Would You Take Him Back?

That’s my question of the day for all of you.

Mr. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk recently wrote about his theory that Randy Moss wants to be back in Minnesota, and that Favre could help make that happen next season, and that Moss in Minnesota would mean that Favre stays another year, and Obama ends all wars everywhere.

Okay, he didn’t say that last part.

While Florio seems to suggest a rather rosy scenario that seems about as far fetched as BigJohnny never uttering the word “crow” again, it is an interesting scenario.

Here is the bit, which can be read here, in its entirety:

7.  We think Moss wants to be in Minnesota.

In less than a week, Patriots receiver Randy Moss has been exposed as a malcontent who by all appearances is no longer interested in giving his all to help his team win.

Excuse me while I check the calendar — it all of a sudden feels like 2006 again.  Or maybe it’s 2004.  Or perhaps it’s December 2001, when he first uttered the phrase, “I play when I wanna play.”

But we can’t blame Moss for acting in a manner consistent with his makeup.  He’s a supremely gifted athlete, with the attention span of a nine-year-old.

And when his attention strays, he can’t — or won’t — flip the switch.

So now Patriots fans are waking up to the warning that Mike Freeman sounded back in September, when he noticed not much “wanna play” in Randy during a Week Three game against the Falcons.

At the time, Freeman was villified for suggesting that Moss might be retreating to his true nature.  And we took a lot of flak as well for daring to suggest that Moss’ eyes might have strayed back to Minnesota, where something special is happening for the first time since his first season there.

The events of the last five days have convinced us that Moss wants out of New England.  The next question is whether he has his next destination in mind.

After the 2007 season, when he became a free agent and no one broke the bank for him, Moss accepted a three-year, $27 million deal to stay with the Patriots.  The Eagles were the only other team seriously pursuing him, but they’ve since added DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin via the draft.

Even though Vikings coach Brad Childress (who surely bears a few scars on his soul based on a couple of seasons with T.O.) probably wouldn’t want Moss, quarterback Brett Favre could persuade “Chilly” to chillax on this one, and to trust Brett to be able to push the buttons necessary to get — and to keep — Randy’s head in the game.

Indeed, it would be another chapter in Favre’s “stick it to Ted Thompson” trophy case; Favre reportedly lobbied Thompson aggressively to trade for Moss in 2007, but Thompson refused to do it.

Sure, Moss eventually would once again become a pain in the butt.  But for one year, if the team if winning and if he’s getting the ball and if he’s genuinely beloved (as he surely would be if he comes back to the Twin Cities), it could work.

And he knows it could work.

And that could be one of the reasons why it’s currently not working for him in New England.

So, chat it out folks.  What would it take to get Moss?  Would you like to see the Vikes give that up?  Who does he displace on the depth chart?  Would Berrian be packaged in the deal?  How much would you pay a guy like Moss?  Would it have added value if it meant Favre was going to stick around?

Let’s hear it.

135 Responses to “Would You Take Him Back?”

1. Tomb says:

The ultimate no-brainer to me. How easy it would be to reach in the closet and grab my Moss jersey and pretend the dust on the shoulders was never there.

Berrian isn’t even a poor man’s Moss. Too fragile and doesn’t seem to stretch the field as advertised. If we could keep him WITH Moss, it wouldn’t break my heart, but…

Moss/Rice/Harvin/Shiancoe with Favre throwing at them and AD/Chester in the backfield with an O-Line that is a little more seasoned? Man, my Viking horn wouldn’t be flaccid the entire year.

Adam was that a shot at me? First question, what’s Moss’s contract situation? Will he be a free agent or will it take a trade? I think he would be better than Bernie. But you’d probably have to hire CC to look after him.

Next year would be his contract year, so it would take a trade most likely.

Florio says in the article above that the deal was $27 million for three years… assuming it was backloaded, perhaps a $10 million cap hit?

