Edwards Expected To Draw Some Interest

I was wondering when we would start to hear some serious talk about someone trying to snag one of the Vikings restricted free agents.  I thought Tarvaris Jackson would be first, but I was wrong.

Apparently the Eagles are expected to make a run at obtaining Edwards, and the *^!#@% Saints, too (sorry, still bitter).

I expected Edwards to draw some interest as soon as I heard the Vikings only tendered him at the first round level.  It makes sense.  Teams in desperate need of defensive ends should not think twice about giving up a first rounder for a semi-proven player that showed up big in the post-season.  There is a good chance they would spend a first rounder on the position anyways, and the chances of that draft prospect panning out is historically not great.

The Vikings, however, have pass rusher Brian Robison waiting in the wings.  Robison has been labeled as a “pass rush specialist” because of how the Vikings use him which has resulted in criticism when it comes to stopping the run.  I for one think the criticism is unwarranted and Robison would prove it if given the chance.

Look, Edwards has been a solid left end for the Vikings the last couple of years.  I’m not saying he hasn’t.  But his recent statements have made me wonder if he is a guy that fits the Viking mold.  He is obviously not happy that he was tendered and is never shy of criticizing anybody not named Ray.

I would perfectly content with having Robison starting at left end if it meant the Eagles were going to give us their 24th overall pick in the draft.  The Saints 32nd pick I would have to think about a little more.

In short, I think Edwards is talented but could be trouble in the future, and that the Vikings should take a first rounder for him and not look back if the opportunity comes about.

42 Responses to “Edwards Expected To Draw Some Interest”

I agree Adam. Goodbye Ray!

Ray Edwards played well last season, however, a 1st round draft choice is adequate compensation in a deep draft.

Edwards is entitled to be less than thrilled with his tender. However, he may also want to keep in mind Zygi’s treatment of Kenny Udezi.

3. SupaScout says:

Good D-ends can be hard to find. We drafted 2 first round D-ends this decade for a total of 100 games played, 4 starts, 16 sacks,and neither are on our team now. Don’t get me wrong I like B Robison but if we lose Ray we will just have to replace him and we haven’t had much luck drafting D-ends ever since the Underwood fiasco.

Freds doesn’t think that it is a matter of timing that Ray Ray became a good D end just as Jared Allen got here. Raymond gets significantly less attention on the weak side as teams pay so much attention to Mullet Man on the right side of the line.

This guy is a big mouth clown, he always will be. He is about Ray Ray and that’s it. His attitude and actions are very similar to a an over the hill running back that the Vikes hope to sign in the coming days who also is not in the “Vikings mold”.

Supas is right. We’ve wasted a ton of time and numberous pics on D end.

A number one pick is probably adequate, but the pick is too low in round one, we are too close to winning a Superbowl to screw around with Brian Robinson to find out he can’t do the job. At this time, we match the offer and tell Ray Ray to get back to work.

Let’s keep this team as is for one more year, it was good ride last year people, if not for poor execution we would have been in the Superbowl. This is not a position we need to upgrade right now. Ray Ray is a jackass but he’s not hurting the team with his actions, he is easily ignored.

5. VAVike says:

I agree with everyone above. I would mind if he stayed or went. Brian Robison and another could more than adequately do his job. On the other hand, don’t mess with what is working. We can always hope he reaches that potential, you know, “I’m goona break Michael Strahans sack record.” Since people are eyeing our RFA’s, why are we not looking at others….. i.e. CB Richard Marshal for a 2nd round to Carolina?

Ray is all about himself and seems like the type that always will, He likes to run his mouth, Guys let lose on him for his quotes about putting his life on the line as a example…

I remember discussions before about the team, We are so close (Freds). Ray is irritating at times but so is McKinnie.

Keep Edwards…

7. Todd Flaxton says:

The real question here is does Ray attend church on Sundays? I find it hard to believe that it is true. Let him go and then couple both first round picks to trade up in the round to draft a good Christian in Tim Teabow. The Vikings lost the champ game because the lord was not on they’re side. With Mister Teabow that would not be the case.

~Todd Flaxton, Deacon

8. Norseman66 says:

Here are some thoughts expanding on one of Adams’ earlier posts, let me know your opinion:

Let Edwards go to the Eagles for there #24 pick.
    Use that pick and snatch OT Jared Gaither of the Ravens.
    Give our 3rd round pick for OG Evan Mathis of the Bengals.
    Trade Mckinnie for 1st or even high 2nd round pick.

The end result, we just improved our O-line and made it much younger and solid for many years to come. We also end up having 3 picks in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft to address DT,CB and LB needs. LB has to be looked at because some of injuries and age.

Norseman, I for one love the idea. That would also remove the two biggest pains in the ass we have. Although I dont know if Gaither or Mathis will be a pain.

9. jeege says:

There is NO downside to this. In this draft, event he 32nd pick is an upgrade over the middling efforts of Ray Edwards.

Let’s please not forget that the guy takes off on 1 blocker every single game. The other’s on that line take up all the attention. In my opinion, he would have 20 sacks a season if he had any special talent. The guy is a good player. A decent player. But that’s it.

And in this draft…are you kidding me? In this draft, I’d take a second for him! A first is just too good to be true. Remember, the first and second rounds are like first rounds this year because of all the juniors.

The talent in those two rounds is just dripping with potential.

So hell yes! I’m all for it!

• Norseman66 says:

Jeege,

I totally agree. I would love if the Vikes could get 3 picks in the first 2 rounds. I’m envious of the Patriots. The have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. 1 1st and 3 2nds. Talk about be able to address some needs!

10. jeege says:

P.S. Norseman, I wish we were running the Vikings together. We are like brothers in our thinking!

It’s a Good Idea, Not knocking it But… The chemistry was excellent last year… Would it be as good with these two???

Then the Offensive and Defensive lines have to Jell again, It not like Back ups who are familiar with the lines.

I not saying it wouldn’t work,(Because it could) It is a big if due to the fact our team is right there as far as a championship…

Charlie, as far as chemistry, losing the two biggest jackasses on the team might very well help team chemistry, especially McKinnie. Cant believe he’s real popular with teammates these days. And Robison has alot better attitude and work ethic than Ray,Ray.

• Purple Charlie says:

Johnny- These 2 guys aren’t my favorites either, Allot Good Ideas today…

We’ll just see how it plays out. The Staff will have the last say on it…

Nobody have a better attitude and work ethic than Brian Robison, thats for sure!!!

12. VAVike says:

Norse your plan is perfect, but go for broke and give a second for CB Marshal from Carolina. You still have a 1, 2, 4, 2(5’s)

Could you imagine:
    Gaither Hutchinson Sullivan Mathis Loadholt
    Herrera Herrera Cook

CB’s

Marshal/Sapp/Winfield/Sapp/Griffin/Rookie

Maybe Winfield moves toward Safety, he already tackles better than both of them.

• Norseman66 says:

VAVike,

I wouldn’t disagree with that idea, however, I was thinking we could get Devin McCourtney in the first. I watch the combine for the CB’s. This kid has smooth moves and is very fluid. Most important is that he’s a physical corner who will come up and support the run. Which addresses your concern about tackling. The 2 2nds for DT/LB picks. I know a lot of people don’t care for Chilly, however, you have to give the team credit for drafting extremely well over the past 3 years. I wonder if people realized the Vikes had there whole 2009 draft class playing in the NFC Championship game. I’m just putting out food for thought. It’s nice to dream once in awhile!

Fred loves Norses wheeling and dealing. BUT… here’s a risk:

A step back at left DE. Brian Robinson might be fine, but if he was a better option than Ray Ray, the Viking coaches would have put him in there already. We’ve lost depth at DE, if there is no plan to replace Ray. The Defensive line has been the strength of the defensive, weakening that area will impact our already weak corners and safety. Please remember a couple years back when opposition Quarterbacks had all stinkin’ day to throw? Good corners can’t hold up when a QB is given plenty of time, never mind the two guys we have who aren’t elite cover corners to begin with.
    – This past year we replaced 40% of our offensive line (Birk and Cook), and frankly they were a less than stellar crew, some games they sucked. We often hear how continuity is such a key component of the offensive line. Fred hopes to see the line play much better as a result of the fact that they will be playing together for another year. Freds been whining about getting more (and better) offensive lineman via the draft and I hope they get some. We can get younger via the draft.

Sometimes the best move is no move at all, just build through the draft unless a blatant weakness exists. Let’s not go too fantasy football and end up rebuilding the offensive line again. We don’t need another year of these guys getting used to each other.
    If the Vikes were 9-7 or 10-6 last year, Fred would say let’s tinker. Too close to tinker right now unless the upgrade is through the draft or so very clear that the risk was minimal. It makes for a boring off season.

• Norseman66 says:

I actually think the O-line became a weakness last year. The last 4-5 game the Vikes had a hard time running the ball and McKinnie became a human revolving door and did not IMO deserve a pro bowl bid. Hutch is starting to get up there in years and OG is a position that the Vikes should have fairly high there list of needs. The draft is a risk also. Who knows, maybe we could get the Raiders to give us their 1st pick for Cook since they waste their draft picks anyway!!

