A Running Back In Round One?

I have secretly wondered to myself what the Vikings would do if C.J. Spiller inexplicably fell to the Vikings in the first round of the draft.

Logic would tell you that they would make every effort to trade down with a team desperate for running back help.

But what if the front office pulled the same move that they did when they unexpectedly drafted Adrian Peterson despite the presence of Chester Taylor on the roster and the need to fill plenty of other positions?

Lost in an article (scroll down to point #5) by Ed Thompson of Scout.com, the Vikings have been “sniffing around” this year’s top running backs.  According to Thompson, that includes guys of first round talent.

So, with Brett Favre not expected to make a decision about his future until after the draft, might the Vikings pull the trigger on a guy like Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Jonathan Dwyer, or Jahvid Best at the end of the first round in an effort to ensure Favre’s return?  Despite having a number of other positions in need of being addressed?

History would say, sure, it’s possible.

Thompson goes on to say that the Vikings also have to take into consideration that Peterson is set to make $10.7 million in 2011, that he leads the league in fumbles, and has become a high risk and high reward player.  Thompson suggests that the Vikings may begin preparations for a life-without-Adrian scenario.

That part of his musings are considered absolute hogwash by this lone blogger.

36 Responses to “A Running Back In Round One?”

The weakness is not in RB talent – AD, Harvin and Young – but in the run blocking up front.

Its one reason cited for LDT signing w/ Jets

2. krugjr says:

not a chance in a million Purple selects RB in rd 1 no matter who drops………agree with Lost, it’s the line, baby, not the back, Denver made that pretty clear…….starting RBs can be found in any round…starting lineman, rd 1… and rd 2 is pushing it……we will take BPA, lineman or DB in rd 1 & 2 and then it gets interesting with RBs, QBs in 3 & 4……after that, who cares, our late picks won’t make the roster anywway….which is why we should trade up in rd 2 or 3 and grab the guy we have targeted….give away all of Sat picks…..mostly cuz I’ll be working anyway!!!!

GO VIKES!!!!!

Krug, I hope an OT or DB falls to us at 30. I dont know if Childo would be able to pass on Spiller if he’s still on the board.

• Keith says:

I do not think that you are thinking this through. Granted our roster is relatively solid, but there are positions in need of depth where wasting picks trading up in a heavily talent laden draft would be foolish. We need depth at just about every position across the board. If anything use up some next years draft picks this year since next years draft will be thin after the first few rounds.

3. krugjr says:

PFT just posted a good one on Favre and Tomlinson…..

Krug, Just saw that on PFT. Who the hell can you believe anymore? Some of these so called journalists just cant be trusted.

4. krugjr says:

still think these top 3 RBs are too much like Percy and AD, and no need to duplicate talent….believe we really need that big back, that pound it up the middle type guy (most of you are sick of the krugmeister writing that)…Gerhart seems to be that type. but I doubt he falls to bottom of rd 3…

GO VIKES!!!!!

5. Viking John says:

I agree on the bpa, doesn’t matter if it is Weatherspoon, Williams, or one of the top S’s or CB’s.
    Go Vikes

6. krugjr says:

johnny….more on PFT…..pretty much like I thought, LT didn’t want to learn a new “system”, so he went with the familiar NY system……..sounds like someone coasting toward retirement to me!!!!!

the more that comes out, the more I’m glad he chose NY!

GO VIKES!!!!!

7. krugjr says:

can’t believe nearly have the voters think it’s OK to go RB in rd 1…….what am I missing here???

GO VIKES!!!!!

Krug, I think last years draft of Harvin wasnt very popular at the time but turned out pretty awsome so that could be on peoples minds. And ADs continuing case of the dropsies also comes into play and without Taylor to fall back on is another concern.

8. fozz44 says:

Drafting a running back early makes absolutely no sense at all when considering the pressing needs this team has at OL, DB, FB. Spiller would be enticing….but there is NO WAY he drops this far.

Fozz, the only thing that could be on their minds is, what if AD pulls a hammy or something and cant play. Without Chester we would be in deep sh t.

9. krugjr says:

I repeat…….there is no panic in house concerning RBs, or they wouldn’t have allowed CT to leave…….everyone knows this yr’s draft has starting RBs five rounds deep……even if AD goes down, what do we need to match….77 yds and a lost fumble? I believe with our roster and the draft, we are covered……………………and may we now move beyond “we didn’t get LT”………

GO VIKES!!!!!

10. krugjr says:

do I sound frustrated?????? I mean, just because I haven’t sold a surfboard since 2/22!!

JEFF! I never should have quit singing for a living!!!!!

GO VIKES!!!!!

I can see going OL,S,CB, or someone falling to us at 30th pick, As long as it isn’t a RB…

Unless somebody was on the phone and wanted a RB and we would have a couple good picks trading out of that spot…

Too many good RB’s in the draft to spend it on a 1st round pick, We are not sitting that bad to have to do that.

Hell no.

14. jianfu says:

I’d be fine with a running back under certain scenarios; you never want to fight your value board because you’re treating the draft like a trip to the grocery store (“we need a cornerback, a linebacker…”). And running back might be a bit of an underrated need amongst Vikings fans, anyway. We’ve taken the position for granted for a while now, but nobody has just one running back these days. We’re talking probably at least 25% snaps, many in high-leverage situations. Maybe Young or Ian Johnson can step up, or…maybe they were both undrafted for a reason.

That said, I agree with those who say guys like Spiller and Best sort duplicate what they can get out of Harvin in the backfield. Granted, nobody’s going to complain about too many weapons, and let’s not channel our inner Chillys and pretend there’d be something wrong with having BOTH Spiller and Harvin on the field at the same time on third downs. But given the excellent depth of this draft (we’re told), I just don’t see it: it’s probably most likely somebody they really like (non-RB) slips to them.

Most likely I think they grab a back later on. Even guys like Tennessee’s Hardesty and Auburn’s Ben Tate are now being projected as gone by early-mid third round or maybe 2nd round, so maybe they wait until the mid portions. I thought I read somewhere they were talking with Oregon’s Blount (the sucker puncher); he’d certainly fit the big-back/later-round option someone else discussed earlier…

15. bback says:

As a lifelong vikes fan I have to admit Farve was our best chance at a successful run at the super bowl, no matter the bad taste it left in my mouth to see farve in a purple jersey. Farve has done more in his career to ruin our chances of success than to help. So I hate the idea of a selfish player, coming back from “retirement” to feed his own ego, not because he loved our Vikings, leading our team. The league, all fans and the media developed and continue to feed to the Favre mystique, we can only blame ourselves for thinking he may return to address our teams need and not his own. We may be better off without him. Find a QB for the future. The Packers decided not to put up with him advancing his own agenda and seem to have not skipped a beat in their selection of Rodgers. We need to do the same. I can’t stand cheering for a former hated rival again. Don’t tell me we have to rely on GB’s old QB to continue to be successful. Farve will be remembered as one of the best to play the game…but he’ll be remembered as a Packer.

• c.carterhof says:

Why dont you go bbbbback to your Packer brethren. You will fit in bbbbbetter.

• Fragile Freds says:

Carters,

That was funny as hell.

I don’t know if bbacks is a Pack guy or not, but he had some interesting points of view. Fred hates Farve too. Honestly after coming that close, Fred still hopes he doesn’t come back to the purple. Yes, we are a better team with him, but Freds enjoys the contest more without Banjo playing.

Call your old pal bitter and narrow minded and you’d be right, but I hate that self centered egotistical bastard.

I enjoy the winning, I enjoy winning with Vikings even more. Send him back to the JETs where he belongs.

• c.carterhof says:

The stench of chedder is all around the dude Freds.

And quit being so narrow minded and bitter about old Bert. Its not his fault hes that way, he spent 17 years in Green Bay!

Do Vike really know which direction their going with # 30? If they’re having a private session with Chris Cook surely they’re not considering him as a first rounder?

Highest need position is cornerback. But you can find a good selection of CBs in second and third round. More difficult to find QB and OTs in later rounds.

Have to believe Cornerback and D Tackle are priority. But do Sapp & Kennedy buy Vike an extra year? Vike could take an offensive player – guard, QB or RB – if they felt a special guy was still on the board at #30.

17. Norseman66 says:

There’s one thing that everyone has to keep in mind, especially the last month before the draft. Believe no one and make no assumptions. Coach’s, GM’s for every team put out so much misinformation to hide their true intentions. So I would not read much if anything who and when the Vikes bring in for visits. Remember, this nothing more that a huge chess match for 31 of the 32 teams with only the team picking first is exempt.

• Fragile Freds says:

Norses is right, the smoke screen factor is big. But not at were the Vikes pick. Hell, no one gives a rats ass about who the Saints, Vikes, Jets or Colts MIGHT pick, effectively at the top of the second round.

Everyone else is thinking 2nd round and we are smoke screening? Nope not that late.

The Vikes can do as much of the shell game as possible, but Donky Kong Suh ain’t falling to the Vikes at 30. All the games, interest and deceit are done well before the Vikes go.

Freds agrees with Buds…O line, just pick the best guy available or trade down and then pick that communist from UMASS.

Now wait a minute, Freds. Communists are worse than Packers, so lets think about that a minute. Can’t we find a good American to draft at that position?

I promise not to go as nuts this year (I MAY have been wrong about Harvin!), but for the sake of the purple, can we PLEASE draft another top lineman early? Please! My goodness, we tendered Ryan Cook! Does that tell you how deep our hole is at OL?

And I’m with you Lost, on CB being at the top as well. In order to make another SB run, those two positions must be shored up.

19. coolio says:

Have you guys herd of tye hill. I wrote a small article on him on my site. I beleive he can improve our cb depth with paymah out

20. CSlinde says:

I have faith in Speilman and Co. to make a good decision. And, I remember one of your posts that brought up how they go in cycles with their free agency plans. From your list of remaining players it looks like a trash bin, save a gaurd or two.
    If they can get a couple of 2nd and 3rd round picks to play solid back up roles, why not another playmaker at 1? Who knows, maybe another draft day deal of some sort is in their ‘stream of conciousness’

21. coolio says:

CSlinde are you talking to me or adam

Anybody know anything about Bears FB McKie who the Bears released today? I’m guessing he could be upgrade over Tahi

Yes I believe Mckie is better than Tahi johnny. Dont know much about him, just that he’s better.

What the hell is wrong with you people! If the Vikes pick a RB in round one? Be upset!! With all of our other needs? Be very upset!