Berrian seems like the type of player that Bilichek might find useful in a trade. Younger than Moss. I don’t know that it would take much more than Berrian to get Moss straight up… Bilichek is always thinking about the future.

Remember, Berrian’s contract was extremly front loaded, so while his contract was deemed “over paying” it would not cost us (or the Patriots) too much to keep him around.

3. TheJazzyOne says:

IN A HEARTBEAT!

Holy cow that would make me a happy happy man

4. Tomb says:

Also on PFT:

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 14, 2009 1:29 PM ET
    The Patriots may not have Adalius Thomas’ back, but their support of Randy Moss is unequivocal.

First, Tom Brady defended his receiver Monday morning. Patriots coach Bill Belichick did the same at his press conference.

Asked about Carolina’s assertion that Moss gave up during the game, Belichick said, “That’s a lot of conversation from a team that just lost another game.”

Belichick went on to say how much he respects his star receiver.

“I have a lot of respect for Randy,” Belichick said. “I think he’s one of our best players and I think if you watch other teams defend him and watch other teams play against him, they think the same way — other than these two guys from Carolina after they lost another game. I guess they don’t think that way. They haven’t won a lot of games now.”

5. Fran the Man says:

In a New York minute! Favre and Moss should have happened a couple years ago in Green bay (Glad it didn’t.)

I’d say next year would be the last year we’d see this pair on the same team. Just don’t see Favre playing a 3rd year for us.

We sure have the trade stock (Don’t forget, Billechek was REAL pissed when we claimed Mills off his practice squad)
    Mills, Greg Lewis and Chester for Moss??
    Too much?
    Chester and a #2 draft pick?

If there is ANY way to make it happen, HELL YES, go make it happen.

Fran, our time frame to trade Chester has already come and gone.

Chester would never re-sign with the Vikes if he thought the Vikes were going to immediately shop him… and I don’t blame him… that’d be a shady thing to do.

Chester is a free agent this year, so we either re-sign him or let him walk… he is no longer a trade option.

Fran, wont Chester be a free agent? I dont see Mills or Lewis being high value trade prospects. I agree 2010 is the only chance for the Favre to Moss combo. I would love to see it.

6. Fran the Man says:

And don’t get me wrong, Taylor is one of my favorite players and I’d hate to see him go but don’t forget we also have a pretty good back up on the P.S in Ian Johnson and of course Albert Young (Myself, I like Johnson better) Taylor should hasve a ton of trade value at the end of the season and it just makes too much sense not to take advantage of it.

7. Fran the Man says:

Well damn! I didn’t know that!

But it’s like a very old friend of mine said to me one day (And this guy is VERY old)

“Richard, there’s a whole hell of a lot of things you don’t know!”

8. Tomb says:

Crow.

That is all.

9. Fran the Man says:

Well one thing is certain; Chester is going to get a well-deserved pay day next year.

10. CO Vike Fan says:

wow, can’t believe the Moss love here. Can you say frontrunner? The minute adversity hits he’d be back to his old and current ways. This locker room is united and we have some great young recievers. Patriots can keep the aging receiver that relies on his speed and pouts like my 4 year old.

But then again, it sure would be fun seeing those 80 yard strikes. He’d have to come CHEEEAAP, and don’t think that’ll happen.

11. Fran the Man says:

Oh, there’s much more than just Crow for all you naysayers. Things like a side of Moose turds and Ptarmigan poop. Caribou antler, sliced thin & BBQed. A liitle sprinkle of the small downy feathers that hang around the vent area on Grey Jays. . .All kinds of side dishes you guys can eat to wash down that awful taste of crow.

I’ve actually eaten one of the thigns mentioned above… I’ll keep you guessing as to which one it was 😉

• Tomb says:

hmm…is this a metaphor for older chicks?: “A liitle sprinkle of the small downy feathers that hang around the vent area on Grey Jays”

Though admittedly, I’ve never heard it called the “vent area.”

