Harvin Not Happy With Ponder; Deal With Seattle Close To Being Final

Percy Harvin wanted two things this offseason: money and a better quarterback, Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports reports.

According to two sources, the straw that broke the Vikings’ back with Harvin is when he bemoaned the fact that quarterback Christian Ponder, a 2011 first-round pick, was not good enough. That came even though Ponder consistently fed Harvin the ball.

Last season, Harvin had team highs of 62 catches for 677 yards, and added three touchdowns before suffering a season-ending injury in the Vikings’ ninth game.

Now he’s on the verge of being gone, traded to the Seahawks for that should include the Hawks’ 2013 first-round draft choice being sent to the Vikings, sources told ESPN.

It also is contingent on Harvin agreeing to a new contract, which is expected to be finalized in the next 48 hours.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

17 Responses to “Harvin Not Happy With Ponder; Deal With Seattle Close To Being Final”

1. Ben Volio says:

Should be worth more than just a first round pick. First and a fourth forth or trade him to the Browns — they’ll give all their picks for him.

2. Purple Helmet says:

That sucks!!! How can you blame him? Everyone can see Ponder can’t throw. He’s a scrub!! I’m pissed at Frazier, too, for sticking with him. I’d yell, too!! I’ve never heard of that before. The player says, “the QB sucks, I’m outta here.”

3. Larry Johnson says:

now Harvin will end up being another Jerry Rice;
    seems like every time a Viking WR leaves ….he
    shows his true talent…Percy is being held back w Ponder
    throwing to him , but in Seattle… he ‘ll put up
    some numbers that will be Jerry Rice like & some
    other all time greats …… I am a huge Viking fan but I
    am very happy 4 Harvin…..good luck Percy

• VikesMan says:

Oh, like Sidney Rice? Man, he’s showing us all his talent. What did Randy Moss ever do? One good season in N.E. I say take the picks and flip the first rounder for a Victor Cruz. We are gonna have to pay someone anyway, so why not get somebody else. Harvin didn’t want to be there, so cut your losses and stop whining.

4. Chris says:

F percy. whiny little girl if you ask me. If we cant get Jennings, I say we should go afte Darius Heyward Bey, hes showed great flashes the past 2 seasons, he’d be better than simpson.

5. Chris says:

Harvin will never end up like Jerry Rice nor will his numbers, whatever youre smoking I want some

• Purple Helmet says:

He would kill you. You can’t let # 1 draft picks/rookie of the year people walk and keep the crappy guys. This back up we just signed from KC is the same guy as Ponder,will know the game plan, follow the program, conservative, but no real game. Percy knew that, complained about it, and they chose a crappy, worst QB in league guy. Let one of the best players I’ve ever seen go, just like that. The biggest bummer is, HE said, Scew you guys. It’s because he played with Favre and knows the difference, and shows you how lost the Viking ship is.

6. purplereign57 says:

Harvin is right…Ponder isn’t good enough, and I doubt he will ever be unless there is some drastic improvement that takes place next season, ’cause they’ve already said they are sticking with him. If there isn’t some big time improvement next year then I look for some of the rerst of the team wanting to leave…and coaches too. Right now, it looks like Minnesota made another huge mistake drafting Ponder. Just another in a looooonnng line of bonehead moves that the vikings have become famous for.

7. jo says:

Too bad that Spielman is too proud to admit Ponder was drafted too high
    They could have picked him up in the fourth round.
    Percy just voiced what everyone already knows.
    Vikes should bring in Fitzpatrick or Cassell and use one of their two first rounders on Matt Barkley in the draft.
    Use the other pick on a wide receiver

8. jo says:

You have to believe Percys view of Ponder…He played with him in practice daily

9. purplereign57 says:

@jo…I have to agree with you. Spielman and company aren’t about to admit that they could’ve done better than Ponder. BUT…I guess we have to keep remembering the stats that Manning, Brees, Aikman, etc. put up in their first few seasons and hope that the same is going to be true of Ponder. I STILL think that they should bring in a veteran like Matt Moore or even, dare I say it, Matt Cassell to push Ponder to perform better…if it doesn’t make him shake in his cleats, that is. Being a hard-core Viking fan, I have to keep believing that Ponder WILL get better…a lot better. I also agree that IF Matt Barkley is still there at #22 or #23, that they should scoop him up AND use the other first rounder for a WR.

10. jo says:

I not saying that they shouldn’t have drafted Ponder,but not in the first round. He has third or fourth rounder written all over him.
    Heck….Russell Wilson was a third rounder,but since Wisconsin isn’t know for passing he went that late.
    Ponder went to Florida State the wide receiver capitol.So Ponder had stud receivers making him look better than reality.

11. dynalee10 says:

Funny Percy never called out Webb or Mcflabb who were just as bad as Ponder or even worse , the real reason was money , it always is M O N E Y !

• jo says:

It is always about money and Harvin knew that Ponders limitations would cost Harvin money.
      Harvin had Farve, so that is what he was used to. A qb that could sling the ball from anywhere on the field.

• Purple Helmet says:

No, that’s because they COMMITTED to Ponder. Ponder or bust. He wanted to play with a player who is as close to Favre as possible, a REAL QB, not this manufactured BS. Favre was good from the start. Ponder has shown his (lack) of game and his inconsistancy. It IS a tough position, and the operative word should be “next”, not “coddle”.

12. jo says: