Vikings DT Williams to coach Frazier: “Call somebody out”

Vikings five-team All-Pro defensive tackle Kevin Williams took exception to head coach Leslie Frazier’s comments on Monday that the front four was “not nearly as physical” as the Bears during last week’s 39-10 humiliation at Soldier Field according to Jeremey Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

“If you want to call somebody out, call who you’re talking about out,” the six-time Pro Bowler said on Friday. “Don’t say the whole group got out-physicaled. I don’t believe that at all. I saw that on the news and I was like, ‘You show a play where two guys are double-teaming me, of course you’re going to get out-physicaled if you’re getting double-teamed on a run block. One guy’s trying to hold me up and the other guy’s trying to take a run at my side. If you want to call somebody out, you can do that. A couple of guys might have gotten pushed off the ball, but the whole group, no.”

A day following the Vikings defense surrendering 251 passing yards through three quarters and 377 total yards for the contest, Frazier called the club’s play in the trenches on both sides “unexplainable.” Offensively, quarterback Donovan McNabb was sacked on a season-high five (16 times on the season) occasions.

“That’s what we kind of pride ourselves on, our O-line and our D-line, particularly our defensive line really being the force to drive our defense,” said Frazier on Monday. “We were not the most physical group out there last night. And that’s a concern.”

Frazier’s comment also got the attention of NFL sack-leader (9.5) Jared Allen, who said Monday: “I take some offense to it. But it’s his job to motivate us, and I guess that’s his way of doing it.”

Can you blame Williams for being frustrated?

Look at his production this season: four games, five tackles, zero sacks.

Furthermore, his team is last in the NFC North at 1-5, already preparing for the future with Ponder.

12 Responses to “Vikings DT Williams to coach Frazier: “Call somebody out””

1. Wayup North says:

and, and . . . I MISS PAT!!!

Hey Kevin,

If you weren’t a damn cheater, you wouldn’t have let your team down and missed two games this year. You sure got out physicaled on those two games KEV. How’s that Kev….you just got called out!!!

Feel better Kev?

3. krugjr says:

amen,freds…..I saw something bad coming awhile back when kev said he was bummed about playing for “free”……(fined two games)….pissed me off…frazier hasn’t won me over yet, but when players start this crap, it’s like they’re saying….”trade me to a contender”, and I hate players like that….people can’t feed their kids and kev’s upset because he’s not a SB champ…..screw you and your attitude, kev…..let the REAL rebuilding begin and you can be our first trade for draft picks…

Frustration erupts in many different and ugly ways. Leslie’s frustrated. Williams is frustrated. Allen is frustrated. Freds is frustrated. Skol is frustrated. krug is frustrated. Could it be that the Packers will pay for this? Hope so.

• Gary says:

35-7, but I give the pack another 7 if Rodgers leaves his text messaging off in the 4th qtr. 35-14 Vikes with an easy win….

I’m all for a good dose of optimism, Gary, but did you know that we will be missing half of our already suspect defensive backfield? ‘Toine and Sanford likely out, which means that Asher Allen and Tyrell Johnson will be staring down Aaron Rodgers. AS a former DB, there is no way Leslie sleeps Saturday night with that thought in his mind. Christian needs to throw a lot of 7 yard passes and keep Rodgers on the sideline.

• Fisher says:

42-17 Packers

I want more than anything for the Vikings to dominate the “invincible” Packers in the Metrodome, but I can’t bring myself to think of that possibility as anything aside from wishful thinking and trash-talk fodder. Considering both teams’ strengths, weaknesses, tendencies, and the context of this game in their respective seasons, the Packers are a nightmare matchup for the Vikings at this specific point.

I want to see Ponder look good and stay healthy. I’d like to see him throw as many or more TDs as he does INTs and then stay completely healthy (even mentally, I don’t want a blowout loss and roughing-up to break him). That’d be a great first start under these circumstances. Peterson will rush for a TD (hopefully two), Ponder will throw for one TD, a few drives will stall, and the Packers will shred downfield amidst constant pressure whenever they get the ball. Despite that, I’m as excited as I’ve been all season (save for the 7-0 lead thirty seconds in to the Chargers game). I want to see Ponder under this kind of pressure. It is through the fire that iron is forged!

• Gary says:

LOL @ Fraze not sleepin saturday night, I got a feeling hes hasnt got much sleep the last 6 weeks….I do hope CP throws a lot of 7 yarders, thats how the Pac plays every game and it works for them…
          I hear ya on our back field, I hope they get lots of rest tonight too…We cant forget about the young man from southern Minn who has proven himself throughout the year. I know he is inexperienced, but his work ethic and drive could have an impact to, that is if he gets the chance. After a good nights rest, I have to change my prediction, Vikes win a nail biter, 24-21

• Gary says:

Walter Payton last week, Ed Sabol the other night, Mike Dikta next week, when do we see Bud Grant on Football Life?

• CalVkg says:

i’m afraid gary’s huffin the pam again

5. Ghetto Defendent says:

Another Sunday night looking at 2012 draft prospects on the internet.