• Fran the Man says:

My guess is a moose turd. Swallowed accidently when said moose turd was on the end of tooth pick, used for stirring your drink (It’s an Alaskan thing.)
        Or maybe you just like ’em?

• Fran the Man says:

Just curious Adam but why do some of the comments not have a “Reply to this comment” under them. For instance, Tombs comment about metaphor for old chicks (And no Tomb, it’s not about old chicks, although there’s nothing wrong with that)

When it’s not there, how does a guy comment to that particular post?

Fran, I think it’s a matter of it only lets you go to deep. For instance, Tomb can comment on a comment that Fred made about your comment.

However, Johnny cannot comment on the comment that Tomb made about Freds comment about your comment.

Clear? Thgouht so… 🙂

12. CO Vike Fan says:

On Chester, he is a true pro and extremely valuable on this team, but don’t think the Vikes could get much for a trade. No one wants to pay up for a 30 year old running back, that’s like what, 75 in running back years?

Vikes need to try to keep him at a reasonable number, or learn to live without him if he commands big dollars in FA market. Adrian in the backfield and Percy in the slot isn’t a bad 3rd down combination either.

crow, crow, crow, crow, how do you like your crow?

I’m suprised Freds hast put his 2cents in yet. Would like to hear his take on this.

Hey guys 3 more comments on the previous thread puts it at 100. If anyone is looking for a milestone post.

Freds 2 cents.

That really isn’t fair, Freds should elaborate on his point:

HELL NO!

18. Tomb says:

I think my old pal Freds wants change back on his two cents.

Freds you didn’t like Banjo Brett either, if I recall correctly? …or Cheech Harvin?

I’m just sayin.

Tomb, what side of the fence were you on with the Favre and Harvin deals?

That’s an interesting point… I was also unhappy with those two guys (crow blah blah crow)… but would be in favor of Moss.

I’ve been wrong so much now that I am thinking we should do the opposite of what i say.

• Tomb says:

LOL…use the Costanza method?

My kneejerk reaction on Favre and Harving was “no,” until I gave it some thought, then I jumped on board within a week of talking about it.

But I’m not going to go tootin’ my horn on those two, as I was PISSED when they drafted Adrian Peterson.

Plus I also thought the Vikes would lose this weekend.

Wow, come to think of it, I mostly suck at predictions.

Eh, it happens 🙂

• starrc10 says:

You know who doesnt suck at prediction. Coach Grant… its like he knows. Do you think he could be Eric Magnusonof the Minnesota Supreme Court? Or perhaps he is Ed Hochuli? Maybe he really is Bud Grant, he probably has some free time when hes not lazing around at Winter Park telling Childress to grow a beard? Eh? Eh?

Crow.

Just what the Vikes need a quitter who doesn’t block down field. That should really help the run game.

Now if the Pats want to trade for Bernie Berrian, we have something to talk about. Give the Pats Freds old pal Bernie “the Glass” Berrian and send back to us, well…nothing and we’ll call it even. If that is asking too much, we can throw in Mills as well.

Freds it seems to me that when Moss was here, he blocked downfield. Iknow there’s no guarantees but blocking for AD is probably a little different than blocking for Pats running backs. I suggested they should bring in CC to look after him and keep him in line.

“I play when I want to play”. Freds is pretty sure Randude wasn’t referring to looking forward to spending the day blocking for Adrian.

21. Adam Warwas says:

Regardless of whether or not there is an uncapped year, the Vikings cash will be limited… and I’d rather see them spend it elsewhere. I am more than satisfied with our young recieving group.

Even with Berrian. Like I said, we paid the lion’s share of his contract last season… so if he gets bumped down the depth chart by a guy like Jaymar or Darius then woo hoo!

Berrian has had an injury riddled year, but can still have an impact when healthy.

I never thought I would say this, but I would also say no to Moss. But I wouldn’t cry if he came back, giving the Pats VERY little compensation, AND at a cheaper contract price.

