Vikings 7-Round Mock Draft 1.0

Now that Free Agency has settled down and the draft is less than a month away, I thought I would roll out my first mock draft of the year. I did all 7 rounds and placed players around where most draft analyst have them predicted to go. So have at it in the comment section below and let me know if you agree, think i’m an idiot or just want to share your thoughts on who we should draft this year.

1st Round

Pick 03: LT, Matt Kalil, USC

Matt Kalil Highlights

2012 should be all about growth for Christian Ponder and for that to happen, he needs to stay healthy. Kalil will arguably be the top player available and fills a huge need on the offensive line. This pick would allow Charlie Johnson to move inside and possibly fill 2 spots with 1 pick.

2nd Round

Pick 35: WR, Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina

Alshon Jeffery Highlights

I might be in the minority here, but Jeffery is one, if not my favorite WR prospect in this draft. Jeffery can provide the outside threat we’ve been lacking and although he doesn’t have blazing speed, I think he can win downfield similar to the way Sidney Rice did.

3rd Round

Pick 66: DT Mike Martin, Michigan

Mike Martin Highlights

Vikings recently released Remi Ayodele, leaving Letroy Guion, Fred Evans, and Christian Ballard competing for a starting spot next to Kevin Williams. Frazier tipped his hat saying he would like Guion to start at nose tackle, but I’m not sold with Guion at the nose yet. I don’t see Fred Evans as more than a backup and I like Ballard as a versatile swing player between DT/DE. Martin would be able to come in and compete right away and I like his potential at both UT/NT.

4th Round

Pick 98: LB, James Michael-Johnson, Nevada

James Michael-Johnson Highlights

With E.J. Henderson likely not returning, the Vikings will need to address the MLB position. Jasper Brinkley could be a possible starter but Johnson will allow for some competition and depth at the position.

Pick 128: CB, Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina

Josh Norman Highlights

Hard to imagine that the Vikings wait this long to address cornerback but it’s how it worked out in this mock draft. Getting Cook back will help line up against opposing #1 receivers but we still need someone opposite of him which would allow Winfield to move into the slot.

Pick 134: S, Antonio Allen, South Carolina

Antonio Allen Highlights

Another position the Vikings might address sooner but Allen has the size(6’1, 210) to match up against opposing tight ends. We don’t have many options at safety as it stands now. Vikings like Mistral Raymonds potential but still needs work and Jamarca Sanford is probably not much more than a back up/special teamer.

5th Round

Pick 138:  RB, Chris Rainey, Florida

Chris Rainey Highlights

Might be too early for the Vikings to look at a RB but I think Rainey has potential as a change of pace back who could be a receiving threat out of the backfield. As good as Adrian Peterson is, he doesn’t have the greatest hands and Toby Gerhart is more of a downhill runner.

6th Round

Pick 175: LB, Emmanuel Acho, Texas

It showed last year that depth at linebacker is pretty thin so using another late round pick on one wouldn’t be a bad idea.

7th Round

Pick 210: CB, Ron Brooks, LSU

Ron Brooks Highlights

It’s no secret how bad our secondary was so more than likely will see multiple cornerbacks taken in this draft.

Pick 223: WR, Lance Lewis, ECU

Lance Lewis Highlights

This is where you can try and find a diamond in the rough. Add another WR to come in and compete.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

18 Responses to “Vikings 7-Round Mock Draft 1.0”

1. Mike says:

Loved the mock draft. It would be great if it could unfold like this. I really liked the picks as well as the value on alot of them. I think Alshon Jeffrey will be great in the pros. I also think that Antonio Allen and Josh Norman seem to have a real nose for the ball. Chris Rainey has impressive speed for a change of pace out of the backfield, and he can be split out wide as a receiver, and return kicks. The Vikings already met with Rainey and Antonio Allen. So, I could definitely see that being a realistic possibility. I really enjoyed the mock and the highlights. Thanks.

2. Mike T says:

Not crazy about 3rd round pick….we can do better. Everything else looks great

• Randy Perrin says:

I actually had CB Trumaine Johnson in there at first because I like his potential at CB and S but I changed it to DT because I felt there was a big drop off in talent near the 3rd round for DTs while I could get good value at CB later in the draft. I do see where your coming from though.

• Lost Viking says:

Was going to ask you what happened to Trumaine Johnson at 3rd pick along w/ Harrison Smith (ND). And what happened to Ryan Broyles?

Draft approach is realistic scenario. While I expect to see Safety drafted higher and all the position needs filled the reality will be 4th adn 5th rounders selected for positions like LB, CB and DT. After round three they are all special-team tryouts.

Makes sense for Vike to select Kick Returner as a primary position. Look for Rainey, Broyles, Joe Adam, TY Hilton and Risard Mathews to show up on pre-draft visit list.

3. Jay says:

I think WR Stephen Hill or WR Rueben Randle are better fits in Round 2 than Jefferey. Hard to believe Hill is projected as a late first rounder when he caught only 28 balls last year (and 49 in his career).

I agree with waiting on CB, despite the need. After Claiborne and Gilmore, I think there is a HUGE drop off, especially if Spielman is thinking about moving away from the Cover 2 in 2013.

Second round will be Hill, Randle, or S Harrison Smith. If all three are gone, they might take DT Jerell Worthy to eventually replace Kevin Williams in 2013. After all, it’s all about getting younger. That’s what we’ve been told all off-season.

They are paying Guion $3 million. He will be the starter. But I can see them taking a developmental NT late to compete with Fred Evans for rotational playing time. Perhaps A. Hicks from Regina.

4. Kody g says:

I personally think that the vikes should take kalil. But the way they have made decisions inthe past, i see them taking claibourne with the first pick.

• Lost Viking says:

How do you manage a 4 on your Wonderlic and get drafted at three?

Four out of 50. Christ, the Wonderlic gives you two points if you print your full name correctly…

• Kody G says:

As shown many times before, the wonderlic has nearly nothing to do with the game of football. Clairborne can play. He has instincts for the ball. Best bet Kalil. Still chance of Claiborne. I also think that j blackmon will be a great addition if the redskins for some reason go after kalil. But also if the skins take kalil, wheres RG3 Going?

5. jo says:

I hope viking fans don’t freak out if the Vikes don’t draft Kalil
    and opt for Blackmon or Claiborne at #3.
    The media slotted Kalil to the Vikings, and everyone bought into it.
    Nothing against kalil, but these other guys are needs too.

• Kody g says:

Jo, i could not agree more. Blackmon and ponder would make eachother better. Claiborne would be so good for our secondary. Either Kalil Blackmon or Claiborne would be solid. Any other pick would be redic.

6. Erik H says:

Drafting a DT that early is a wasted pick, we need 2-3 starters in the d-backfield and another 2-3 on the o-line, plus a wr. Ballard was drafted in the 3rd rnd last year to fill this spot, give him a chance and focus our draft picks on positions where we know we are deficient.

7. Erik H says:

Alshon Jeffery is a risky pick, he has outstanding skills but lacks drive and disipline, I’d rather see the Vikes get a wr with a good work ethic, even if he is less skilled…desire counts more in my book.

8. justin gallardo says:

i like the Ron Brooks pick the most because i am a LSU fan and he is very underrated , he has the speed and he has the ability to get the ball , he strips the ball with ease and every int he has had has been returned for a td. plus he could be a punt returner too. which if we get rainy to then we should be set a special teams as far as returners go.. Alshon is good but i just wonder is he worth the risk with all the negatives about him. Rueben Randle is closer to Sydney Rice than Alshon is . Alshon is a te that plays wr. I wish we would draft Claiborne but im being realistic and say they will get Kalil since the vikings have been unable to draft any player i like in the 1st round since they got Harvin .

9. vk4life says:

I am seeing alot of mock drafts out there with us taking Harrison Smith, S from Notre Dame. I personaly think he would be a better pick for need than Alshon Jeffery. It is tough because we do have so many needs, but from what I have seen on Smith I think he would be the best choice and maybe trade 2 of our 4th round picks to get back into the 2nd to get a WR. Thoughts…

• Randy Perrin says:

I have seen alot of ppl mock Smith there but as I watch him, nothing screams elite to me. I actually rather go George Iloka in 3/4. Iloka seems like the player with more upside to me. As for trading 4th rounders, you can’t trade comp picks so we would only be allowed to trade 1 4th rounder.

10. […] is my Mock Draft I did awhile back for you to chew […]