Peterson: “I Don’t Know How To Explain 10 Carries”

Running back Adrian Peterson admitted he wasn’t happy about getting only 10 carries in the Minnesota Vikings’ 42-20 loss Sunday to the New Orleans Saints at the Metrodome, according to Judd Zulgad of 1500ESPN.

Peterson had missed the previous three games because of a high left ankle sprain, and the fact that the Vikings fell behind by 15 points early in the third quarter meant the running game wasn’t going to be a central focus of the offense.

Still, Peterson wasn’t pleased.

“I don’t know how to explain 10 carries,” said Peterson, who gained 60 yards on the ground and not catch a pass. “I don’t know. I was ready to roll. I just do my job when I’m called upon. I go out there and try to execute. The game, we got behind, so we kind of had to turn more into a passing team but that didn’t work either.”

Asked if he was upset, Peterson said: “A little bit. (I) finally get back. But then again we got down so we had to start passing the (ball) a little more. It was more understandable then. I don’t know. I don’t know what goes through the coaches’ mind.

“They knew I had the injuries so maybe different plays they wanted to keep me out. I’m sure they didn’t expect the game to get out of hand like it did. I’m sure they had a strategy in mind, too. Just unfortunately we got down … when we did, it happened pretty quick so they had to switch it up.”

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

9 Responses to “Peterson: “I Don’t Know How To Explain 10 Carries””

1. EaGle_BAller23 says:

adrian peterson s right….

2. Vikadan11 says:

I understand 1 carries just fine ~ It’s called keeping AP safe from himself ~ In a season with nothing to play for but a higher draft pick why put you best weapon out there and risk a bad injury that not only could effect his future but the Vikings cap ~

No one lose to watch AP more then I do but this is a season to give Grehart more work and keep AP more safe ~

Next would be to get Ponder as much work as possible ~ It’s not going to pay any kind of return this year but next should be a different story as long as they put some talent around him ~ Ponder play has fallen off ever sense Jenkins went on the IR ~ Not that he was a pro bowler but he did catch most balls throw his way and should be a fine #3 WR over the next few years ~

So Mr. AP the Vikings are not willing to take a lot of chances with you with only 3 games left (as of yesterday) to play ~ Enjoy the rest and get ready for next season when you should have some better blockers in front of you and Ponder has some better WR’s to throw to ~

And thank you very much for caring about the team and wanting to play and play hard when there wasn’t anything left to play for but a high draft pick ~ Ir’s part of what make you the best RB in the NFL ~

3. meswant says:

I agree, no sense in risking your #1 player further injury or a more severe injury by playing him lots. True that even though the game went south fast, if this was early in the season you still put the ball in AP’s hands – he can get big gains like that 30+ yard run he did. Lets face facts that Ponder is a rookie & is having a hard time getting the ball to Viking receivers – they tend to go to the defensive guys….. At any rate, glad the Vikings are keeping AP from further harm. I do like watching Gerhart rumble though – they should keep him on 3rd downs, very good out of the back field for catching & running. One thing that shocked me is how little they got the ball to Harvin & Rudolph.

4. wtfvikesfan says:

Everybody should be fired for playing Peterson!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is the only great player on this team, don’t need him blowing out a knee for a meaningless game. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!!! I’m very surprised more Vikings fans aren’t pissed about this. No other team in the NFL would have played Peterson yesterday.

5. wtfvikesfan says:

OBTW Suck for Luck back on!! Indy play 2 rookie qb’s the last 2 weeks.

6. […] Read what Peterson had to say at Vikings Gab […]

Collapse for Kalil Contest: Week 16

Only six teams left in battle for second overall draft selection. Clarification this week on Strength of Schedule (SOS) formula. Indianapolis still has inside track to No. 1 overall pick.

VIKING: Odds 2 to 1 (Current SOS=127)

Say, what’s that smell? Six straight losses have given Vike that certain odor associated with the desperate and despicable. No longer an NFC playoff spoiler and now just a stinker. Possible they’ll win an upcoming game. Would still give them no worse that #3 spot.

RAM: Odds 2.5 to 1 (Current SOS=132)

Tough schedule and mediocre play point to a two win season. Ram not likely to be able to move ball against tough Steeler and 49’er defenses. Strong opponents schedule working against Ram coming away with second pick overall.

COLT: Odds 25 to 1 (Current SOS=118)

Inopportune win (Damn Orlovsky) last week. Colt still have #1 ‘Suck for Luck’ pick wrapped up. Would have to win two games – Thursday’s home game against Texan and in Jacksonville. Weak SOS assures them #1 tiebreaker even if they do get another win.

BROWN: Odds 50 to 1 (Current SOS=108)

Another four win team having little likelihood to catch floaters above. Need to upgrade the right side of offensive line.

JAGUAR: Odds 50 to 1 (Current SOS=110)

How one win changes the draft position. Last game at home against upstart Colt

TAMPA BAY: Odds 40 to 1 (Current SOS=121)

Eight straight losses for team and coaching staff apparently just going through the motions. Looking at four win season after Falcon and this weekend at….

PANTHER: No Odds = Out (Current SOS=113)

With Buc coming to town Panther expecting to finish 2011 with six wins. Each win will make it a more expensive trade up from 7th to 9th spot to #2 to unite Matt with brother Ryan.

* SOS = Strength of Schedule as measured by opponents current win total. Team with the LOWER strength of schedule (i.e. their opponents compiled FEWER wins) is granted the earlier pick in round one. Lower score wins – (like golf).