What To Say About That

First off, let me say that in eight days the season starts anew and that a three or four game winning streak is all they will need to put together a Championship run.

That being said, there are plenty of issues that have come about in the last four weeks that need to be addressed in order for such a post-season run to become reality.

The loss tonight brings to mind two basic themes:  consistency and missed opportunities.

Consistency

• Brett Favre was 26 of 40 for 321 yards and 2 touchdowns with no picks.  His game started out pretty pedestrian, throwing multiple errant passes and losing a fumble when he should have had a little more awareness.  He also tried to throw a pass to right guard Anthony Herrera which resulted in a 10 yard intentional grounding penalty.  His fourth quarter heroics seemingly willed the Vikings to a potential victory, but he was also lucky to not have multiple throws picked off.  Consistency is key.
  • The offensive line was frustrating today with their inconsistency.  At times they were opening big holes for the running backs and fiercely protecting Favre.  On other occasions they looked completely overmatched by the Bears hodge-podge defense.
  • Adrian Peterson was having one of his best weeks this year before his overtime and game-losing fumble.  He had 94 yards and 2 touchdowns on 24 rushing attempts, as well as 3 catches for 43 yards.  His fumble, however, is just another example of an inconsistency that this team needs to tighten up.
  • Bernard Berrian led the team with 58 receiving yards, but dropped a potential touchdown pass in the open field.
  • Special Teams was all over the map in this game.  They gave up a giant return that set up a touchdown for the Bears and they allowed an extra point to be blocked that would have been the difference in the game.  On the other hand, Percy Harvin provided some fun returns and Jamarca Sanford had a superb hit on punt coverage.
  • Cedric Griffin had the lone interception for the Vikings on a very heads up play and also made a number of solid tackles, but he was also burned on multiple passes including two touchdowns.
  • It is nice to have Antoine Winfield back but his performance tonight was incredibly spotty… and that’s being nice.  He got burned on the game-losing touchdown, which was just the last of many poor plays for ‘Toine.
  • Ben Leber was all over the field making tackles and had a pair of defended passes which continued what has been a stellar season for him.  The negative aspect here is that Leber’s two defended passes each could have very easily been intercepted.  This falls under the category of missed opportunities.
  • Jared Allen also missed opportunities tonight, as he faced a single blocker almost all evening.  He registered two tackles and no sacks despite the favorable matchup.  Also, where is the rest of the defensive line at?
  • Jasper Brinkley had a better game this week, and registered 6 tackles.  His coverage skills leave a lot to be desired, however.
  • The play-calling was improved over last week, but there was still plenty of head-scratchers.  Unwillingness to blitz on defense and stubborness on offense may very well end up being this team’s downfall.

So there you have it.  The Vikes have lost control of the #2 seed due to nothing more than inconsistencies and missed opportunities across the board.

There will be more to come soon.

25 Responses to “What To Say About That”

1. Adam Warwas says:

I would also like to give a big “welcome!” to my long, lost friend Krug! I saw you in the comments section a few posts back… and I’m thrilled to see you here at the Gab!

Grab a Colt, grab a seat, make yourself comfy!

2. CalVkg says:

the bad – the vikes lost to a couple of 5-win teams for 6 qtrs.

the good – the vikes turned it on for the last 2 qtrs. (forget OT)

let Favre call his own game. hell, make him the coach when he really retires

playing like this, there’ll be no SB ring and we’re stuck with Chilly and his new contract, no QB after Favre, and no stadium

the Lakers lost tonight, too. that might not be the only thing the two have in common soon

Interesting take, cal… the window appears to be closing. More Chili, no QB, no stadium… all that in addition to certain members of this team getting too old.

Bleak outlook there.

3. briano29 says:

Adam – no wonder you have a blog and I don’t. Very well put. Not blitzing till we’re behind on defense frustrates me. Winfield obviously not 100%. Special teams lost this game for us. Bat punt. Huge return yardage. Missed extra point. Clean that up and we’re talking about Favre doing it again like vs. SF. . . .