Freds would welcome Welker, now that guy has got a pair…

AKs –

Did you miss not sitting in the captain’s chair of the VG Chat Space module this weekend? Freds missed your insight during a fun game to watch. The boys looked good didn’t they? Tony was really amazing.

We need o linemen badly. Banjo was running for his life way too often, especially early. Here’s to hoping the Vikings restock the medicine cabinets at Winter park with Gellcaps or Starcaps or whatever…

I did miss it, for sure. We’ll be back on with the live chat this Sunday though, unless I get eaten by a Polar Bear because Tomb shoots me int he knee.

The O-Line is an issue. Hutch is hurting so he should be fine next year. Loadholt just needs to clean up the rookie mistakes and he’ll be fine. I like Herrera quite a bit.

If we could get a mid round first rounder for McKinnie I’d be fine with that.

I’m not sure Sully is the future. He’s been fine, but if we can get a mauler of a center then I’d be game. Sully’s size is becomming an issue I fear.

• Fran the Man says:

Boy howdy on Sullivan. Definately the weakest link this last game on the O-line, even with Loadholts jumpyness. He seems to be just a tad too slow for the quick guys and the really big guys just seem to handle him.
        He plays smart though and makes his blocking assignments most times but yeah, is he the real deal we need at center?

• starrc10 says:

He did get poned a few times by the NT, even I noticed that…

24. CO Vike Fan says:

Ahh, Constanza method. Think of Chili and the coaches in game planning session, trying to out-think the opposing coach:

Should we pound Adrian or let Brett sling it?

Tell everyone Winfield has a broken foot or keep them guessing?

Develop our young players or ask Andy Reid if he’s got some good cast-offs?

Look for a QB for the future or count on Brett and T Jack for the next 10 years?

25. jeege says:

It looks like this has been pretty well debated already, but I’d like to throw my two cents in.

With an almost certainly uncapped year ahead of us, it will behoove organizations with owners who like to sign checks to pay big money for free agents that catch their eye, or trade for/add pieces that wouldn’t be available cap in place.

Moss is the kind of piece I’m talking about and Zygi is the kind of owner who could (and absolutely SHOULD) make this kind of purchase. Those with long memories will recall that there was a stretch of time (his first three years in the league or so) in which Randy Moss was simply un-coverable. And I don’t mean that in a cool, blogtastic word kind of way. I mean he: Could. Not. Be. Covered. If he wanted a touchdown, he was going to get it. If he liked the route he was running or the guy throwing him the ball or the guy calling the plays, he would excel everyone on the field. And he played that way for New England two years ago.

But, like T.O., it’s only a matter of time before someone like Moss lets his true character shine to the surface. He wants out, he’ll get out. Vikings fans know this all too well.

If the Vikings are smart they’ll take him. Only for one season. One last hurrah with a hall of fame QB. That’s all we would need. Randy would probably even block and play like a champion because he would be inspired to do so by a Favre lead Vikings team.

I wouldn’t like him. I’ve never liked him. But I know, because I’ve seen, how effective he can be for a football team. And I say we’d be crazy not to take him into the fold if he’s available.

The only thing i would say is that an uncapped year is not all it is cracked up to be… there are still rules in place as to how much a team can increase their spending, how much an individual player’s contract can increase, and many other little rules that will prevent it from being the free-for-all that it is aadvertised as.

Also, if Zygi makes no headway with the legislature in February (right before free agency) he may opt to not spend another dime.

• Fragile Freds says:

Interesting points Jeeges. However, currently Randy is playing for one of the most elite QBs in football history, for a team that has already won multiple superbowls, for a great owner…but he needs Brett Farve to make him want to play? Why would this hall of fame QB work for Randy when his current hall of fame QB won’t? Is it the fact that they are both southern boys? He likes Wrangler Jeans? He’s currently in his last hurrah and sucking this one up by giving 50%. Brady is much better than Farve, Randy can’t ask for more. If Randy gave his all, he would be the best ever. That will never happen.