14. Adam Warwas says:

Good morning guys. Good conversation going on here.

I just wanted to reiterate that I think Robison can do the job, and perhaps even better than Edwards. The real loss would be Robison’s versatile ability to play anywhere on the line because he is tied up being a starter. Make no mistake, his abilities have kept him from getting the starting gig, but perhaps for no longer.

With that being said, I vote “no” on the Edwards thing now after thinking about for a night. I would be double pissed that work is going to keep me from watching the first round if we had TWO picks! 🙂

15. Norseman66 says:

Adam,

I took 3 days of vacation next month, just by coincidence, they fell on the the 22nd-24th. I have neighbors that are Texan and Dolphin fans. We just crack up the BBQ and chill a few “adult beverages” and have ourselves a draft party. You never know you could come down with a case of the Purple Flu. I heard that could last up to 3 days!!

Haha, I was actually applying for my two days off when I learned that April 22nd was THE ONE DAY OF THE YEAR where I absolutley could not miss work. Annual share holders meeting. Ugh.

Sounds fun though, I also have Dolphins fans as my closest friends. I used to have a Saints fan friend… and then I dis-owned him.

Next year, I’m coming to your place!

• Norseman66 says:

C’mon down!! I live in Texas now after retiring from the Navy. Born and raised in MN though. This is great place to live despite those pesky Cowboy and Texan fans. Any word on LT’s visit to NY. I haven’t seen anything all morning. Yesterday it was minute by minute update. Today, There’s nothing but crickets chirping which is kind of strange.

No word that I can kind, which is a testament to the good work Judd Zulgad did yesterday. No way the NEw York beat writers are standing out in the cold following aorund LT’s limo.

Hey Adam. To Freds last point, we have to improve if we are gonna take the next step, we cant stand pat especially with a tougher schedule. So you have to take risks and try to get better.

Agreed, Johnny, but calculated risks.

I think all too often the forementioned continuity is underappreciated. How many changes is one allowed to make before you are no longer the team you were last year?

If Ray stays that is fine with me. I just feel like he is not a career Vike and that we’d lose him next year anyways, so might as well get a first rounder.

Heck, if it weren’t for the CBA negotiations, he’d had been a UFA this year and probably would’ve left without any compensation. A 1st rounder would be a bonus.

AK –

Used to think the same thing that Robinson was better than Ray Ray. But Fred’s going to rely on the coaches to make that call. So far they must not think so. Something must be holding him back.

I honestly think it was his versatility holding him back Freds.

Think about it which would you rather have:

DE #1 start at left end while DE #2 backs up every position on the D-Line, and takes over for NT #1 and DE #1 on passing downs.

or

DE#2 starts at left end while DE #1 backs him up because the only position he is capable of playing is DE.

Adam, lets say we get the 24th for Ray, how does that work when we go after a 1st round tendered RFA? Do we choose witch 1st rounder the other team gets or do they? Or is there a rule in place for that?

Pretty sure we lose our original pick before all others, unless it is negotiated as a trade.

Thats interesting. We would keep 24 and give up 30, that could be huge come draft day. What about if we end up with 24 and 30, how far up could we get by pooling them together in a trade?

19. Norseman66 says:

Hate to run guys, but time to get ready for work. Thanks for the great opinions today. Always great to kick the can around with Purple fans. Catcha down the road!

20. VAVike says:

Big J,
    Pooling the two first round picks would get you to the number 9 pick. They com to 1360 points and number 8 is 1400 points. I don’t know that we are all bashing Ray Ray, but why wouldn’t the saints take a shot at him. We have to have a plan in place.

Thanks for the info VA. I dont mean to bash Ray he is a good player but I hate his attitude. If we could move up to 9, who would still be there? I know Adam loves all the speculation.

Not for the price of two number ones Johnny!

You’re a damn kook!! If Bulaga can play tackle and guard at the same time, perhaps!

22. Adam Warwas says:

Agree, only reason to move to #9 is if Berry, Bradford, Clausen, G. McCoy, or Suh fall that far… maybe Haden.

#9 is the slot according to the depth chart, but the top 5 teams are desperate to get out and avoid that big $$$ rookie deal. I suspect the Vikes could move all the way to #1 if they wanted to.

Donkey Kong Suh is the only guy Freds would even THINK about trading up for that kind of value.

24. starrc10 says:

I hope ‘Mukong Suh knows how big of a compliment that is Fragiles.