4. briano29 says:

BAD punt . . . although it DID look like a bat punt .

5. KevinWI says:

Did anyone miss the fact that AD was pretty severely facemasked on fumble? May have had a bit to do with it….we still got torched on special teams and pass D.

6. olderthandirt says:

As much as I like AD’s intensity when he runs ……. I just can’t understand why he doesn’t cover up the ball when he gets in a crowd of tacklers. I have watched Percy, a rookie, and it’s almost automatic for him to cover up the ball with his other arm when he’s about to be hit. Such an easy thing to do, but Adrian just won’t bring himself to do it. Another possible drive and game lost because of that. I put a lot of that on the coaches not stressing this to him.

That and the fact that it took to the middle of the third quarter to “feel” an urgency to this game. Again our Vikings throw away a golden opportunity to control their own destiny. Such are the vissisitudes of being a Minnesota Viking’s fan. What’s new???

I really can’t imagine how much worse our safeties could play. We have nothin’ at all in those two spots right now. Can’t read, react, or tackle.

Meanwhile, the Bears had two no-name rookies at safeties, and we did not throw at them once in the first half (wait – except for the drop by Berrian).

8. Ole says:

the second half proved that the players can play

the first half proved that the coaches can’t coach

9. CO Vike Fan says:

Well said by all, bad special teams, bad tackling, inconsistent O line play. And can someone on the D line please make a play?

I can find one bright spot – the Vikes probably improved their draft position in Adam’s mock 8.0…

Ole, I agree with that on the offensive side of the ball. But we got handled in both halves on defense, players and coaches. We should score 30 on the Bears. We should not come close to allowing the Bears to score 36. We allowed 16 in the first half, 14 in the second half, and 6 in OT… to the CHICAGO BEARS, quarterbacked by Jay-throw-it-and-see-what-happens-Cutler. Inexcusable.

And then there are the Special Teams…

11. olderthandirt says:

Touche’ Ole!!! You hit the nail on the head. We pounded the Bear’s butt in the first game, because that’s what they gave us, yet we insisted on getting the ball to AD the first half, for what?? A whopping 28 yards I think. And again the offensive line was offensive the first half. Even the Browns and Detroit had success against it early in the year.

I don’t see it or our secondary holding up in the playoffs.

(Unless of course this is a ploy by Chilly to throw everyone off. Sshhhhhhhh!!! Don’t tell anyone!!)

12. olderthandirt says:

I agree coach!! No way our defense should have allowed four td passes by Cutler. I really thought they had their stride back when we played the Bengals, but I guess that was just wishful thinking.

I hope they can prove me wrong in the upcoming games.

The posts are truthfully Sad,
    I guess it now boils down to the Cowboys winning and the Vikes winning next week to get the 2nd seed. Cowboy are breaking that Decemember trend, So we still have a good chance for the 2nd seed.

They really need that 2 weeks to Rest and Straighten out all 3 phases,
    I really wish Zugi Wilf would have waited till the end of the complete season, To make his decision on the extension… Maybe it wouldn’t have mattered???

And Coach,
    Your right, Inexcusable…

14. krugjr says:

Adam…..thanks for the welcome!

