Childress Allowed To Stick Around

So much for the carrot on a stick.

According to an announcment from the Vikings official website, the team and Head Coach Brad Childress have agreed to an extension of his contract that will keep him in Minnesota until 2013.

ESPN says that the deal is expected to nearly double his annual salary, bumping it up to the four or five million dollar mark.

Fans are mixed on whether this was a good move for the Vikings and are perplexed about the timing of the extension.  I, myself, wonder why this couldn’t have been taken care of after the 2009 season comes to some sort of finish.

What this tells me is that the Wilf’s were going to extend Childress’ contract no matter how this season ends.  It also means that the Wilf’s wanted there to be as little unrest this offseason as possible.  In an offseason that could see a very high percentage of coaching changes, perhaps the Vikings feel they can do a better job of recruiting talent if the helm is in a stable position.

This is simply speculation, but to be honest, it is the only explanation I can come up with for extending the contract of a coach that is 0-1 in the post season in three seasons.

Then again, perhaps the Wilf’s are just looking forward to firing him next week and making Bobby Wade the head coach.

Or perhaps fire him on Christams Eve and make Marcus Robinson the head coach.

But probably not, after all, Jared Allen says he’s a player’s coach.

34 Responses to “Childress Allowed To Stick Around”

Adam you come up with a better explanation than I can. Chili has won basicaly nothing yet. Last years NFC North was down to the last game of the season. It could’ve went either way. It seems Ziggy spends the money and Chili gets credit for it. No logic at all here.

• kennyrogers says:

I’m with you all the way on this one, BJ! As far as “recruiting” in the offseason, we lost TJ Hooshahmadrashad last year and it indirectly led to getting Harvin and maybe Favre. I just can’t understand what the hurry was. Chili has no motivation now.

Apparently there are ten compensations provisions in Chldress contract deal. Including:
    1. $4 million per year
    2. half the profits from sale of SB tickets
    3. special Brett Favre mileage allowance
    4. free annual subscription to Viking Gab

So, what have you guys heard about the rest?

3. Adam Warwas says:

No way, Lost. Chili has doubled his salary, so i’ve doubled the price of the subscription.

4. True Viking Fan says:

First of all we’ve gone from 6-10 to 8-8 to 10-6(Division Champs) to 8-1. He not only is building a team of talent but of character, which creates trust and unity, which creates a long term success. You are obviously too stupid to see this which is why your not coaching an NFL team or owning one like the Wilfs. Bud Grant never won a Super Bowl at Minnesota, do you call him a failure. I’ve never seen the entire Vikings team so unified like they are right now which again comes from leadership, which originates with the coaching staff. Maybe if your truly a Vikings fan you should also join that unity and stand behind them instead of opening your mouthes like your some kind of expert on the subject of coaching and leadership.

5. Adam Warwas says:

Interesting, but not unusual take “True Viking Fan.” Do you own or coach a team? If so, I’d love to interview you.

Let me know.

• True Viking Fan says:

Hey Adam I wasn’t the one who was questioning matters that I’m not qualified to be questioning. If I did own or coach a team I’d be getting interviewed by something much bigger than this little site.

No problem True, I understand my place.

I just thought you insinuated that you were an owner/coach. Though, I disagree that only people in those positions have valid opinions.

I appreciate your opinion, True. Just like I appreciate everyone on here, on other sites, and within the organization.

True Packers Fan take your garbage somewhere else. This little site is the best there is.

True. how many playoff games has Chili won? How many playoff games did Bud win? The team unification, hate to say it, but comes from Favre. Yes Chili deserves credit for that although Bevell is alot closer to him than Chili. We have said all along that Chili is a good judge of talent, minus the TJ experiment of course, but its his gametime decisions and halftime adjustments that leave us scratching our heads. So True put the koolaid down and be quiet.

• True Viking Fan says:

Since Childress’s only other experience is as offensive coordinator at Phil. for four seasons where he won three division titles, won four playoff games and had one super bowl appearance. Bud Grant was 10-12 in playoffs in 18 seasons and didn’t win his first playoff game till his third season. Tom Landry took seven years to even have over a .500 season record and ten years to reach his first super bowl and was there for 29 years. Both Bud Grant and Tom Landry are considered lengendary coaches because of what they did to build an organization over time or they would have been fired before they ever accomplished anything. People used to support their team without constantly questioning and critisizing everything that they have nothing to do with.

How the hell can you say Chili won those things. Yes I guess he was Off. cord. but Andy Reid had to take the play calling away from him because he was so bad at it. I have seen nowhere on here that Adam has ever critisized the team. God you are a meathead.

7. Adam Warwas says:

Fans ultimately sign their paychecks (and give them stadiums). They are, and rightfully so, the ultimate stock holders, and perfectly capable of having a say in the quality of the product they are paying for.

The Nazis followed Hitler without question or criticism becuase he had the job so he must have been the best qualified to make these decisions… that worked out well for them, right?

• True Viking Fan says:

Most Nazi’s followed Hitler out of fear and lack of choice. Follow or face the same as the Jews. As with most dictators the following is out of fear of the consequences.

Fear. Blind Faith. Ignorance. The end result is the same.

Not saying there isn’t a case to be made for liking Childress.

But the same can be said for not liking Childress. At 9-1, it is obvious there is room to improve. Most fans would agree, I think, that the coaching and play-calling is one of the biggest aspects of this team that needs to improve.

8. Adam Warwas says:

Also, you’re comparing apples and oranges.

Grant and Landry coached long before the NFL adopted the “parody” philosophy. They run the draft, free agency, and tags in such a manner now that teams can be built at a much faster speed. See the 2008 Falcons.

9. True Viking Fan says:

It’s just sad to see how our society is all about instant gratification. We don’t appreciate the work and effort and somtimes the perseverence and patience that things should take. We want everything right now and if we don’t have it we’re onto the next thing. It’s the same in building wealth that lasts, be it wealth of character, wealth of finances or wealth of success, it takes patience and focus on the long term. I’m sure you’ve heard the example of staying on a straight line, if you look down at your feet as your walking you’ll never get to where you want to go because you’ll veer all over, you look at the point where you want to be in the distance and you’ll walk a straight line to it. Doing things quick may work but usually they’re short lived.

The NFL is an instant gratification business. websites, twitter, instant replay, immediate analysis, and so on and so on and so on. It’s the nature of the beast.

In this case, I don’t care what it says about society. My concern is the football team, not society. I can admit that I’m an instant-gratification-junky if that is the reason why I’m calling for Chili and Bevell to stop calling screens to Tahi after 22 games of failure.

Geez more moronic ramblings

10. True Viking Fan says:

I completely disagree that in some situations of blind faith the end result is the same.

I figured you would

• True Viking Fan says:

That’s too bad because you more or less just admitted to being just another sheep in the herd. Leaders are never just followers of the herd and I think you have something to make you more than just part of the beast. I think you sound like you have what it takes to be much more than what you are as long as you stop just being part of the majority. At ten years old i started to invest with the advice of my parents and at 42 I retired. Had I followed the majority I’d be just working along getting the same results as the majority.

I hope the government takes half your wealth, would serve you right

11. Adam Warwas says:

Hahaha, what!?! I admitted that when?

I’m sorry, but you are bringing this across a line where if I respond too much then I will become an ungracious host… I was hoping for more of an intelligent discussion than an irrational attack of character and a bunch of pep talks.

I did send you an email last night, was hoping you would respond.

For now I am done having this conversation on the message boards.

Adam, block this clown, he is a meathead. He’s not worth your time or mine.

13. CalVkg says:

TVF? condescending and arrogant come to mind

the problem with chilly is his personality, he’s bland. you need a HC to inspire and motivate a team. sure don’t wanna see another SB loss