Shop for Minnesota Vikings gear at Fanatics.com

Vikings Open as 3 Point Favorites

The opening line in Vegas for next Sundays 1:00 PM game between the Dallas Cowboys and the Minnesota Vikings at the Mall of America Metrodome is Minnesota ( + 3 ).

The over/ under is placed at 47 ½.

Since last night, odds makers have adjusted the line to Minnesota ( 2 ½ ) due to unequalled betting on the Cowboys in the last 12 hours.

It should be noted that the lines uses are not a reflection of who Vegas thinks will win or by how much, but rather reflect the way that the odds makers use the numbers to balance how people bet.

Vegas likes to keep the sheer number of bettors fairly evenly spread between two teams. That is how they maximize their profits. Bookies don’t get the bulk of their profits when a bettor loses. Their profits come from the 10 % cut that winning bettors are required to pay back. This cut of the profits is called the “Juice”.

By moving the line up and down, odds makers can manipulate which direction the public will lay their money. The ideal betting situation for the bookies is when the money is placed in a closely even distribution. That way Vegas doesn’t lose money when one side is heavily bet on and then that team gets “Upset”.

Vegas clearly prefers to spread the money relatively evenly while gaining 10% per winning bet on each and every wager. Bettors don‘t mind paying back 10 % when they gain on the other 90 % and Vegas makes that 10 % no matter which team is victorious.

– ( Nice Gig, huh ? ).


Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Vikings Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to del.icio.us  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

5 Responses to “Vikings Open as 3 Point Favorites”

  1. bigjohnny84 says:

    Helluva gig Chris. Almost sounds illegal.

  2. olderthandirt says:

    Apparently we are only getting homefield advantage and tbat’s it. Maybe the betting will turn back towards the Vikes when people realize that just being hot does not a champion make. You have to be good!!! Check ou the Pack-Cards game. 24-10 at the half.

    Vikes have to make sure they don’t turn the ball over and make some great special teams play.

    OH!!! And protect Brett and cover people in the secondary.

  3. olderthandirt says:

    Another good thought for the game. …………
    TACKLE!!!

  4. Fragile Freds says:

    Hey Packners, nice defense, you gave up over 50 points!!

  5. Purple Charlie says:

    Frosting on the cake this weekend was the Packer losing, HOW SWEET IT IS!!!

Leave a Reply