was too upset to join in last night, during or after the game…..of ALL the thoughts and comments, I believe Ole said it best…players showed they CAN play, coaches showed they CAN’T coach…..all the little things that shape a game and it’s outcome…change one, and a win becomes a loss or a loss becomes a win……but owners and GMs and head coaches make it all work, and “we’ve” been saying for three years, give childress 22 pro bowlers and he’ll lose the big games…..my point: this game played out, and was lost, IMHO, during the week leading up to kick-off with all the distractions about Brad and Brett….SOMETHING happened during the Panther game that brought the tension between Brad and Brett to a head…..my guess is Brad, with his contract extension and “safe” position, threw his weight around and Brett didn’t like it (short version)…..someone said it last night I believe, “let Brett call the whole game, hell, let him coach the team”…….I’ve been saying that since the 4th or 5th game…after all, this was a one time shot with Favre, win it all or win nothing, so why not put it all on Brett’s shoulders and ride the wave…….somewhere deep down inside I get this feeling that Brett KNOWS he could run this team better than Brad, and it’s coming to the surface this month……..you can say defense, special teams, offense, play calling, luck, weather, playing surface, HCs have the power, players can’t run the show, all of the above….but a “team” has to play together to overcome weaknesses, and Brett had them playing with passion…and then this team stopped playing with that passion this last month, and it all starts and ends with ownership, head coach/GM, and a vision of how a season comes together……this season is now doing just the opposite….it is falling apart!

boy, am I making up for missed time…..

GO VIKES!!!!!

• Purple Charlie says:

Hi Krugjr, Nice to meet ya
      I’m still upset and will be for a couple days, Feel the pain…Went out to shovel driveway and vent my frustrations, Hear somebody say something about the Vikes, Look up and see a guy sporting the Viking colors, Vented to each other…

I just hope they can get things straighten out real soon…

• krugjr says:

Charlie…….and a hello back to you…..yep, sharin’ the frustrations…..even my wife of 15 yrs, who doesn’t know football but knows the ups and downs of a Purple fan, sat with me, allowed me to explain the importance of the game, and ended up with an upset stomach at the end…….every year she asks, “why do you do this to yourself?”……as Vikings fans, we ask ourselves that same question!

GO VIKES!!!!!

• krugjr says:

Charlie – quick follow-up, wife did say, “why don’t the Vikes cut the top off the dome so they can get tough again”……interesting thought from a non football person!

• Purple Charlie says:

That’s funny lol,
        I bet Coach would like that idea, I kinda like it myself… Our roots… Quick note, My wife felt sorry for me, Colts fan.

She said if it was a Colts-Vikings Superbowl She would root for the Vikes, She is the Best!!!
        Later

15. briano29 says:

I hate counting on the Cowboys for anything.

16. Fozz44 says:

The play calling has been atrocious for the better part of 3 years…..but the stars showed up in the 2nd half to put a bit of confidence in fans that they can and will step up.

The defense, however, left absolutely NOTHING to be optimistic about. The corners got beat badly over and over again. The safeties, as someone mentioned above, were atrocious and provided no contribution. The defensive lines’ only shining moment was a Brian Robison sack. Allen/ Williams/ Edwards have been non-existent for a few weeks now. The overall coverage scheme was so terribly flawed….rush 4, and have WIDE open receivers all night.

IF these guys are going to go anywhere, someone needs to step up on the defensive side of the ball and start making some plays.

17. Fran the Man says:

I read somewhere else a person wondering whether or not this team hates Childress so much, that they’re laying down on him.
    It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if that were true. The guy is SO unlikable!
    Now that he has his extension, he hasn’t a care in the world and as krugjr said, maybe he is throwing his weight around and the players don’t like it.

I am so pissed off at Wilf for doing this.
    Against ALL advice, he extends this moron’s contract BEFORE he has done ANYTHING to warrant it. And don’t give me that “We’ve improved every year” crap. Anyone with a lick of sense could have this team where Childo “Has” it.

I’m not even sure where I’m going with this post. . .

Add in our OL woes and our lack of defense and all of a sudden, it just doesn’t look very promising for this year.
    Man it sucks to be a Viking fan.

• krugjr says:

Fran…….AMEN! the Wilfs haven’t shown a lot of football savey and the extension is just another example…should’ve gone the GM route….IF brad has jumped all over brett, then the players may be picking sides, and that, my friend, is how teams underachieve………here comes the “told you so” from the Favre haters, but please, not so fast…this one I put on the Wilfs and chilly, not on our MVP QB!

GO VIKES!!!!!