By NFL.com

Vikings punter Chris Kluwe has never been afraid to speak his mind.

Over the last few years, Kluwe has poked fun at NFL training videos on permissible hits, took shots at the owners during labor negotiations and the league’s 2011 memo regarding the faking of injuries. Kluwe’s preferred avenue for speaking against injustices has been on Twitter, where he’d post white board drawings and messages to get his point across.

The 30-year-old punter now is taking a more direct approach, standing up for marriage equality in Minnesota, which has a proposed constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages on the ballot this November. “Someone (from Minnesotans for Equality) contacted me on Twitter and asked if I’d be interested,” Kluwe recently told Outsports.com.

“I said yes. I’ve always believed that people are inherently the same and should have the same rights and equal protection under the law. It really doesn’t matter what you do with who or whom as long as you’re not infringing on someone else’s rights. Everyone should be free to live their own life however it makes them happy.”

Kluwe, who had a hand in writing the ads, adds that his brother in-law is gay, but is unable to wed his partner because it’s illegal in California, Kluwe said that his relationship with his brother-in-law, however, was not a factor in his decision to speak out against the amendment. “One of the things my parents brought me up with is that you should have equality for everyone,” he said.

“I would like to think I have a pretty strong sense of justice and right and wrong. (The proposed marriage amendment) is just blatant discrimination and that’s not right, that’s wrong.”

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

12 Responses to “Punter Chris Kluwe Says Minnesota Banning Same-Sex Marriages is “Blatant Discrimination””

1. A Blind Man says:

It’s not about discrimination. It’s about respecting and preserving the natural union that produces offspring and created all of us. Naturally, there can be no other way. It deserves that respect. Kluwless loose cannons’ brother in law can live with his partner and have a civil union. Just call it something else, it’s not marriage. Get over it already. No one wants gay people to be ashamed, rather, respect naturally married people. Reward it. Don’t blur it.

• Rick Bedard says:

This took alot of guts for a football player to support Same sex.and I applaud you for that as I believe NO ONE has the right to tell you who to love…The most difficult thing in life is to find that person who really loves you for who you are and when you find that do not let go !!!

• Gabriel says:

Shutting your eyes does not a blind man make you. It makes you willfully ignorant. The government should get out of the marriage/social engineering business but until it does then everyone deserves to have the same rights. And really, being legally married is for tax and property purposes. IT has nothing to do with being religiously married.

• Vikadan11 says:

Agree ~

• mizi says:

Wow it sounds like to me your ashamed of people being who they are. Does it really affect you if same sex ocuples get married??? I applaud the kicker for standing up for equal rights.

2. Vikadan11 says:

I dont care if they can get married ~ But

The thing that bothers me is they will have the right to adopt children and no one has the right to force a child to live like that ~ If you have a problem with that then maybe you should talk to kids who have had to live like that as their parent had a same sex partner ~ Its hurtful for them to even have to be seen in public or in a store let along what they have to go through at school ~

Thank about other before you speak ~ Or speak to some of them before you make up your mind ~ Otherwise you dont have a clue about what you are saying ~ Thats the simple facts ~

If you dont care about the children then be brave enough to come out and say it ~

• NFLGBT says:

No. Kids who have same-sex parents are treated just the same as everybody else, outside of some rare bullying problems related to it (and really, how many kids aren’t bullied about something or another? I mean, really, should we ban lower-middle-class people from marrying and having kids just because their financial situation can be used against their children in bullying by upper-middle-class kids?)

3. VikesFan says:

I am so sick of this debate…. Chris Kluwe is entitled to his OWN PERSONAL opinion as is everyone else, but I’m sick of people like him trying to convince others into believing their point. And I’m sure that im going to get responses to this that say that he is just speaking his mind, but that is not true because he went public with his own personal opinion and when you do that you go beyond speaking your mind!!! Most people fail to understand the complete ramifications of legalizing same sex marriages and it is FAR beyond the simple answer of equal rights. There are both moral and legal problems associated with the issues. In addition, it changes the family structure for the worse and that is not simply my opinion, that is a scientific fact. If you don’t believe me, then go look at research and the statistics associated with kids who grow up with both and mother and a father in the home versus those that don’t. And I’m not just talking about gay couples, I am talking about divorced families as well. It is a serious problem and everyone wonders why the American family in general and our country is falling apart??? That’s not the only reason we are failing but it is one big one…

• NFLGBT says:

How does it change family structure “for the worse”?

What are the negative legal ramifications?

My father died when I was 10, I grew up without him. And yet, I turned out totally normal (save for my obsession with sports). I’m walking proof that kids don’t need both a mother and a father to be perfectly acclimated to society. I know some straight parents that are far worse than gay ones…

• A Blind Man says:

It’s all in the definition. Personally, I’d like to marry two bi-sexual women who only have sex with me and each other, that’s what I want. What about MY rights? Why because I’m in the minority doesn’t everyone feel sorry for me? That’s what I want. Look, Gabriel I’m not shutting my eyes, my handle is, Blind Man, as in “even a blind man can see it”. If we change it for Adam and Steve, include me and my two wifes. Throw in the cat. We have to have some sense with this. Kluwless is just like that punk kid when you were little that stood on the corner and mouthed off and ran to his mommie. A few years back, the turf was too hard. I bet his band sucks, too.

4. A Blind Man says:

Other than that, Go VIKINGS!

5. A Blind Man says:

So, really, thanks to Kluwless, I’ve seen the light. I’m no longer “willfully ignorant”. Threesome marriage! Let’ do it!Kind of a combo of hetro and gay. I’m the true progressive here.