Adrian Peterson Tears ACL

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson will undergo an MRI tonight on his injured left knee, but a preliminary report from Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports is that the four-time Pro Bowler has a torn ACL and possibly more damage to his left knee.

On the opening play of the second half, Peterson was hit by Redskins safety DeJon Gomes in the left knee after a three-yard run. Peterson was writhing on the ground in pain and was unable to put any pressure on his left leg while he was helped off the field by trainers.

Peterson was on crutches in the locker room after the game.

“You take a blow to the knee like that, you’re concerned about the ACL and the MCL — those ligaments mainly,” Peterson said according to Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com.

“I don’t know. Just trying to stay as positive as I can and I’ll just find out more once (the MRI results are in).”

20 Responses to “Adrian Peterson Tears ACL”

1. CalVkg says:

about as bad as it gets when ya win. i’m sitting here wondering how it could’ve been worse without the team plane crashing into a ball of flames. i mean, that’s hollywood-bad stuff, but realistically, this is about it. 12 hours ago we were thinking andrew luck or high picks galore. not that the best RB in the league, the best back since jim brown, our franchise best player $100 million dollar man, might not ever be back again as good as he was

2. krugjr says:

back on the 18th we had a spirited little debate about AD in the “Awful Vikings…..” post, and most of you thought I was crazy (or a least very very wrong)…..now you REALLY know where I was coming from…..signing AD a year early was another big time error by a franchise with ownership and a front office that is average at best, and average gets you no where in today’s NFL…..

best wishes in your recovery, AD…..I will now go back to celebrating the birth of Jesus!

3. skyfiber says:

The Vikings are inept even at being inept. A hundred million in the toilet and your future cube seeing stars (probably forever)and then WIN THE DAMN GAME to blow your draft chances. Jesus, after 45 years watching this moronic franchise, I think I’m finally done…that’s my Christmas gift to ME!

4. Joe Webb says:

The person I’d like to ask is Robert Smith, he came back from something similar. Maybe they can now seriously learn how to use him when he comes back instead of plowing him into the line like Herschal Walker. It was inevitable that this would happen… They can’t play to lose, that’s ridiculous. They can gain more going with Webb, Toby and Percy. Ponder is a fine 2nd stringer. Go with the guy who WINS, makes BIG plays. Enough already. Trade down to get 4 players in top 50: WR, OT, CB, BA. I think Frazier is hopefully starting to see with Webb. We scored with this guy, come on! Almost like Kirby Puckett. Just a gamer. He’s the one to lead Frazier and the Vikings out of this nightmare.

5. byzo2 says:

Bad day for the man and the organization. However, and with the likely benching of Ponder due to injury next week, we will have a chance to look at what the youth of the Vikings, aka the Future, will look like – and I am guardedly optimistic. First, with AD out, Gerhart will become the man, but not in the same way AP was; Ad is a phenom who the rest of the team could play behind, while Gerhart will need the team to play with him to get the job done, thus elevating the whole. Second, Webb will get to show (once again) that he can, and against the Bears, will win. He has it. I like Ponder’s potential, but Webb is more experienced and, at the moment, can do everything Ponder does and more. Finally, I will look for the Vikes to elevate RB Caleb King. They need to get a look at the kid before the draft in order to determine if we need a better option for a second back, as AP looks to be out for a long time. By all accounts King has a good chance at success in the pros, especially as a number two change of pace back – in this regard I like him a lot, in that you have a ground-pounder in Gerhart who can hurt and where down the enemy, which is then followed-up with a quick slasher, not the other way round, i.e. AP then Gerhart. I feel bad for AP, but you have to look at the long term future – heck, as a Vikings fan, you have little choice at this point.

6. Dynalee10 says:

I want Webb to start next week against the Bears , I am a fan of both him and Ponder for different reasons but right now JW is moving the team and deserves to prove he can do it for the whole game when a team has game planned for him.

7. Why do the vikings suck so much at life?

Why does anyone care?

Will anyone in LA care next year after they move?

• c.carterhof says:

Go fuck yourself.

• Lost Viking says:

Reading through reports on AD injury can make a Viking fan feel pretty bad. Don’t need to put up with idiot Packer fan reaction. Will say that I’ve seen some classy comments from fans of other teams expressing concern about AD and wishing best for return to NFL career.

The fear is we’re not going to see AD return as the same player. The good news is recovery is expected. Such a beautiful runner. Quick and powerful with amazing force. Tremendous athlete and one of the best we’ll see.

The injury took away from a really good game for Viking. For Viking fan 2011 has been a tough year.

8. Joey Browner says: