Vikings Name Rick Spielman As General Manager

The Minnesota Vikings announced that Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman has been promoted to General Manager.

“This establishes the organizational structure that will lead to the long term success of the Vikings,” said Vikings Owner/Chairman Zygi Wilf in a statement released by the club. “Having watched Rick over the years, we have the utmost confidence that he will help us reach our ultimate goal of winning championships.”

Spielman has been with the Vikings since May of 2006, overseeing the club’s pro and college scouting departments. Before joining the Vikings, Spielman was a scout in the Detroit Lions’ organization (1990-96), was the Chicago Bears’ Director of Pro Personnel from 1997-99, and was with the Miami Dolphins from 2000-04, serving as Assistant General Manager in 2004.

“Rick has proven to be a valuable member of the organization since joining the Vikings in 2006,” Owner/President Mark Wilf added. “With Rick’s and Coach (Leslie) Frazier’s leadership, the Vikings are well-positioned to win next season and beyond.”

Spielman and Frazier will address the media on Tuesday afternoon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

8 Responses to “Vikings Name Rick Spielman As General Manager”

1. byzo2 says:

To paraphrase Napoleon: Better one bad general than two good ones (or three, as the case may be). In my estimation, it is hard to say what impact, good or ill, Spielman has had on the teams overall personnel decisions, seeing as how they were saddled with the oft, and rightfully, maligned leadership by committee formula. If Napoleon was right, and I believe he was, then I am optimistic the team will finally put into place a coherent draft strategy, team-centered, and with a long-term approach vs. a win now approach. Let the rebuilding start! And I hope it begins in earnest with the O-line! and not with a WR or CB.

Congratulations to Dick Spielman on his promotion to GM.

3. Vikadan11 says:

Based on everything I have read in the past and of today Rick only had so much say and you have to take into account that Rob Brzezinski was in control under Red and was in the corner of Chilly for his 5 seasons ~ Now he has been removed from any power of say so in 10 years ~

I’m going to take the wait and see approach ~ There are no facts to backup one side or the other ~ It’s all gut feelings at this time in how we feel ~

JMHO but taking Rob out of the pitcher was a great move for the Vikings ~ I have seen enough of his talent’s in FA and on draft day to last me a life time ~ How do I know this ~

No more triangles of authority

• Adam says:

Brzezinski has not been removed Vikadan, it appears he will remain “Vice President of Football Operations.”

What is your beef with him. I consider him to be one of the best capologists in the NFL and has created unique contracts to benefit the Vikings on a number of occassions, such as the Hutchinson poison pill and Winfield’s de-escalator that will save them $3.5 million this season.

I’m not defending the triangle, but I am glad Rob is still in the fold and can advise the organization on their cap situation and the writing of contracts. Nobody does it better.

• Vikadan11 says:

Rob has no mre voting power like he did with Chilly ~ He is no longer in the No more triangles of authority ~ He did have voting power with Chilly in FA & the draft plus he was the acting GM under Red ~ There has been plenty of report about this ~

If there is any guy who has help set this team back over the last 11 seasons going back to when Tice was the HC it’s Rob ~ He sucks at picking out talent in FA and the draft ~

Have you forgotten that it was Chilly & Rob who out voted Fran Foley to trade up for TJ and the drafting of R. Cook at the top of round 2 ~ It cost him his job 2 days later ~

Rob was also the one who had to have Smoot when Tice wanted OG’s ~ I love it when people try to blame Tice with Rob;s screw ups ~ Anyone with any sense knows Rob had to much on the line to set by and let screw up the draft under his watch ~

I have a lot of reasons not to like Rob out side of his office ~ Inside he is one of the best capologists in the NFL as you said ~

Everything I have said about Rob has been out in the press at the time it was happening ~ And no I dont think Tice was the guy to lean this team to the super bowl but he could have done far better with help from a real GM ~ And I dont have a clue how Fran would have worked out so I’m not taking up for either ~

But Rob has been a pain in the butt of the Vikings and fans sense he was named acting~jack GM with Red ~

As long as Rob stays in his office doing what he does well I have no problem with Rob ~ But I want lie IMHO getting Rob out of who is signed or drafted is as good as a big name FA or another 1st round pick IMHO ~

• Adam says:

Wow, that is quite the opinion Vikadan… although it sounds quite a bit like revisionists history to me. Foley was fired because he lied on his resume.

Brzezinski may have a say in how much money the Vikings can spend on particular players, but I don’t think he EVER had a say in identifying talent. Ever.

Of course, you and I both will never know the full details of what happens inside those offices, but I will just agree to disagree with you on this one.

• Vikadan11 says:

First off I agree we will never know everything that goes on at Winter Park ~

If Rob sided with Chilly they had 2/3 the voting power ~ The lie was used as the reason Fran was fire ~ It was in the press the follow wek about the screaming matches that went on in the war room all weekend long ~ Do you really believe the Vikings just found about that lie the day after the draft ~ ? Not I ~

Do you remember (in the press the following wee) Fran telling Studwell and other to say home Monday because blood was going to flow ~ ?

There are many reason I dislike Rob going back to his acting GM under Red ~ Sure Red told him to save money because he was trying to sale the team ~ But it was the player he signed and gave money away too ~ I do mean gave because they never earned it ~

Rob has in the past and until this offseason has had a say in what has happened ~ 1/3 hased on everything I have read over the years ~

Like I said as long as Rob keeps his butt in his office and is working on contract then great ~ He is one of the best ~

The great thing now is if Rick want a player Rob really doesn’t have a say without Rick looking at whats take place ~ I mean there could always be a bidding war and I’m sure Rob has some input as to what is tops for this play pay wise and thats great also ~ The key according to everything I have read in the press (Living in NC that all I have to go on) is Rob’s voting power is no more and thats a very good thing IMHO ~

Spielman said he was “100 percent” behind the decision to take Ponder 12th overall in last April’s draft. (Fine, but there was a report Vike had high grades on Locker taken #8. Then Spielman tried and failed to trade with Cowboy #9 which would have opened up possibility of Blaine Gabbert. At #12 the room was 100% Ponder and everyone is glad its him and not Gabbert).

It bothered me that Brzezinksi’s name wasn’t mentioned in Wilf de-briefing yesterday following Spielman appointment. However, maybe Wilf’s didn’t want to get into publicly acknowledging key staff as they would inevitably end up leaving somebody out.