Rumors Fly Regarding Taylor

Now, only days before the start of free agency, the rumor mill would lead one to believe that I may get at least one prediction correct.

PFT pointed out that Taylor’s jersey has been reduced in price to match that of other former Vikings including Darren Sharper and Matt Birk.

Also, Access Vikings has caught wind of a rumor that suggests the Chicago Bears are prepared to offer Taylor a role in their offense that would allow him to at least compete for a starting gig… an opportunity Taylor will not get if he stays in Minnesota.

Other teams thought to have interest in his services are the Lions, Eagles, Chargers, and Seattle.

The more teams that express interest in Taylor the more tempted he will be to test the market.  Also, the more teams bidding for his contract the more he is likely to get paid, which means the Vikings will have that much more freedom in signing an unrestricted free agent of their own.

59 Responses to “Rumors Fly Regarding Taylor”

Chester’s body couldn’t hold up to the amount of carries he had the year prior to the one the Vikes signed AP. Fred’s guy was in tough shape by the end of the year. Here we are 3 seasons later, 31 years old…. Dude better pick a team where he won’t be the primary back.

But it’s all about the $$$$ who can blame Chester?

Fred likes the guy, hope he comes back, but your old pal won’t lose a lick of sleep if he doesn’t. It’s all part of the game. Slot a new guy in and let’s go!!

2. coolio says:

i like chester but im starting to beleive we should lt him go. brian westbrook is a good pass catching rb and could makeup for the loss of chester. then we can sign a good unrestricted free agent. I know this sounds stupid but how much do you think antoine bethea would want from the vikings to become a viking(assuming the colts let him go). Dont think im crazy its just speculation

I’m on board with liking Chester, It’s about the money, But it’s about the Ring, Will he fair better by leaving???

Plus I’m on board with Fred’s as far losing sleep, Plug a new one in…

Darren Sproles… hmmm

4. krugjr says:

why all the Sproles talk when we have Cheech???
    give me a bruiser, a pounder, a power runner to compliment our finesse…..

gonna be fun draft night #1, but 5 or 6 hrs is a long time to wait to pick the best fat man available!

GO VIKES!!!!!

• Purple Charlie says:

Krug, I ready for the draft too Bud , With ya on the fat man…

We already know Freds is, He’s been pushing it!!!

Krug, imagine the confusion one could cause to opposing defenses with Harvin and Sproles shifting in and out of the backfield and in and out of the slot… It’d help out our predictability for sure.

I’m a HUGE Sproles fan though (remember a guy named Gunslinger getting after me about that at OAV?) so take my praise with a grain of salt… it’ll never happen.

• krugjr says:

Adam…I do remember that…it went on and on for months!!!!!……..BUT………you need imaginative play calling to make that work…..vs chillyball??………AND…….I wish we could improve our 3rd & 1, and the 4th & inches success ratio….

GO VIKES!!!!!

That’s true… but even Chilly has found ways to use versatile players like Harvin, Shiancoe, Robison, etc,.

Freds, I only took one small bottle of steriod pills and they’ve been out of my system for years now. StarCaps is my thing now.

AK –

Fragile watched 20 seconds of the combine this weekend, Fred saw the full back from Kentucky run his 40. Dude wasn’t a speedster, but 5-11 246? This was scary looking full back. What do you know about him/

The only thing Freds knows about him is that he would look great on 3rd and 2, even if our line decided not to block…again. Late rounder?

Youa re talking John Conner… who I would be very happy with in the 6th or 7th round.

In a very shallow FB class, he’s once of about 3 guys that warrant using a pick on. Would be an upgrade to tahi, IMO.

• krugjr says:

laughin’ out loud, freds……..best line of the day….about lookin’ good even without blocking……..that’s the RB we need!

GO VIKES!!!!!

But can he catch the one yard swing pass?

Hey Adam, The guy you were talking about with Krug sounds familiar, Was he the Guy from California, The CA Gunslinger???

8. krugjr says:

like I said a couple weeks ago, I’m liking this #30 pick….29 teams will make our decision for us!!!!!

GO VIKES!!!!!

I agree, I honestly think that there will be 5 to 10 guys with first round potential still on the board when we draft.

Every time i do a mock and get to the Vikes #30 pick it is really hard to pick because there are quality prospects still on the board.

Would love to see them trade down about 10 spots and pick up another later pick.

If the Vikes played their cards right, they could get four picks in round two and three which would be golden.

Dang!

Freds just listen to Childo sing that song Bat Mastersons to EJ…. What the hell was that?!

AK…don’t ever do that again. Fred said he was sorry about the Alaska joke, that is just cruel.

Freds enjoyed Gunstinker, Fred could really pull his chain and set him off.

All Fred knows is that no matter who they draft in the first round, it will just so happen that they will have rated the guy they get as the highest guy on their board.

Freds needs to go watch a bunch of 4th grades play basketball. Let Fred guess, final score 6-4….sheesh.

• Purple Charlie says:

Wow That’s funny, You are so right with those comments lol …

I feel your pain Freds, last weekend I ran the scoreboard at a basketball tournament of youngsters and the first game was 0-0 at halftime and ended 8-6. Makes an easy job for the scorekeeper though.

11. starrS10 says:

Again, I love Taylor, and you know what they say, “If you love him let him go.”

