Longwell’s field goal propels Vikings past Panthers; 24-21

Next: Bye Week – at Green Bay Packers, Monday November 14, 7:30 CT.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

24 Responses to “Longwell’s field goal propels Vikings past Panthers; 24-21”

Christian Ponder is an NFL quarterback. He’s still got a lot to learn, and he’ll have some bad days, but he has the tools and the head. Good pick, Leslie! No Donavan, you should not be the starter for the Minnesota Vikings.

• Skol12 says:

Come on Bud,

I like Christian but your being hypocritical here. You say give Frazier more time after 6 games, but say Ponder is here to stay after 2 games? Now hypocrisy aside Ponder has looked good so far, his arm strength looked better today than last week but his accuracy was a little worse. The kid will probably take us on more than 1 playoff run in his career which will be nice.

And you are spot on about Asher, he has been terrible for years, could we trade him to green bay so we can play him twice per year?

Nice (very ugly) Win today Vikes… 10-6!!!

• Gary says:

A few of those throws tells me they need to keep Nabb away from Ponder. His mentoring is not needed in Minny….He needs to be let go, he is going to poison Ponder…..Plese Frazier, keep Nabb away from our future!

Not hypocritical at all, Skol. Here’s why…

– a coach needs time to establish a culture, a system, and a roster. These kinds of things are not done in the short term. I won’t repeat my list of highly esteemed coaches who had horrible records their first year, including yours truly. Leslie has done nothing to indicate he won’t be a very good head coach unless you think that he should be judged on the outcome of his first six games.

– a QB also takes time to develop, and you’ll notice I didn’t give him Hall of Fame status just yet. I’m just saying that from now seeing him play in real games, he appears to have the physical and mental tools. For a rookie to have the kinds of performances he’s had in his first two games as a starter, you can draw the conclusion that he seems worthy of his pick. Obviously he needs more experience to become an elite QB, but the early indications are what encourage me.

So, you see, my position on both of them is quite consistent.

• Gary says:

Question for ya coach: With the NFC as horrible as they are, looking at the standings and remaining schedules for the NFC teams, am I correct that the Vikes are still in the run for a wildcard? (2.5 games behind) Can you clear this up for all who have written the Vikes off this year?

I look at this a little differently, Gary. Technically, you are correct. However, right now the focus has to be on getting that third win, and getting it as soon as possible. “Winning out” in the NFL is a rarity, and teams can lose their focus when they start thinking like that. I think it is good for the team and coach to feel good about each and every individual win. Confidence is a very important part of football, and the Vikes need to get theirs back.

The current situation is not about numbers, its about frame of mind. No one in the media, and few fans, will give the Vikings a chance in Green Bay next week. But yesterday tells the team, “We can win on the road. We can win on grass. And with Antoine presumably back, we can control the Packer offense to some degree like the second half yesterday.”

I gotta add this, Gary. I’m about winning and championships as much as anyone. But just because this may not be a playoff year does not mean that meaningful football won’t be played. I think every Viking knows that these are important games for a team either shooting at that last spot this year, or for preparing for next year. Hutchison was quoted as saying as much after the game yesterday. This team is still working very hard and they believe in Leslie’s approach. Nothing wrong with being a die-hard fan of a team in this position, especially one that is grooming a very promising QB prospect.

I have to admit, I feel better about the franchise than I have in quite some time, simply because we seem to have a long-term QB on our hands and a coach who has a long-term, high standards approach. I gotta believe the team will focus on the oline and the secondary over the next 9 months, and we’ll see what happens from there.

• Gary says:

Very well said coach, I follow every (NFC) team week to week..I study their schedules, watch their highlites, and follow their injuries. Its hard to believe, but I do, that we are still in it….As a fan, I can look ahead that far, as a player, 1 game at a time….I predict a strong run this second half, its going to be a nail biter but we have what it takes to win some big games coming up….Glad we dont have to play them Rams, and I hope Denver sticks with Tebow! Go Vikes!

• Gary says:

Now thats what I been saying for 7 weeks now coach! Glad ya caught up with me! đŸ™‚

Conversely, Asher Allen is not an NFL defensive back. Changes direction slowly, reacts slowly, takes bad angles. I’m afraid the step up from college to the pros is one too many for Asher.

3. Gary says:

Am I seeing correctly? We are only a couple games behind for the 2nd wildcard?

4. Donald Sutherland says:

this is just the beginning of our rally to 10-6!!! woohoo!…ok maybe more like 6-10

Its great to see the Vikes playing with what seems new enthusiasm.

We finally had some luck go our way. We are not going to the playoffs, but I would like to see us win 5 of our last 8 to get some hope and momentum for next year.

• Gary says:

I would have to say that the playoffs are out of the question but, anything can happen in the 2nd half of the season! We are only a couple/few games behind for a wildcard, as crazy as it sounds.. Hopefully Winfield will be ready to go after the bye, as well as the rest of the team to make a strong run….Its not over til the cheerleaders put their pom poms away!

• Gary says:

Hey! Quit using that Luck word, its irritating! đŸ™‚

6. CalVkg says:

even though carolina is a crap team, we got lucky and won an away game on grass, which is an accomplishment for us this year. this one will hurt in april, but the bigger picture is that we’re seeing ponder play well and the team responds to him, like, you know, they’re ponder’s responders (can’t believe i wrote that). we’re still not a good team, but we have hope, and that can maybe help us get a stadium deal sooner, and we’ll have a better idea for rebuilding this team for the future

it was good to see some emotion from frazier today

we are still full of holes and ought to consider looking at CB Leigh Bodden

7. lost viking says:

Some pretty scary stuff there, Cal.

Ponder’s responders – not bad at all. Concern is Ponder ‘locking on’ to receivers. Still tucks and runs too soon. Good use of play-action but not enough head fakes. Not surveying whole field. Too many rollouts but better pocket presence than last week.

Strange emotions at work when your watching Vike win and thinking of April draft. Wish the NFL would go to a lottery pick system similar to NHL. Important team win

8. krugjr says:

Coach…..I agree, we have ourselves a QB for years to come (no major injuries) and on to the OL and secondary…..his play on 3rd and long, after predictable 1st and 2nd downs, is pretty damn good…..lots to learn, but it’s coming quickly, and like you said, for the first time in over a decade Purple fans can feel good about the future…..we have ourselves a leader!

GO VIKES!!!!!

PS…..if the players in the dressing room start wearing their “PONDER’S RESPONDERS” tees, McNabb is going to feel a little out of place!