If this was the Randy Moss of his first few years, this discussion would be simple. However Randy is a front runner, when the going gets tough, Randy checks out, wants out, pouts etc…

Send him to Buffalo with that other jackass T.O.

Harsh.

The guy is the 2nd best of all time in most categories. ALL TIME.

I’m not saying the Vikes acquiring him would be a great idea… but the media over-reacting to this notion is ridiculous.

He is currently 13th in the league with catches, 6th in yards, and tied for fourth in TD’s.

A few Panthers open their yappers and we punce on him? The media and fans sure love to hate on this guy at any given chance.

How much longer do they have to decide? I thought time was getting short.

Time is getting VERY short… any more hesitation (from the State AND the Wilfs, blame is equal in my eyes) and we’ll probably be kissing our beloved team goodbye.

How good are the chances that the Vikes leave? I would think at the 11th hour someone will flinch and something gets done. Thats what I’m hoping for. Of course I suppose the Alaska Vikings has a nice ring for you and Fran

Not sure on the chances, Johnny. Nobody is. Depends how much flinching goes on, who is the flincher, and how much they flinch.

I don’t know that the Ed Roski in L.A. thing is actually as done of a deal as he lets on. From what I’ve heard, all of his money is tied up in California real estate and that is how he is planning to pay for his NFL franchise.

So, would Wilf (a very smart business man) be willing to trade the Vikes for a ton of dirt in a bankrupt state? I don’t know.

The issue is starting get warm again, and will get downright scorching after the season ends. The gambling aspect seems to be the Vikings best chance, but they hate to admit it.

Alaska can barely support pop warner football programs… an NFL franchise is probably about 350 years away 🙂

Good point about moving to California. No smart businessman would move their business there. Alot are bailing out of there, dont blame them.

• jeege says:

Speaking as one of the ones who bailed out, Wilf will not touch California real estate if that truly is Roski’s plan.

Wilf made his millions being a savvy real estate mogul and he’ll know toxic assets when he sees them.

No, if anything, the Jags will be the ones moving…the question for the Vikings ownership will be whether there are other states that want them…and then decide if it is fiscally viable to do so.

And there will be plenty of options.

The only hope to keep the Vikings is if the legislature gets some sort of deal done.

Jeege, how bad is it in California? I just know what I see in the news and that looks awful.

“A few Panthers open their yappers and we pounce on him?”

Hey, It was only a boat ride and Freds got run out of town!

• Tomb says:

pppsssttt Freds, those were cougars, not panthers.

…or were they grey jays with unshaven vent areas?

Hell I dunno. Nevermind.

• Fran the Man says:

Ok, a little Avian biology for you Tomb.
        The “Vent” area is the area around the cloaca, just behind the legs. Other words, the ‘ol poop shoot.

So geez, I gues you could some how include that in the conversation about old women, cougars, etc. . .would be quite a disgusting conversation but I guess if you’d want to, you could work in.

Freds I think it was the manifesto you had on the boat that got you run out of town. Or it could be the fact that you couldnt cover or tackle. Not sure which it was?

Frans just stealthily snuck into below thread and got the milestone post.

30. Tomb says:

Wish I could, but I got nuthin’

31. Brett says:

I think everyone is forgetting thee power of Randy Moss. All he has to do is walk of the field early, get a few fines for off-the-field activity, and tell Belichick he’ll only play when he wants to play and then…. BAM! They’ll want to trade Randy Moss for… Cook or someone…

I would take Randy back in a heartbeat. He BELONGS in Minnesota.

Fran I saw your question on “reply to comment”. You just go to the first reply to comment under the name and click there and that will put your comment in line with the others

33. Adam Warwas says:

Just saw Jake Locker is staying in school… one less of the top QBs in this draft… more reason for a team to reach on Tebow 😉

They do have a first round pick, dont they? We have got to make sure Tebows goes in the first.