I would miss him on our side, but would enjoy seeing him start somewhere else… As long as it’s not with the Bears.

Good observation, starrS10. You could cheer for CT with another team and enjoy watching.

Vike O can move in another direction. With Harvin available the changes may add something new. Better he moves out of Division but you can always enjoy watching him

Minnesota left tackle Bryant McKinnie says he has been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in both feet.

According to one of his Monday tweets, McKinnie said: “I have 2 get my feet taped for 3 days, do calf stretches, take this medicine 4 a week and hopefully it will be gone.”

According to the Mayo Clinic Web site, plantar fasciitis is sometimes confused with gout and/or Lisfranc separation. Plantar fasciitis or heel pain and involves “inflammation of a thick band of tissue, called the plantar fascia, which runs across the bottom of your foot — connecting your heel bone to your toes.”

Said McKinnie, “Ain’t no way its Anne Frank disease. I didn’t hear that and don’t want nothing to do with that B!tch”

Damn funny stuff there Lost, thanks.

• starrS10 says:

Wow… Thanks for calling Anne Frank a B1tch, McKinnie.

I just got done reading “Maus”and so I am extra pissed about this. What a D-Bag.

I don’t care if we play without a left tackle I never want to see this stupid mofo again.

oh geez, please tell me he didn’t actually say that… I can’t find anywhere confirming this, but if he did say it then please send a link.

Considering Zygi looks like he could very play Anne’s father in the play… I’d bet that would be the last straw.

Evans offer is $ 3,168 million which is about where CT was at. Assume Vike would have to go further to persuade Jahri to make the move. I’d give Saint the 1st and 3rd for Evans if I was convinced the corner situation was stable

Assuming CT decides to opt for Free Agency what would stop Vike from making a move on Jahri Evans, Right Guard – Saint. Let’s try that link again.

Lost,

Taylor and Evans are not related in any case. Whether or not Taylor leaves the Vikings are free to pursue Evans if they feel like it.

The first and third round pick might be enough to keep them from doing so, however. Jahri really has no say in the matter, as an RFA, and will go to the highest bidder… which will almost certainly be the Saints.

This is confusing. Evans will be tendered as a RFA. Don’t Viking have to get his signature on the contract BEFORE they can execute the trade?

Could Saint match a contract offer? He’s been tendered a $ 3.168 RFA offer. Didn’t think any player has to sign with a team that matches salary offer. This is not Transitional tag.

Viking can sign untendered players but not RFAs. Wasn’t the new rule something like Viking as a top 8 team had to lose a player from 2010 to Free Agency before they could enter the RFA pool?

This is 2nd year Evans has received a 1st round tender. Evan may have more impact on Vike running game than any running back.

Lost, the Vikes are not limited in their capacity to sign an RFA… just like every other team. It is UFA’s where the Final Four plan screws us.

And yes, Evans will have to sign the tender extended by the Vikes (if this were to happen, which it won’t) but 99% of NFL players will sign that offer instead of risking a one year tender from their current team.

Long term stability and cash flow is the name of the game.

17. […] Dan Morgan wrote a very interesting post today.   Here’s a quick excerpt:I have long stated that it makes sense for both parties if the Vikings and Chester Taylor separate this offseason. Now, only days before the start of free agency, the rumor mill would lead one to believe that I may get at least one … […]

18. VAVike says:

New to the site, been reading for a while. Love the viking chatter. I think Chester has been valuable, but has now priced himself out of our range. Letting him go will free us to sign a bigger need. If/when Thomas Jones is released, there is our answer. A veteran, best production of career last year, great pass protector, and he’d love to stick it to Chicago twice a year.

• starrc10 says:

I just don’t like the Jones idea. Someone pointed out the things he said about Favre and Jones earlier and I am of the same mind… he had some nasty stuff to say. Of course if they could sit down and say “this is why I said that…” and have an adult conversation they could make the team stronger. I like the Westbrook approach better, assuming he doesnt fetch a high price.

• starrc10 says:

Actually I would be alright with giving Ian and Albert along with whatever Flotsam and Jetsam comes our way during the offseason the chance to battle it out.

19. krugjr says:

welcome, VA…..hang around this year, I think you’ll have a good time…in fact I know you will….good point on Jones and da bears…

GO VIKES!!!!!

20. krugjr says:

maybe Jones will find a way to stick it to the Jets twice a year…..

21. Tony Pants says:

Sing Chester to a two year deal and then trade him to the Rayders for Gallery and then make Gallery the left tackal and then make Mckinley the center and bwaaaaaaaaaaaak its on tho the Superbowl!

22. Adam Warwas says:

Yes, welcome VA. Always great to have new people around. I hope you stick with us! I promise to do my best to make it worth your time.

And, I’m with you on Jones… but I also don’t see it happening. Helluva player but won’t get Brett too excited.

What a year… you know RBs are plentiful when L.T., Westbrook, Thomas Jones are all available and have had no takers yet.

• VAVike says:

I agree, the backs are plentiful. I do not believe Ian or Albert are ready to be the number 2 back. Third downs we can use Percy a little bit, but he was a great third down receiver. We need a veteran and I would rank them Jones, Tomlinson, and Westbrook. A run at at a Championship should entice any of them. Thanks again for the warm welcome.