, but I’m not sure its quite THAT short.

I do agree, though, that a mid-game change is not out of the question at this stage. And I also agree that it is not totally clear if his replacement would be Webb or Ponder. That will be an interesting decision. All I know is I really want us to beat these Bears!

• Gary says:

OK, to be fair, lets use the baseball rule sunday…..3 strikes and your out! I still believe we can turn things around, that is with all kinds of help from the AFC..and bad teams in the NFC…We just cannot afford to work on “Mechanics” any longer..If we are going to work on mechanics, lets do it with Webb or Ponder, or both. Go Vikes, Rams, Philly, Cam Newton, and Buffulo, just to start with! Got 3 tvs set up in the living room, and got my Micheal Jackson moon walk down to a pat! Damn I love this game!

Ok, Gary, OK. Take a deep breath… and another… now slowly back away from your keyboard… that’s it… slowly… slowly. Now, put away all the sports magazines (yes, even the SI Swimsuit edition) and turn off any ESPN channels that might be running in the background. Next, focus on consuming some sort of beverage that is not alcoholic-based (don’t rule out water as a possibility) and some sort of food product that does not come from a bag or pizza box. Think of things like apples, soup, a sandwich, etc. (If you have to go to the grocery store at this point, do it.) Now, sit down and relax in any piece of furniture that is not currently facing the television or computer. Look hard, there must be one somewhere. Finally, turn on a public radio station and close your eyes. You should feel better in no time.

You’re welcome. We bloggers are here for each other.

• Gary says:

I appeciate that coach, but I have tried everything….except skydiving…Hmmmm…Anyone got an airplane?

• Purple Faithful says:

Was your chute packed by the coaching staff at halftime? might want to re-think that one.

5. Gary says:

Purple Faithful, might want to change your name! Have Faith! I really cant see our coaching staff not make changes during this game if we fall apart early…..They have more to lose than we do…..As crazy as it sounds, Vikes are going to make a run for the playoffs starting sunday night!Have faith!

6. Wonderful goods from you, man. I have have in mind your stuff prior to and you are just extremely fantastic. I really like what you have received here, certainly like what you’re saying and the way during which you are saying it. You make it entertaining and you continue to care for to keep it sensible. I can not wait to read much more from you. That is actually a great web site.