I don’t think we have much of a say in that, Johnny… seing as we don’t, you know, own a football team.

Yes, they have a first rounder… I mocked Tebow to them last week. Rumor has it the NFL owners have a “gentleman’s agreement” to allow Tebow to go to the Jags in order to help out the financially miserable team.

I thought All the coaches and player personel read your mock drafts and read all comments here. You havent posted that gentlemans agreement before, have you? Oh shoot I gotta go, my son has BB game tonight. I’ll check in later. Post who got the milestone on this thread so I’ll know. Its getting pretty close.

35. Tomb says:

It’s weird the Jags have so much interest in a future transitioned second string TE who’ll be injured his first year.

So much hate for Tebow… geesh.

He’s going to make it in the NFL, I think.

• Tomb says:

That’s right, I hate you Tim Tebow. I hate everything about you, and would like to challenge you to a duel.

Not really. No hate for Tebow, I just see Jamarcus Russel without the size or armstrength written all over him.

And without the boxes of doughnuts. And bad attitude. And desire to not desire anything. And poor work ethic. And flab.

• Tomb says:

Geeze Adam, awfully touchy about your Tebow my man!

But touche, you are correct about that.

No, I just disagree with all of the Tebow criticisms… the guy simply is too good with too much attention paid to him, and thus people make a huge deal out of small flaws, or potential flaws.

They need to be taken into consideration, but so does his coachability and drive, and unwillingness to let himself fail.

Freds is spot on about his fundamentals, especially his wind up, which are more valid criticisms than what you hear from most people. But still, his coachability means that you could mold him however you like, IF you are a good coach.

Too much upside.

• Tomb says:

Welllllllllll…..here’s the thing, Rudy was coachable, likable, hand plenty of heart, drive etc. but I wouldn’t draft him first round.

Tebow has the production… Rudy didn’t.

Tebow – combination of JaMarcus Russell and Samwise Gamgee.. quite the scouting report, lol.

Be careful Tomb, we don’t know who his agent is yet, but that agent might just have you killed

😉

• Tomb says:

Wow, yeah I guess that IS pretty much the high and low of my scouting report. HA!

I assumed Tebow’s agent was J.C. himself?

Well, in that case you are forgiven 🙂

36. Tomb says:

I’m not a huge college football guy by any stretch, but as long as were talking snubs and not enought credit, I agree with other west coasters, Toby Gerhart deserved the Heisman.

I know very little about college football. I know they need a playoff. Its not a real sport without one.

Yea I take Moss back. BUT, can you imagine him and Harvin together. Off the field. That would never work out.

It’s not gonna happen, and even if it did, it would lead to disaster.

Dang! Thought I had it.

40. Fran the Man says:

HA!! cc trying to sneak in there like the old days.

If Tombs and Tebow had a fist fight, Freds would put his money on Tombs. Tombs may not be as coachable as Tebow, but with that slow ass windup Tebow’s got, Tombs could eat a ham sandwich between the time Tebow cocked his arm and delivered a punch.

AKs –

Where do you figure Colt McCoy to go in this draft? Is he a senior?

43. Nume says:

Once USC started losing I stopped watching college football… till my old college Nebraska was playing texas for the Big 10 title, but of course they lost too… college football has not been kind to me this year :P.

How is it last week the Cardinals played flawless football and tonight they have 6 turnovers? Guess they used up all their good luck last week

45. Fran the Man says:

Hello test.

Your comment was a bit too short. Please go back and try again.

That’s what I get when I post “Hello test.”

46. Jason says:

Absolutely!!! I’m 20, so Randy was my favorite player from age 8 to my teenage years. This would be the perfect way for Randy to go out, wearing the old purple, white, and gold 84 jersey, the only one he should have worn his whole career