Vikings Plan To Interview Raheem Morris For DC Position.

According to kffl.com, the Vikings plan on interviewing recently dismissed Tampa Bay head coach Raheem Morris for their defensive coordinator position. View source here: ( http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=764471-vikings-raheem-morris-update ) Fred Pagac was the Vikings defensive coordinator in 2011, and with a 3-13 record, it’s obvious that changes will be made in a lot of areas. Recently promoted GM for the Vikings, Rick Spielman, will have input on the decision, but head coach Leslie Frazier will be the one to make final decisions in terms of the coaching staff.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

26 Responses to “Vikings Plan To Interview Raheem Morris For DC Position.”

At least the interview is for a ‘significant defensive coaching position’.

In other coaching news, “Holmgren said Brown didn’t talk to former Viking head coach Brad Childress about a job last year. They wouldn’t rule out hiring Childress as offensive coordinator this year.”

Good luck with that, Brad.

Viking fan have experienced Falcon (away), Detroit and New Orlean (home) so can attest to what Handle is saying here:

N.Y. GIANT -3 +102 over Atlanta

Forget records. Forget most of the stats. The basic difference between these two is that that Falcon are soft and the Giant are not. Come playoff time, gritty trumps pretty. The Giant’ recent schedule had them defeating the Cowboy in two must wins. They beat the Jet in an important battle of New York. Prior to those contests, the Giant went toe-to-toe with the Packer, lost in New Orleans, dropped a tough one to rival Eagle, lost in San Francisco and defeated the Patriot. Suddenly, 9-7 doesn’t look so bad.

It wasn’t quite the same for Falcon. After their Week 8 bye, Atlanta faced just one playoff team and it was none other than the Saint team they were chasing for the division but lost both, the latter by 29 points. Other games included the Buc, Jaguar, Viking, Titan and Colt.

This is not a great setting for the Falcon. Atlanta plays best in a dome, where it hosted eight games this season and also had the luxury of playing four road games indoors. This is outside, in East Rutherford, in January, in cold and in wind. Conditions aside, Giant are getting healthier, particularly on defence. Jason Pierre-Paul has become a feared pass rusher and combined with Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora, the Giant can pressure Matt Ryan all afternoon. New York’s Eli Manning is at the top of his game and has found a rhythm with an exhilarating Victor Cruz. When the going gets tough, the Giant get going and we expect nothing less here.

Play: N.Y. Giant -3

NEW ORLEANS -10½ over Detroit

New Orleans was a 10½-pt. choice at this time last year before being shockingly bounced by the inferior Seahawk. For Lion fan, that can’t be good. New Orleans does not need any extra motivation. Saint are in some sort of crazed zone right now. They haven’t lost since October. They have not lost at home this season, outscoring their visitors by a whopping 329-143 count. Detroit was one of the teams that stopped by this season and were neatly disposed of in a 31-17 loss. Of course, this dynamic offense is orchestrated by the record-setting arm of Drew Brees. Brees is a precision passer, complimented by an array of superb offensive stars. The emergence of TE Jimmy Graham and the addition of RB Darren Sproles, has made this unit more potent than ever.

Lion are not equipped to slow it down. Detroit allowed the 22nd most points in the league. Just last week, in a game they needed to win in order to avoid flying here, the Leo allowed Packer backup QB Matt Flynn to carve them up for 480 yards, six TD’s and 45 points in his second lifetime start. While Detroit has some offensive weaponry of its own, the Saint defense is an unheralded group that has enough talent and experience to hold the Lion at bay. Detroit is thrilled to participate in its first playoff since 1999. It is definitely something to build on but this stop is where the ride comes to abrupt stop for now.

Play: New Orleans -10½

See no reason Fred Pagac couldn’t slip into vacated Defensive Line coach position with Raheem Morris as D-Coordinator.

Pagac favors a more aggressive blitz system. Raheem Morris would bring new energy to the Cover 2. By moving up from linebacker to Defensive Line coach Pagac could claim his involvement prevented actions by those looking to implement a 3 – 4 alignment.

Not sure its fair to put the cover -2 system on trial when Viking didn’t have secondary personnel available to counteract pass offenses.

• Vikadan11 says:

I agree ~ One might thing that Frazier playing in the 43 defense would have liked the more aggressive blitz system ~ Knowing how well it work first hand I would have thought that Frazier would have been on board with the style of defense ~ Dungy must have screwed his thinking up ~ The cover 2 is no the only defense in the NFL that works and works well and the cover2 has fallen behind IMHO unless you have the perfect players in place ~ Or so it seems to me ~

As always I can be wrong ~ I have been once ~ LOL

• Phil says:

Why do you speak in singular words

• Vikadan11 says:

Because I’m 56 years old and I have always had dyslexia along with ADD so when I came along in school back in the early 70’s they did have the testing they do today and I guess they just thought I was a slacker and passed me along anyway ~

So basically I thought myself too read as life went on and writing has never been a strong point of my but I have gotten better over the years ~ So I’m sure you can imagine why my posts looked like the do ~ And thank God I have spell check ~

Luckily I have always been able to see something done once and learn from it and later I thought myself to read blue prints with the help of some very good coworkers and that made it easy for me to make a living as a machinist early in my life and I was one of the best tool grinders every where I work ~ I gues being like I was in my school years make me take pride in my work once I found something I enjoyed ~ I was never a CEO but I did hold my shear of Supervisor job ~ So I was lucky that the thing I suffered from early in life didn’t hold me back ~ I know it could have been much worse ~

I hope that answers your question Phil ~

4. Dan218 says:

A 4-3 will still work fine in this league, but you need to run it more like Spags did with the Giants. I don’t have a problem that they are looking into Morris, he’s a good young coach, but I sure hope they checked in with Spags first because he would be the ideal coach for the guys we already have.

5. Favrelous says:

You used to write some great original content. It seems know you simply repeat news stories late. This was yesterday’s news. It would be great to get back to unique current content.

6. TexVike55 says:

If Raheem becomes the new DC, will the Vikes want Pagac back in any position? And how would Fred feel about an obvious demotion? Raheem had been a DB coach for some years, and I think the way our secondary stunk up the stadium practically every game we might be hiring him for that purpose.

• Lost Viking says:

Glazer didn’t just fire head coach. He also got rid of Buccaneer Defensive Coordinator also the same Raheem Morris.

So 35 year old Morris took over defensive playcalling and couldn’t find anyone better to coach defense. Cheap Glazers saved a salary. Do we really want Raheem Morris and Mike Singletary supporting Leslie on the same sidelines this year? Would it leave enough oxygen to be able to breathe? Maybe Raheem could convince friendly Albert Haynesworth to come over. That’s a lot of drama right there.

Then you have Fred Pagac, promoted from LB coach, who could be relegated to vacant Defensive Line coach. Something might have to give first.

7. Vikadan11 says:

I want lie ~ After hearing about Singletary skipping most of the LBer meeting I hope he is the first one fired ~ The LBer play was ugly and I know all but Erin played well over the last 5 seasons ~

8. Van Brocklin says:

Good god

9. vk4life says:

I agree with Lost Viking, Pagac should be retained as the D-Line coach. He has the support of Jarred and K-Will, will help keep familiarit.

10. wtfvikesfan says:

WAY TO GO NDSU BISON FCS NATIONAL CHAMPS!!!!!

11. Vikadan11 says:

CBSSports.com’s Clark Judge reported today that the Vikings are expected to interview former Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo, Jaguars defensive coordinator/interim coach Mel Tucker and Vikings linebackers coach Mike Singletary for the coordinator job.

12. Vikadan11 says:

Am I the only one who believes that Frazier is putting on a show so he can make it look like he put forth a big effort only to promote his buddy Mike to the DC job ~ ? Maybe I’m reaching ~ Just a gut feeling I hope I’m wrong about ~

13. wtfvikesfan says:

Draft nasty.com has OT Riley Reiff number one overall player. http://www.draftnasty.com/

The Defensive Coordinator position may come down to Mike Singletary, Raheem Morris, Mel Tucker and Dave Spagnuolo or somebody else. Of that group Spagnuolo would seem safest choice followed by Morris. Spags guranteed salary makes it hard to see a benefit in coaching in 2012 unless Vike pay big.

Selection of the D-coordinator may determine the D front alignment. No player would be as affected by this as Kevin Williams. K-Will is not the ideal size as the 3-4 tackle. As a conventional 4-3 Left tackle he brings consistency as an inside rusher. He could play nose but it would change his style of play and he’s not the big, squat run stopper NT type. K-Will could move to DE but again not ideal.

K. Williams wasn’t his best season as he started late, missed Phat Pat early and had a foot injury affecting his first step drive. He improved toward the end of season and Vike really needed that inside rush. For 2012 K-Will would seem to need better RT support.

Viking might consider moving toward a 3-4 in 2013 but I’d want to stay with 4-3 next year if Kevin Williams is coming back healthy.

15. Vikadan11 says:

Spagnuolo ponders taking a year off
    Posted by Mike Florio on January 9, 2012, 1:15 PM EST
    Seattle Seahawks v St. Louis Rams Getty Images

One of the hottest defensive coordinator candidates on the market may decide not to be on the market at all.

In a recent interview with Bryan Burwell of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (via Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News), former Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo mentioned the possibility of taking a year off. His wife, Maria, promptly disagreed. “I know Steve, and I told him no way,” she said while laughing. “There’s no way he will be able to sit around for a year doing nothing . . . He loves coaching way too much to sit around idly for a year.”

But here’s the thing. Unless someone is going to pay him more than what the Rams were scheduled to pay Spagnuolo in 2012, he’d be working for free. The Rams owe his full salary for 2012, and the amount owed by the Rams would be diminished, dollar for dollar, if he takes another job in coaching.

Depending on the precise language of his contract, Spagnuolo possibly could get a job in the media or in some other football-but-not-coaching capacity and collect both checks. Still, with the coaching dollars the same whether he coaches in 2012 or not, it makes plenty of sense to take a year off and plot more carefully his next move.

Spagnuolo, who ruled out taking a college football job, has been linked to several possible openings, but he told Burwell he has received no job offers yet.

16. Vikadan11 says:

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the “leader in (the) clubhouse” for the Vikings’ defensive coordinator job is Raheem Morris.
    Morris-to-Minnesota rumors have been percolating for days now, and it’s clear he’s Minnesota’s top choice to replace Fred Pagac. Before taking over as the Bucs’ head coach in 2009, Morris had never coordinated a defense at the NFL level. The Bucs ranked 30th in yards allowed this season, and dead last in points against.
    Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter