Veteran Cornerback Market Shrinks

Many of you wondered if the Vikings might make a play for a veteran cornerback in the weeks approaching the draft.  With Cedric Griffin’s ACL injury, Antoine Winfield’s contract de-escalator, Karl Paymah’s departure to San Francisco, and Asher Allen’s unknown skill level it would not have been surprising to go after a cornerback.

Two names that were often tossed around were Phillip Buchanon and Nathan Vasher.  Earlier this month, Buchanon was cut by the Lions and Vasher was cut by the Bears.

Today, however, those two guys are no longer options.  Multiple outlets are reporting that Vasher signed with the Chargers and Buchanon signed with the Redskins.

These two guys exiting the free agent market makes for much more slim pickings, and it appears very likely that the Vikings will not address their need for cornerbacks until the draft or possibly even later.

14 Responses to “Veteran Cornerback Market Shrinks”

Agreed Adam, One, possibly two depending on who’s left when it’s their turn in the later rounds of the draft.

If not two, I could see them picking up a FA later, When the cuts come before the season…

2. coolio says:

copycat 🙂 I already wrote almost the exact same article on my site. Did you hear that Mcnabb most likely won’t be a Viking Adam.

I wasnt too excited about these two anyway and obviously Speilman and co. werent either. And Charlies point about a FA after the cuts is certainly on their minds.

4. G.P. says:

What up boys? Glad I could join the party. BJ84 and PC two of my favorite fellas. I love ( no sarcasm ) how Warwas wrote “Unknown skill level” I feel thats a major improvement from the usual ” Why did we draft Asher? ” sentiment expressed in some of Warwas’s previous musings. I feel this is a giant leap in a good direction and have nothing but all out faith in the kid and his abilities. I like VG. It’s been an entirely too long day. The draft can’t get here soon enough. Then I can put my feet up and get back to my job of being a hardcore Asher A fan. The kid’s got it. It’s just a matter of time.

GP, my buddy, great to see ya. Dont worry tax season is almost over. (just an educated guess) It looks like the Vikes have alot of confidence in AA. If not they would’ve been more aggressive in FA.That’s just the cold hard facts.

• Purple Charlie says:

Hiya G.P. Good to hear from ya!!! I’m with ya on Asher, As Johnny said, I believe the staff likes him allot.

Your right, The draft can’t come soon enough, Everybody been buzzing about it!!!

5. G.P. says:

Thanks for the support fellas. I hope that the kid gets a serious chance to make his mark this season. I too, believe that the staff has taken a liking to Asher. As, they should. He’s a solid hard working dude. Let’s just hope that this affinity towards the kid translates into Asher getting his chance to shine and remove a few people’s lingering doubts about his skill level. I’ve said it before I’ll say it again kid’s a beast!